• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

And so it begins: Chicago Trib mentions Bryce for Northwestern coach

Started by valpopal, March 17, 2012, 10:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo84

A good succession plan Cmack might be to name Roger Powell Assistant Head Coach, pay him some serious bread, and then if (and I mean if) something happens after next year, you have built in continegncy for the players, incoming class and recruits. Having the succession plan in place hedges the bets, and smooths the disruptions. Not to make the Butler fans happy, but theirs and Xaviers succession plans have permitted those programs to remain stable and strong through Collier-Matta-Lickliter-Stevens, and Gillen-Prosser-Matta-Miller-Mack. The alternative is to try to lock Bryce up by with a multi-year big contract like Stevens. Whatever the extension says, I hope it contains similar clauses to Shaka Smart's which has if the coach leaves, he must provide home games to his former school with his new school.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

historyman

Quote from: bbtds on March 28, 2012, 08:36:05 AM

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 28, 2012, 10:57:35 AM
Quote from: Eaglebackr on March 28, 2012, 10:28:29 AM

StlVUfan:  if you will turn in your hymnal to Page 4 of this thread, you will see I said "reportedly", not "reported".  HUGE difference in meaning.

Noted.  In the context in which you used it, it was quite reasonable to interpret it as "reported".  Obviously that doesn't make that interpretation correct, just reasonable.

You might want to exercise your neck muscles. It's difficult to back pedal so much if you can't turn your head very easily and look behind you. You also should get one of those devices that make the sound of a truck backing up: "beep, beep, beep...." it helps people turn their heads towards you when you are back pedaling.   ;D

hoopfan22

You guys want to crown Powell and he has done nothing, I mean nothing to warrant being assistant head or head coach. I'd be more comfortable with Diebler or even Gore. I don't see Powell being here long either for the big boys will come calling for him.

lowposter

Reality check time.

All of those that have thought Bryce would be here for 20 years probably are understanding the realities.  He will be here until the job comes along which he wants.  There is nothing which will hold him here (career).  Why should there be.  A competitive person always wants to be the best they can be.  That will not happen at VU.

Regarding the facilities....do you really think that a 10,000 seat facility is the answer?  We averaged about 3500 in attendance this year.  Ok, spruce things up a bit.  Make the locker rooms/weight rooms a bit better.   But let's face it, Valpariaso In doesnt have the base for attendance, nor does VU have the students to fill up a big house.

lowposter

VULB#62

Quote from: lowposter on March 29, 2012, 08:45:04 AM
Reality check time.

Regarding the facilities....do you really think that a 10,000 seat facility is the answer?  We averaged about 3500 in attendance this year.  Ok, spruce things up a bit.  Make the locker rooms/weight rooms a bit better.   But let's face it, Valpariaso In doesnt have the base for attendance, nor does VU have the students to fill up a big house.

lowposter

I've been following this thread and I don't get the sense that there is a ground-swell movement among posters to build a huge palace.  My sense is that the vast majority just want a better fan experience and maybe another 1000 additional seats for those big games that a winning program attracts -- IOW what you are stating lowposter.  Actually, my thought is that it's not what we want -- it's what will satisfy Bryce and he may have a totally different agenda facility-wise.

vu72

Quote from: valpo84 on March 28, 2012, 10:46:03 PM
To close the loop, looks like Danny Manning will go to Tulsa.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7749070/danny-manning-agrees-coach-tulsa-sources-say

And, crusaderjoe, and I say this in a positive manner, if it was/is so easy to just wave a wand and have a corporate or other alumni sponsor donate $18 million for an athletic facility (especially during 2008-2012 Recession, I think the University would like to know to whom they should be directing that request, or maybe you should drop into Loke Hall and help the Office of Institutional Advancement as I'm guessing there will be another campaign starting soon. And quite frankly, the ARC itself with the new floor and intimate surroundings is fine. The basketball offices are nice, and they have a practice facility. Yes, a spiffy, all encompassing basketball only facility like Wake Forest has would be a nice goal for the men's and women's programs. But have you been in Cameron. It's in general, a dump. The setaing is atrocious, it's hot, it's uncomfortable, and your knees are in your ears if you try to sit in the bleachers directly behind the benches. The upper tier looks like an old Y gym. They have a very nice weight facility that all the Duke athletic programs use, and the offices are very nice but not too dissimilar to the ARC office, except they are upstairs in Cameron. You know what makes the difference at Duke -- it's not the facility -- it's WINNING, the banners in the ceiling, the pictures of championship teams lining the corridors of the too cramped hallways you have to walk down to get to the wash room, the Championship trophies in the front office, and a tremendous coach sitting in his office designing the next championship.  If you build it does not by itself build championships. There's lots of white elephant stadia and conference centers around the country. Valpo has been able to win because of coaching and players. Yes, I don't disagree that we need to enhance the "fan experience" and the practice and workout facilities. I also agree to blow out the wall and add more chairback seating and corporate boxes on the chairback side, but the University also needed to upgrade a lot of campus first. Now the next phase are these other functions. In the end, academics and students, not the 26 basketball players, needed upgrades first, and that also includes a REC facility for them that would also ease congestion in the ARC for basketball and other sports. Sometimes it's about using resources effectively and cost efficiently in smaller bites than blowing a bunch of money on an elephant.

I couldn't have said it better and I won't try.  We all think the facilities could be better and President heckler has said in this announcement that the University is committed to having a first class program, something I don't remember Alan Harre saying. We all seem to forget the efforts and improvements that HAVE happened to take pressure off of the ARC and/or improve the varsity athlete experience.  Remember, since the ARC was built women's athletic programs have been added. We can't just say, under Title 9, that we are going full bore to add whatever to MEN"S basketball.

We have added the Mosak Performance Center, a very nice basketball practice facility (for both men and women--see Title 9 comment), a terrific basketball wing for both men and women--see Title 9 comment and most recently a new floor and new scoreboard.  These things hardly say "we don't care" or we aren't doing anything for our premere sport. As '84 said, we have gone through a very difficult period economically and are still in it, yet we have, as a University, dedicated to ALL students, moved forward with some thing we really need like a new library (really--did anybody see the old one before demolition???) or a new union (really--did anybody hang around the old old prior to demolition???) , both of which were built a LONG time befor the ARC.

People, these are complex issues.  The Adminstration has now purchase a bunch of land from the hospital and Mr. LaBarbera has said openly that a new fieldhouse is high on the list of necessities.  This will take ENORMOUS pressure off the ARC and make room for the additions/renovations all of us would like. 

I really think these things are coming, maybe not at the speed many would like, but they are coming.  I'm now finished with my construction comments and want only the best for Valpo as we all do.  Peace and best wishes to anybody like crusaderjoe who is probably pissed off at me--sorry!!   :(
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

RS

Like VULB#62 and vu72, the need for a new "larger" arena is not necessary. An upgrade of the facilities would be the logical way to go. As a VU grad who has been going to games since the late 60's the ARC was a big improvement over Hilltop. If I remember right the ARC was built with the ability to move out walls and increase the seating size. What would be nice would to have chairback seats all around the court and with perhaps a maximum seating capacity of 6500 or so. (roughly about 1000 more than now). We do need more restroom facilities as they become quite crowded where the attendance runs more than 4500 or so. Another refreshment area would be nice and opening up the northwest corner ticket window and entrance again as in previous years. We are not Indy - Detroit - Chicago - Milwaukee - Dayton or Cleveland - a 8000 plus arena is not needed. Lets work with what we have. As for building a better arena to keep Bryce or any other coach from leaving and going to a more prestigious conference - well that will not work. Homer was an exception with his 20+ years here.

agibson

Quote from: vu72 on March 28, 2012, 04:21:15 PMThe bucks seem to be all that matters.  Sad, but true...

I'm behind on this thread, so sorry if this has been covered.

But, I'm getting a lot of this "show me the money" feeling on this thread.

When has a VU coach ever demonstrated this attitude?  Is this in the Drew DNA?  Homer must have passed up lucrative offers in the late 90's.  Bryce may now have, or might soon enough.

I didn't get the feeling that Scott's departure was primarily motivated by the $$.  I thought of it more as wanting an opportunity to build a nationally competitive program.  Homer might have said that he wanted Valpo to be nationally competitive (I don't recall), but obviously there's a difference between BCS-ball (even if Baylor started from the low end of the BCS!) and mid-major ball, and it's not quite so simple as "mid-major + $5M/year".  I respect Whelliston's financial arguments, but it's not _just_ $$, or, at least, $$ aren't going to allow you to turn on a dime. 

agibson

Quote from: valpogal on March 28, 2012, 08:31:22 PM
Well that was a few day ego fest for Bryce.

That seems unkind.  Maybe Bryce enjoyed the few day "trip", maybe not.  But, it seems like a pretty minor blip.  Small in significance for Valpo, likely, even compared to the Butler team: a strong team in the conference heading for greener pastures.

agibson

Quote from: vu72 on March 29, 2012, 09:30:56 AMWe all think the facilities could be better

I'm not sure I'm sold on this.  I'd like to see the argument clearly articulated, one of these days.  Maybe that's happening now, over in the "facilities" thread.

Others, too, have articulated the series of improvements, and positives of what we have now.

Maybe better chairbacks are possible.  I wouldn't mind having something to lean back against, sure.  But, having tried our chairbacks once, I actually preferred the sight-lines from the bleachers (either upper or lower).  So, for me personally, chairbacks (or luxury boxes, etc, etc.) are no kind of priority.  But, maybe they would attract a certain clientelle.  Maybe enough to make them financially viable - but I'd be curious to see the numerical analysis.

agibson

Reality check time.

All of those that have thought Bryce would be here for 20 years probably are understanding the realities.  He will be here until the job comes along which he wants.  There is nothing which will hold him here (career).  Why should there be.  A competitive person always wants to be the best they can be.  That will not happen at VU.

Lowposter's not the only one speaking in this vein, nor probably the most extreme.

But, what's the phrase?  Step back from the windows?  I don't think having conversations with a couple of other universities changes my feelings about Bryce one lick.  Nor my thoughts as to his likely future.

He has definite attachments to this university, and this community.  He could, quite possibly, have a very successful career here.  He could, very plausibly (if with nothing approaching certainty), help take VU basketball to "another level".

If he continues to win lots of games, he'll have lots of other options, too.

Will he and his family be satisfied at Valpo, for the long haul?  Maybe, maybe not.  Having some thoughts and plans as to succession (as with Homer-Scott, Homer-Bryce) is entirely prudent and reasonable.

But, I'm _far_ from ready to give up on Bryce, to somehow wish he'd have left this year!  To be convinced he's leaving soon.

Let's enjoy his tenure while he's here.  Let's wish him a long and successful coaching career - hopefully with a good chunk of it, and great success, at Valpo.

agibson

Sorry for four (five?) posts in a row!  Catching up on a busy thread.

wh

Quote from: hoopfan22 on March 29, 2012, 07:59:22 AM
You guys want to crown Powell Andes  he has done nothing, I mean nothing to warrant being assistant head or head coach. I'd be more comfortable with Diebler or even Gore. I don't see Powell being here long either for the big boys will come calling for him.

What do you mean he's done "nothing, I mean nothing" to be asst or head coach?  Not head coaching material?  Less seniority?  What?  Please explain.  Then explain how that fits with your second comment that bigger programs will be after him, whereas I'm pretty sure no larger programs will be after any of our other assts.

sectionee

When I win the mega millions Friday night we'll get that new athletic facility moving.  8)  :thumbsup:

wh

Quote from: agibson on March 29, 2012, 11:44:43 AM
Quote from: vu72 on March 29, 2012, 09:30:56 AMWe all think the facilities could be better

I'm not sure I'm sold on this.  I'd like to see the argument clearly articulated, one of these days.  Maybe that's happening now, over in the "facilities" thread.

Others, too, have articulated the series of improvements, and positives of what we have now.

Maybe better chairbacks are possible.  I wouldn't mind having something to lean back against, sure.  But, having tried our chairbacks once, I actually preferred the sight-lines from the bleachers (either upper or lower).  So, for me personally, chairbacks (or luxury boxes, etc, etc.) are no kind of priority.  But, maybe they would attract a certain clientelle.  Maybe enough to make them financially viable - but I'd be curious to see the numerical analysis.

Shouldn't you recuse yourself from this discussion, professor agibson?   ;)

agibson

Quote from: wh on March 29, 2012, 12:12:18 PM
Shouldn't you recuse yourself from this discussion, professor agibson?   ;)

Heh - I am sensitive to this, on multiple levels.  But, we all wear at least a couple of hats.

I can totally see someone a bit older than me preferring to pay more for chairbacks, more comfort, even at the expense of degraded sight lines.

I'm a little skeptical about having corporate-entertainment type facilities, sky boxes or the like.  Or, in general, to a more "luxurious" fan experience.   It's far from obvious to me that this would entice more people in, or at a higher price point.  Far from obvious that there's an under-served need for Valpo-area corporate entertainment.  But, indeed, I'm not a business person.  All of this may, admittedly, be a knee-jerk reaction to the era of community-financed stadiums and the like.  I suppose that there's a reason sky boxes are a big thing for professional stadiums - they may well pay the bills in the right market.  (I don't mean to deliberately move the goalposts here - I realize that noone's arguing too loudly for skyboxes at VU.)

Another men's room.... maybe I could get behind you there.  Those lines were long at the Butler games!  I wouldn't have minded Wrigley-style troughs.

MattCarter

Quote from: agibson on March 29, 2012, 12:20:12 PM
Quote from: wh on March 29, 2012, 12:12:18 PMShouldn't you recuse yourself from this discussion, professor agibson?   ;)
Heh - I am sensitive to this, on multiple levels.  But, we all wear at least a couple of hats. I can totally see someone a bit older than me preferring to pay more for chairbacks, more comfort, even at the expense of degraded sight lines. I'm a little skeptical about having corporate-entertainment type facilities, sky boxes or the like.  Or, in general, to a more "luxurious" fan experience.   It's far from obvious to me that this would entice more people in, or at a higher price point.  Far from obvious that there's an under-served need for Valpo-area corporate entertainment.  But, indeed, I'm not a business person.  All of this may, admittedly, be a knee-jerk reaction to the era of community-financed stadiums and the like.  I suppose that there's a reason sky boxes are a big thing for professional stadiums - they may well pay the bills in the right market.  (I don't mean to deliberately move the goalposts here - I realize that noone's arguing too loudly for skyboxes at VU.) Another men's room.... maybe I could get behind you there.  Those lines were long at the Butler games!  I wouldn't have minded Wrigley-style troughs.
I agree agibson on this one.  If anything, we should add more CHEAP bleacher seats.  The way to get the region behind the team is to offer a family friendly affordable D1 basketball experience.  Personally, that is why I get season tickets (in the bleachers)...they are very affordable.  I can watch all the games at home for free.
The two greatest things on earth?  Short hair cuts and Valpo Victories!

okinawatyphoon

lowposter

Ok, I'm still not seeing a single person calling for a 10,000 seat facility, so I'm not sure why this keeps coming up as an argument. 99% of people on this board are just looking for a better fan experience and a few more seats to complete a more "bowl-like" shape. We just want an intimate playing atmosphere with better restrooms, locker rooms, etc. 
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

historyman

Quote from: agibson on March 29, 2012, 12:20:12 PMAnother men's room.... maybe I could get behind you there. 

I'm just in that kind of mood.....if we get more mens' rooms you won't have to get behind him....you'd have your own stall or urinal.  :o 

lowposter

I think Bryce used the leverage available at the time to secure a better contract (by interviewing at other schools).  Homer did the same after the run in 1998 (wasnt it St. Louis University he was rumored to be considering?).  I have no idea of the contract Bryce has (or had), but the USA Today (today) listed coaches salaries for participating tournament teams and McCollum of Detroit was around $350k.   Cannot image Bryce was at that level before this week....maybe not now, but probably more respectable.

I do not know Bryce on a close level and do not have a CLUE what his motivations are, but I can speculate.  On one hand he has a father that was quite content to be an "old school" coach which lived in one community and coached until it was time to retire....twice.  Similar to a number of very good accomplished NAIA type coaches in the state of Indiana that stayed at one school for 20-30 years.  Remember where Homer came from (Bethel).  Scott, on the other hand, seems more in the mold of the new breed of coaches.  I would expect Scott to move on from Baylor at some point for a greener pasture.  Perhaps not, maybe there is enough of his father's influences for him to stay at Baylor.

So, Bryce has seen father and brother become very successful, each with their own style.  Do not expect him to be his father...nor his brother. 

Facilities....I would agree with knocking out the north wall.  Makes sense to me.  Corporate boxes?  I do not see the need in Valpo...not the base of business here.  No publically traded companies, nor huge VU booster privately held companies. 

Butler is in a great situation with a shrine to basketball and a program to match that shrine.  If they scoot to the A10, that will be one less sell out yearly for the ARC.  The entire league will suffer if Butler leaves.  Dont think so?  Check out the attendance figures.  Butler draws on the road.  Let's hope the Bulldog stays, but my guess is they will move on.

Enough ramblings, time for another cold one and a view of the beach.
lowposter

MattCarter

Quote from: lowposter on March 29, 2012, 06:13:19 PMI think Bryce used the leverage available at the time to secure a better contract (by interviewing at other schools).  Homer did the same after the run in 1998 (wasnt it St. Louis University he was rumored to be considering?).  I have no idea of the contract Bryce has (or had), but the USA Today (today) listed coaches salaries for participating tournament teams and McCollum of Detroit was around $350k.   Cannot image Bryce was at that level before this week....maybe not now, but probably more respectable. I do not know Bryce on a close level and do not have a CLUE what his motivations are, but I can speculate.  On one hand he has a father that was quite content to be an "old school" coach which lived in one community and coached until it was time to retire....twice.  Similar to a number of very good accomplished NAIA type coaches in the state of Indiana that stayed at one school for 20-30 years.  Remember where Homer came from (Bethel).  Scott, on the other hand, seems more in the mold of the new breed of coaches.  I would expect Scott to move on from Baylor at some point for a greener pasture.  Perhaps not, maybe there is enough of his father's influences for him to stay at Baylor. So, Bryce has seen father and brother become very successful, each with their own style.  Do not expect him to be his father...nor his brother. Facilities....I would agree with knocking out the north wall.  Makes sense to me.  Corporate boxes?  I do not see the need in Valpo...not the base of business here.  No publically traded companies, nor huge VU booster privately held companies. Butler is in a great situation with a shrine to basketball and a program to match that shrine.  If they scoot to the A10, that will be one less sell out yearly for the ARC.  The entire league will suffer if Butler leaves.  Dont think so?  Check out the attendance figures.  Butler draws on the road.  Let's hope the Bulldog stays, but my guess is they will move on. Enough ramblings, time for another cold one and a view of the beach. lowposter
real good stuff said in here brother!
The two greatest things on earth?  Short hair cuts and Valpo Victories!

historyman

Quote from: sectionee on March 29, 2012, 12:02:20 PM
When I win the mega millions Friday night we'll get that new athletic facility moving.  8)  :thumbsup:

I'm not sure which is more likely. That you or another poster here will win the $540,000,000 lottery jackpot or whatever it is now or that Valpo donors will give the money needed for athletic facilities upgrades.

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Crap, if I win the $540+ million, I would easily donate enough money to make something happen lol.  How much money does someone need?
"Don't mess with Texas"