• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Bryce Drew receives contract extension

Started by valpopal, March 28, 2012, 10:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

Valparaiso University director of athletics Mark LaBarbera announced today that Crusader men's basketball head coach Bryce Drew has agreed to a multi-year contract extension to continue his tenure as head coach of the Valpo men's basketball program.

"Valparaiso University is committed to building a high-quality, competitive basketball program," said university president Mark A. Heckler. "Bryce Drew has proven himself to be a leader of character and integrity, dedicated to upholding the University's values while striving for success, both on and off the basketball court. Coach Drew represents college basketball as it should be, and we proudly claim him as a Valpo alumnus who lives out our mission of leadership and service."

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2011-12/11600/bryce-drew-agrees-to-contract-extension-with-valparaiso-university/

vuweathernerd

well, ee, ask and ye shall receive. definitely good news.

agibson

Very good!  The standard response to courting from the outside, media rumors, (rumor mongering on assorted internet fora?), a contract extension!

We are excited that we've been able to partner with Bryce on a new contract which will keep him in a leadership role here at Valpo for the foreseeable future.

Any details coming out from elsewhere?  Beat writers with good noses?

agibson

Eight hours ago, Paul Oren was tweeting

Starting to hear word from the national scene that Bryce Drew to Mississippi State is a done deal. Trying to confirm on local level.

Naturally, he's current with the press release now.  But, how quickly these things move!

agibson

And of course, Paul's tweet two hours ago,
Valparaiso head coach Bryce Drew: "I have pulled my name for consideration for Mississippi State."

valpo84

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7749271/bryce-drew-says-return-coach-valparaiso-crusaders

Mentions that Bryce cancelled a Tulsa interview. Also mentions Rob Jeter as candidate for Miss State, but unlikely to get job.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

wh

Congratulations to ML and MH for jumping on this and saving the day.  This shows some real leadership.  Let's hope that part of what convinced Bryce to stay were assurances of an ARC renovation in the forseeable future.

BigMoSmithFan

Quote from: agibson on March 28, 2012, 10:21:25 PM
Eight hours ago, Paul Oren was tweeting

Starting to hear word from the national scene that Bryce Drew to Mississippi State is a done deal. Trying to confirm on local level.

Naturally, he's current with the press release now.  But, how quickly these things move!

Oren was reacting to a tweet from the editor of the Blue Ribbon Yearbook, a pretty well respected national college hoops writer who nevertheless ran with some premature "done deal" info today. If he had waited about ten minutes, he'd probably have held off, as pretty much every MSU beat reporter in the state of Mississippi knocked down that tweet immediately.  And in fairness to Paul, he added the disclaimer that nothing was confirmed and he was trying to do so independently.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: valpo84 on March 28, 2012, 10:27:23 PM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7749271/bryce-drew-says-return-coach-valparaiso-crusaders

Mentions that Bryce cancelled a Tulsa interview. Also mentions Rob Jeter as candidate for Miss State, but unlikely to get job.

beyond the arc tweeted that jeter was going to ole miss, yet they don't even have a coaching vacancy, according to espn. kinda had me befuddled for a while.

valpotx

Definitely good news and a collective sigh from Valpo alumni for at least another year  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

vufan75

Quote from: wh on March 28, 2012, 10:27:58 PM
Congratulations to ML and MH for jumping on this and saving the day.  This shows some real leadership.  Let's hope that part of what convinced Bryce to stay were assurances of an ARC renovation in the forseeable future.

Well said, and I agree with you!  :thumbsup:

sectionee

Quote from: vuweathernerd on March 28, 2012, 10:05:12 PMwell, ee, ask and ye shall receive. definitely good news.

Ha, I was quite pleased with the end results from yesterday!  This is still going to happen every year as long as Valpo keeps up the winning ways.  Thats life in the mid major though.

setshot

historyman

Quote from: setshot on March 29, 2012, 07:31:08 AM
Shucks! Maybe next year. :-*

If Bryce stays and wins for one more year how does that harm Valpo?

vuweathernerd

Quote from: historyman on March 29, 2012, 12:10:55 PM
Quote from: setshot on March 29, 2012, 07:31:08 AM
Shucks! Maybe next year. :-*

If Bryce stays and wins for one more year how does that harm Valpo?

valpo? no. but it forces setshot to be positive for a longer period of time.

valporun

You think another winning basketball season is going to keep setshot positive? I'm looking forward to football season, and what happens when the football team wins game #2 of the 2012 season... You thought the video of the A-Bomb dropping was big, wait until you see setshot's head explode because he can't have anything negative to say about Crusader football improving!!!

vu72

Quote from: valporun on March 29, 2012, 01:29:03 PM
You think another winning basketball season is going to keep setshot positive? I'm looking forward to football season, and what happens when the football team wins game #2 of the 2012 season... You thought the video of the A-Bomb dropping was big, wait until you see setshot's head explode because he can't have anything negative to say about Crusader football improving!!!

LOL!   :rotfl:  Quite a vision!!   :o 
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vufan75

Quote from: vufan75 on March 29, 2012, 06:38:35 AM
Quote from: wh on March 28, 2012, 10:27:58 PM

Well said, and I agree with you!  :thumbsup:

Probably should be under the facilities thread, but I'm following up on earlier comments in this thread about ARC improvements. Below is from Mark Lazerus blog from today in the Post-Trib. Interesting comments by President Heckler that address the ARC improvements needed.

Bryce Drew is staying, but Valpo is preparing for the inevitable

By Mark Lazerus on March 29, 2012 12:15 PM| No Comments| No TrackBacks

Given his pedigree as a player, given his lineage as a coach, given Valparaiso's success in his first season as head coach, director of athletics Mark LaBarbera knew Bryce Drew would have suitors when the season ended.

Even now that Drew has turned down Mississippi State and signed a "multi-year" contract extension with Valparaiso, LaBarbera knows this is likely to become an annual rite of spring for as long as Drew stays.

"My hope is we've created a situation for Bryce that he'll be comfortable here for the forseeable future," LaBarbera said. "But he's a young man and I think he's going to have a lot of other opportunities. We have to be prepared that at some point, there'll be an opportunity that's too attractive for him to turn down, even as an alumnus and even as a native of Valpo."

LaBarbera said that means setting up a succession plan for if and when Drew does leave for another job.  LaBarbera pointed to Butler's success with internal promotions ever since Barry Collier left for Nebraska in 2000.  LaBarbera and Drew have been discussing such a plan since long before the season ended, when it became clear that Drew would have his suitors. Whether that's Roger Powell Jr., Luke Gore or Jake Diebler, the university would ideally like to have the next coach waiting in the wings -- just as Bryce Drew did under his father, Homer.

"That's the model we want to have," LaBarbera said.

The university declined to offer any specifics about the contract, but LaBarbera hinted that a raise was part of the deal.

"I would just say this -- Bryce needs to be compensated and the university is committed to compensating him in a way that's appropriate for a coach with those types of achievements," LaBarbera said. "Certainly, Valparaiso University doesn't have the ability on a financial basis to go head-to-head with an SEC school. So we're fortunate to have a head coach who values things in addition to the financial aspects."

Indeed, with six years in the NBA under his belt, money never has been Drew's primary motivating factor.

"In my conversations with him, he is focused on continuing to build excellence at his alma mater," said university president Mark Heckler. "He has strong family ties to the area, obviously. But also, I think he sees -- at least, at this stage in his life -- the opportunity to build something and create a legacy. In my conversations with him, that's what he's focused on. If he changes his approach, and the game is to get as much notoriety and gain as much money as possible, there's no question he will move on. But I can tell you, from my conversations with him, those are not his top priorities right now. And we're trying to be very supportive of what he's trying to do in the program. Part of the reason why he's willing to stay here is that he's got support from my office, he's got support from the board, and we want to work with him to build something great here."

The university has made incremental improvements in the team's facilities and in the ARC itself -- adding a new floor two years ago and a new video scoreboard this past season -- but VU clearly lags behind some of the other schools in the Horizon League.

Butler's expected departure for the Atlantic 10 Conference following next season could mean an easier path to the NCAA Tournament, but it also could mean even less money for Horizon League schools, as the Bulldogs' postseason success in recent seasons has been a windfall for all 10 teams. But LaBarbera said the university and Drew are -- and have been -- on the same page. Whether that means higher pay for assistant coaches, renovations of the ARC or an upgrade in practice facilities, LaBarbera wouldn't say.

Heckler added that the university has long-term plans to significantly upgrade the "athletics quadrant" of the campus, including a new fieldhouse on the Porter hospital land, which will then allow the school to "gut" the ARC, build it out and drastically improve both the player and fan experience. As a private school, though, the timetable depends on donors.

"All the things Bryce and I have been talking about in connection with the basketball program really haven't changed since we started this conversation (about a new contract)," LaBarbera said. "We're aware of things we need to do to move our program ahead, we've been aware of things for some time and I think we've been making slow but steady progress on those. I think Bryce recognizes that. ... We're intent on having a basketball program that's of high quality, but at the same time competes with the values of the university. We understand there's an investment needed to made in that, and we've been working diligently to make steady progress."

So Drew will be back next season. And given that the Crusaders return just about everybody -- though with big men Bobby Capobianco and Vashil Fernandez becoming eligible next season, Richie Edwards and Hrvoje Vucic have both been granted their release and will transfer -- and two Division I transfers coming in, the Crusaders are in good shape to defend their regular season Horizon League championship.

But then the rumors will start again. Just like they have and will for Butler's Brad Stevens every spring. Just like they have and will for Milwaukee's Rob Jeter every spring. Just like they have and will for VCU's Shaka Smart every spring.

Drew's a nationally known commodity now, and the better he does at Valparaiso, the better the offers are going to get.

"One of the realities of being a mid-major is that when you do well, your coach is going to be sought after," LaBarbera said. "We're very happy he's staying. Give a lot of credit to him and to the Drew family and what they stand for. I think what they stand for is a wonderful complement for what the university stands for."

http://blogs.post-trib.com/lazerus/2012/03/bryce-drew-is-staying-but-valp.html

vuweathernerd

one way to make it happen quickly - somebody please win the mega millions tomorrow night!!!

DMvalpo18

Quote from: vuweathernerd on March 29, 2012, 07:14:05 PM
one way to make it happen quickly - somebody please win the mega millions tomorrow night!!!

Haha. That sure would do it. But Lazerus makes the point. Without donors it's not going to happen. I do think the donors will come though. It's just not going to be fast by any means.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: DMvalpo18 on March 30, 2012, 09:03:57 PM
Quote from: vuweathernerd on March 29, 2012, 07:14:05 PM

Haha. That sure would do it. But Lazerus makes the point. Without donors it's not going to happen. I do think the donors will come though. It's just not going to be fast by any means.

very true.

c'mon people donate now for the soon-to-be 'homer drew coliseum!' (and yes, that's what i'd want it called if i were to win.)

VULB#62

So as not to duplicate post, please see my post in facilities regarding the Mega Millions wishes of so many of us.  thanks.

milanmiracle

Quote from: valporun on March 29, 2012, 01:29:03 PM

Keeping my glass half empty philosophy...pretty sad when winning 2 games is an improvement. Dooh!
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

valpopal

Hard to believe, but the media are still naming Bryce among candidates for an open coaching position, this time throwing out his name along with Scott for the LSU job:

Possible LSU basketball coaching candidates to replace Trent Johnson        By Rowan Kavner / Special Contributor rkavner@gmail.com | Bio
   10:05 AM on Wed., Apr. 11, 2012 | Permalink
      A lot of names seem to be floating around as the successor to Trent Johnson for the LSU basketball head coaching position.
The Advocate's list    is comprised of Kermit Davis Jr. (Middle Tennessee  State), Jamie Dixon (Pittsburgh), Tim Floyd (UTEP ), Johnny Jones (North Texas), Gregg Marshall (Wichita State) and Reggie Theus (N/A).

The Times-Picayune's list   includes Johnny Jones (UNT), Tony Bennett  (Virginia ), Buzz Williams (Marquette), Scott Drew (Baylor), Bryce Drew  (Valparaiso) and Donnie Tyndall (Morehead State).

The most heavily discussed name and the one in both lists is Jones, a former LSU point guard who was also an assistant under former LSU coach Dale Brown.

Floyd is a Louisiana Tech  grad, Davis served as an assistant to former LSU coach John Brady and Bennett's wife is a Baton Rouge native.

valpo84

And Bryce and Scott's Dad was a Dale Brown assistant and Dale was at the game against Arizona in the 1996 NCAA Tourney (our first NCAA appearance).
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum