• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

What about next year?? - Lavonte Dority added

Started by vu72, March 18, 2012, 02:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Bryce is already thinking about it:

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/basketball/college/drew-already-has-eye-on-next-season/article_160ea90f-f86c-5dc5-ab47-2fb6d7bcfefe.html

So what about you?  And I don't mean what we need to repeat as conference champ, but rather, what do we need to make it to the Sweet Sixteen??

We have one scholarship to give plus the chance for our guys to improve.  Not sure what is out there for the scholarship and an impact player, but, here are a few thought on things that could make a difference for us from existing players:

Erik Buggs:  Pretty simple, improve his shooting from the 3 to 25%.  We saw him make a couple of 3's against Butler in the semis.  If he could do that on a regular basis the defense has to change.
Ben Boggs/Matt Kenney:  I view these two as cut from the same cloth.  About the same size, same toughness and both good rebounders especially for their size.  Improve your shooting.  Ben particularly was a scoring disappointment.  They both could disappear and that needs to change.  We need a third CONSISTENT scoring option and they could be the answer.
Jay Harris:  Again, consistent shooting.  Hot and cold. Better ball handling and decision making.  I fully expect that to occur as he matures.
Richie Edwards:  He developed into our best third option.  The improvement from the beginning of the season was dramatic.  If it continues then, look out.
Bench:  Vucic and Kurth:  Keep improving or prepare for more splinters.

New guys:  I really think Bobby Capobianco could be a difference maker.  I'm thinking Kevin with an outside shot and probably more versitile.  He will be the beast we lacked to back up Kevin if in foul trouble or injured.  Vashil Fernandez:  Probably needs another year of experience and maturity, although I've never even seen him practice!!  Obviously just a guess.  If he can become a legit shot blocker then we really have something.  The two new bigs will make a huge difference.

So, if we could pick a new guy who would be available for next year, would it be another big, or another 6'5" athlete who can score, like, say what we expected from Dino or maybe a slightly smaller Richie?  Thoughts?? 
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

sectionee

We need a scoring point guard or some athletcism. Leke or the kid from VCA in Valpo should really be considered if their academics are ok.

VUfan

:)howabout working on winning in the post season more often then once every five years!!

vu72

Quote from: VUfan on March 18, 2012, 05:50:17 PM
:)howabout working on winning in the post season more often then once every five years!!

Thanks for the stupid response.  Maybe you should read the post before saying something.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

Unless someone unexpected comes along late in the process the way Kevin did, at this stage of recruiting and given the addition of Capobianco and Fernandez, my guess is that Bryce will likely go the transfer route, someone who will redshirt next year (2012-2013) but add maturity to the young team he will have in 2013-2014, perhaps someone like Brad Karp, who has been mentioned on the forum before.

DMvalpo18

Quote from: valpopal on March 18, 2012, 06:50:32 PM
Unless someone unexpected comes along late in the process the way Kevin did, at this stage of recruiting and given the addition of Capobianco and Fernandez, my guess is that Bryce will likely go the transfer route, someone who will redshirt next year (2012-2013) but add maturity to the young team he will have in 2013-2014, perhaps someone like Brad Karp, who has been mentioned on the forum before.

Is Brad Karp in Junior College, or is he D1?

EddieCabot

I agree on the transfer idea.  Bryce and staff are probably on the phone right now contacting guys who might help the program.

hoopfan22

Quote from: sectionee on March 18, 2012, 04:00:38 PM
We need a scoring point guard or some athletcism. Leke or the kid from VCA in Valpo should really be considered if their academics are ok.

No..and NO.

FWalum

Quote from: DMvalpo18 on March 18, 2012, 10:34:35 PMIs Brad Karp in Junior College, or is he D1?

Karp goes to Saint Xavier University. SXU is a NAIA Division I school.  He averaged 23.6 PPG, 8.5 RPG, 1.9 APG and 1.56 StlPG.

Brad Karp roster info
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

EddieCabot

Quote from: EddieCabot on March 18, 2012, 10:41:44 PM

I agree on the transfer idea.  Bryce and staff are probably on the phone right now contacting guys who might help the program.

Looks like they got their man ... per a re-tweet from PantherU, South Florida transfer LaVonte Dority is heading to Valpo.  Can't confirm beyond the Twitter report.

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=204993632

VULB#62

I went to the Bulls athletic site, but got confused.  Can someone explain why his name does not appear on any USF BB roster:  2009-10, 2010-11 or 2011-12?  I don't know how these things work, but has he been vaporized because he decide to Xfer?

vuweathernerd

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 20, 2012, 09:49:08 PM
I went to the Bulls athletic site, but got confused.  Can someone explain why his name does not appear on any USF BB roster:  2009-10, 2010-11 or 2011-12?  I don't know how these things work, but has he been vaporized because he decide to Xfer?

he was there earlier as part of 2010-11. apparently he didn't play at all this year. so he would have 2 years of eligibility starting in 13-14.

VULB#62

Thanks vuweather -- it's like he never existed.  You guys out there are more familiar with this kid I'd guess as he's out of Chicago, right?.

wh

ESPN/Scout rated him at 90.  He chose SFL over IU, Baylor, New Mexico and Wisconsin.  If he played as a Freshman and set out this year as a sophomore, doesn't that mean he will be eligible to play next year - and have 3 years of eligibility left?  Or not?

valporun

Unless I'm wrong, I believe, since he 'redshirted' this season, he would sit out his transfer year, and only have 2 years remaining?

wh

Someone on the DePaul message board said he was playing at SF at beginning of season and quit after he lost his starting pos.  He enrolled at Triton Jr College in Jan - just going to school - no BB.

valpo4life

From what I have heard, Dority left South Florida after the fall semester and went to a JUCO school. By doing this he should be eligible immediately.

chef

once he started the season at USF, he cannot start the following season at another D1 school, unless he graduates from the JUCO. This is why Ben Boggs had to sit out the first semester this past season. Dority may not be in the same situation because he'd have a two-year degree.. We'll know more over the next few days. Don't know all the details about the lack of playing time at USF, but he was a huge get for them out of high school, having received offers from IU, Kansas, Baylor and Wisconsin. I would hope that this makes more sense than offerring the one remaining scholarship to Brad Karp. Although, I have little doubt that Brad would be a productive player if he transferred to Valpo.

justducky

Quote from: wh on March 20, 2012, 11:53:22 PM
Someone on the DePaul message board said he was playing at SF at beginning of season and quit after he lost his starting pos.  He enrolled at Triton Jr College in Jan - just going to school - no BB.
Found the same imformation but from different sources. Looks to me that at worst he might be elligible (like Boggs was) for the second semester.Touted as an excellent playmaker with great scoring potential. If he is also a rock solid defender (of which I read no mention) then he would fill all of my requirements as that extra point guard extra defender that next years team might need to complete the puzzle. But for all we know they may want him to sit the entire season so that he doesn't lose the year of elligibility while playing in just one semester. Part of this decision might depend on how the Kurth issue plays out.

lowposter

Chicago Hoops confirms he is going to VU.  He wants a family environment with winning where he can showcase his skills. 

I know nothing about him, but at 6'1" we need a true point guard, so hopefully it works out. 

Just speculation, but we saw what happened last year with Witt and the decision to eliminate him from the program.  The progam seems to have set a standard for players who do not progress.

lowposter

valpopal

Quote from: chef on March 21, 2012, 12:22:09 AM
I would hope that this makes more sense than offerring the one remaining scholarship to Brad Karp. Although, I have little doubt that Brad would be a productive player if he transferred to Valpo.

If Dority is eligible second semester next year, which I also have heard might be the case, he would take Kurth's spot on the bench as the next available guard, and I wouldn't be surprised if another scholarship spot opened up, which still could go to Karp or someone else.

vufan75

An article from Illinois Prep Bulls-eye re: transfer Lavonte Dority. It appears he indeed might be eligible next season, as long as he gets his juco degree which he is pursuing.

This article also mentions another potential recruit that Valpo is in the mix for, this one for the class of 2013. David Cohn has been offered a scholarship by Valpo and also by several other HL schools, in addition to schools from other conferences.

http://ilprepbullseye.com/Dority_Valpo.html