• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo in the south

Started by valpotx, August 15, 2012, 12:12:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

I thought I would relay a quick conversation I had with my new knee doctor today, when he learned I went to Valpo for undergrad.  I don't know if it goes in this section, but it does involve Valpo basketball. 

I saw Dr. Keith Meister today for the first time to get a cortizone shot in my knee, and during the 15 minutes he spent with me, he complimented Valpo a few times.  If you don't know him, just google his name, as if a guy like this knows us, it is a huge positive for how our name is thought of outside of the Midwest (Rangers surgeon, also many other MLB and other sports stars, most recent fame due to Ben Sheets' resurgence in Atlanta)! 

He asked where I played baseball, and when Valpo came up, his mood shot right up.  'Oh yeah, you guys make the tournament just about every year in basketball.'  When I corrected him that it had been a few years, he mentioned that, 'well, it still seems like it with how much I have seen you on TV.  All that Butler talk over the last few years didn't mean much to me, as I will always consider Valpo the country's favorite Cinderella.  I have watched a few games when you are on, especially the game against Butler each year.  It is a good school too from what I have heard.'  I couldn't stop laughing when he mentioned the Butler part.  I seem to get this type of reaction from people down here often, but not really the Butler part.  I figured it was worth sharing as it shows we are still in people's minds (my age and older at least)  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on August 15, 2012, 12:12:08 AM
I thought I would relay a quick conversation I had with my new knee doctor today, when he learned I went to Valpo for undergrad.  I don't know if it goes in this section, but it does involve Valpo basketball. 

I saw Dr. Keith Meister today for the first time to get a cortizone shot in my knee, and during the 15 minutes he spent with me, he complimented Valpo a few times.  If you don't know him, just google his name, as if a guy like this knows us, it is a huge positive for how our name is thought of outside of the Midwest (Rangers surgeon, also many other MLB and other sports stars, most recent fame due to Ben Sheets' resurgence in Atlanta)! 

He asked where I played baseball, and when Valpo came up, his mood shot right up.  'Oh yeah, you guys make the tournament just about every year in basketball.'  When I corrected him that it had been a few years, he mentioned that, 'well, it still seems like it with how much I have seen you on TV.  All that Butler talk over the last few years didn't mean much to me, as I will always consider Valpo the country's favorite Cinderella.  I have watched a few games when you are on, especially the game against Butler each year.  It is a good school too from what I have heard.'  I couldn't stop laughing when he mentioned the Butler part.  I seem to get this type of reaction from people down here often, but not really the Butler part.  I figured it was worth sharing as it shows we are still in people's minds (my age and older at least)  :)

What?  He didn't mention the women's bowling team??   :crazy:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

SadersofthelostArc

I'm guessing Meister is an approved surgeon under the MLB Player's Alumni Association insurance plan.  Tommy, let me know if this is accurate.

Good to hear anytime people recognize the Valpo name...but we shouldn't be too surprised anymore.

covufan

Quote from: valpotx on August 15, 2012, 12:12:08 AM

Sounds like your knee didn't need the cortizone shot for a few minutes, while you were beaming with pride!!

I remember being on a plane a few weeks after the '98 run and wearing a Valpo golf style shirt - several people said nice things or made comments.  Good feeling.  Thanks for the story.

koala

After reading this story I thought I would add mine.   When we were at the airport ready to board our flight to visit Valpo for the first time before Ryan had accepted the scholarship, I overheard an American guy talking about Indiana and basketball.   I turned around and asked him what he thought about Valpo as we were going for a visit and he spoke glowingly about the school, coaches and basketball program.   If I remember right he went to Indiana State University but said he had a soft spot for Valpo.   It certainly made us feel better knowing that this might be the right school for Ryan and it sure was.   Nice to speak to someone that was neutral and to hear such nice things  :)   

vu84v2

Since we moved to Lawrence (which has something of a basketball pedigree), I have met many people who have praised the Valparaiso program.

VULB#62

Not to throw water on the fire, but I've been in New England for way too many years (moving to WI inside of a year though) and very much to my chagrin nobody really is aware of the school out here.  But NE is very regionalist and adheres to the position that nothing exists west of the Hudson River.  The other factor is that it's hard for a Lutheran university to make in-roads in an area that is Irish Catholic and Italian Catholic to the core.  Glad the rest of the middle of the country (and Australia) are more aware.

covufan

Quote from: VULB#62 on August 15, 2012, 08:30:13 PM
Not to throw water on the fire, but I've been in New England for way too many years (moving to WI inside of a year though) and very much to my chagrin nobody really is aware of the school out here.  But NE is very regionalist and adheres to the position that nothing exists west of the Hudson River.  The other factor is that it's hard for a Lutheran university to make in-roads in an area that is Irish Catholic and Italian Catholic to the core.  Glad the rest of the middle of the country (and Australia) are more aware.
Wicked man, just wicked!  Directions to Valpo from New England: Take I-80 or I-90 West.  Turn left where the Dunkin' Donuts used to be, and you'll find Valpo!

VULB#62

Been there, done that.  It's not fun being a loner out here.  I have yearned for VU teams to come east a bit.  So far, FB at Marist has been the bulk of that. 

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on August 15, 2012, 08:30:13 PM

That is interesting, VULB#62. The first time I was ever wearing a Valpo sweatshirt outside of the Chicago and northwest Indiana region and it was recognized by a stranger was when I was in grade school in the '70's (my relative who was a staff member at VU had given me the sweatshirt) was at a pizza parlor near Fenway Park. I'll never forget the experience. My family and I were on vacation while my dad was at a symposium at Tufts University. At that time, in the '70's, before "the shot," and before Valpo had gone div.1, I couldn't believe anyone would know the name Valpo. They actually knew someone at Valpo that my sister, who was attending Valpo at the time, knew about. That's when I realized for the first time in my life what a small world it truly could be. 

VULB#62

Contrary to the picture I painted (mainly to make my point), there really are Lutheran churches out here, so my stereotyping of all of New England is a bit unfair.  I, myself, every once in a while, have seen a Valpo car window decal.  But it has been an infrequent exception.  President Heckler did a Strategic Plan briefing here in the Boston area not too long ago.  Wish I could have attended but was out of the area at the time.  I'm sure it was well attended, but probably not as heavily numbers-wise as, say, Cleveland or Cincinnati, Ohio.

But to support my point I emailed the admissions people and Barb Lieske, Director of Admission Programs in Valpo's Enrollment Management Office, replied immediately.  She is in the midst of the beginning of the school year, but got back to me right away.  She couldn't ping the Registrar office for new raw data, but she gave me a snapshot of the 2009 New England profile.

Connecticut = 5
Massachusetts = 3
Maine = 0
New Hampshire = 1
RI = 0
Vermont = 2

That's 11 out of an undergrad population of 2600 +/- or about 0.4%.  But then the VU.edu site profile shows that Lutherans make up only 36% of the enrollment.  So the congregations out here apparently don't understand their role as feeders to the mother university (tongue in cheek).

As an aside, Barb's rapid response is just one more reason why I cherish my Valpo experience.

Fact of the matter is that VU is a great educational value that many here in $$$-jaded New England don't quite grasp.  And it is only a 2 hour flight to O'Hare and a short ride to get here. A lot of New England colleges are a 3 and 4 for drive and the tuition now is $50K plus.

vu72

You hit it on the head 62. Barb Lieske is a star but indicative of the people who are Valpo.  Remember that Valpo is not nearly as Lutheran as when we were in school but certainly should be regarded as the Notre Dame of Lutheran higher education.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

78crusader

That 36% Lutheran figure is way high and is about double the actual number.

Paul

vu72

Quote from: 78crusader on August 16, 2012, 06:40:02 PM
That 36% Lutheran figure is way high and is about double the actual number.

Paul

And your source?  Or are you focused just on LCMS students?? Or are you just speculating?

VULB#62

valpospartan

VULB#62, you said:  "And it is only a 2 hour flight to O'Hare and a short ride to get here".  Short ride from O'Hare????    :crazy:

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on August 16, 2012, 08:02:40 PM
The 36% came off the VU.edu site.

My question was why he said it was "way high".

ipgis

Quote from: koala on August 15, 2012, 05:14:27 PM
After reading this story I thought I would add mine.   When we were at the airport ready to board our flight to visit Valpo for the first time before Ryan had accepted the scholarship, I overheard an American guy talking about Indiana and basketball.   I turned around and asked him what he thought about Valpo as we were going for a visit and he spoke glowingly about the school, coaches and basketball program.   If I remember right he went to Indiana State University but said he had a soft spot for Valpo.   It certainly made us feel better knowing that this might be the right school for Ryan and it sure was.   Nice to speak to someone that was neutral and to hear such nice things  :)

VULB#62

Quote from: valpospartan on August 16, 2012, 08:59:58 PM
VULB#62, you said:  "And it is only a 2 hour flight to O'Hare and a short ride to get here".  Short ride from O'Hare????    :crazy:

An hour and change, maybe on a good day versus two - three hours in my book is a short ride.  It's all relative.

valpotx

Interesting addition from my physical therapy session today, as my PT's Assistant noticed my Valpo baseball shirt.  He asked what I thought of Scott Drew, and I told him that he was a good Recruiter for us when at VU.  He said the general impression everyone else has outside of Baylor is that Scott is a cheater and a manipulator (he went to Texas A&M).  He did say that he likes Bryce and Valpo though  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Quote from: VULB#62 on August 17, 2012, 08:02:34 AM
Quote from: valpospartan on August 16, 2012, 08:59:58 PM

An hour and change, maybe on a good day versus two - three hours in my book is a short ride.  It's all relative.

The 80-mile trip to/from OHare is far less drudgery than it was even 4 or 5 years ago.  Lanes additions and major redesign of on/off ramps on the Borman have all but eliminated delays on the IN side.  And- with the advent of I-Pass, travel on the Tri-State is normally a breeze.  Typically, I can get door-to-door from Valpo in 90 minutes.

StlVUFan

I just made the trip from Valpo to USCF 3 times a couple of weeks ago.  Now I got off at Indianapolis street and took 41/LSD to what ultimately becomes 39th street and I'd say it still took between an hour and an hour and half.

historyman

Quote from: StlVUFan on: Today 02:53:11 PM

I just made the trip from Valpo to USCF 3 times a couple of weeks ago.  Now I got off at Indianapolis street and took 41/LSD to what ultimately becomes 39th street and I'd say it still took between an hour and an hour and half.

Ok, I'll act stupid and ask what is "USCF?"
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

chef

US Cellular Field. I usually make it in exactly an hour, and that's with a bit of traffic.

crusaderjoe

Wow, 1.5 hours to Sox park?  That seems long. Back in the day when I used to live in NWI I found that taking the Cline Ave. extension to the Toll Road was the quickest way to get to Chicago if taking 80-94 west. Maybe that's no longer the case. By the way, I always enjoyed taking Cline Ave. and running right through all of the mills and oil refineries.  Yeah, the scenery is dirty and industrial, but you get to see a piece of Indiana that is unorthodox to the rest of the state as a whole and is very nostalgic in many ways.