• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo in the south

Started by valpotx, August 15, 2012, 12:12:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

Quote from: chef on: August 27, 2012: 10:53:55 PM

US Cellular Field. I usually make it in exactly an hour, and that's with a bit of traffic.

Thanks, chef, maybe I should have figured it out but I'm not sure everyone on this board knew what it meant especially those outside of the Chicago area.

Quote from: crusaderjoe on: Today 06:15:27 AM

Wow, 1.5 hours to Sox park?  That seems long. Back in the day when I used to live in NWI I found that taking the Cline Ave. extension to the Toll Road was the quickest way to get to Chicago if taking 80-94 west. Maybe that's no longer the case. By the way, I always enjoyed taking Cline Ave. and running right through all of the mills and oil refineries.  Yeah, the scenery is dirty and industrial, but you get to see a piece of Indiana that is unorthodox to the rest of the state as a whole and is very nostalgic in many ways.

One thing I do know is the Cline Ave Bridge was torn down for safety reasons and Cline Ave is no longer an option for getting to Chicago.

Also agree that if it's taking more than an hour to get to US Cellular Field (without a major accident or other delay) you are going the wrong way. 
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

StlVUFan

I'm going the way I know, and I usually leave early enough to be seated for the Thunderstruck, which is all I care about.

Now, what I absolutely need to start doing is go find the shuttle parking, which is cheaper, plus they drop you off at the gate which helps my Dad.

At any rate, the original point here was that it shouldn't take one 2 hours or more to get from Valpo to Chicago or vice versa.

historyman

Someone gave you some bad advice, StlVUFan. It's easiest to stay on either I-80/94 to I-94 (Borman to Bishop Ford to the Dan Ryan--when I was a kid we jokingly called it the "Damn Ruined Excessway") or take I-65 or Hwy 130 to the Indiana Toll Road to the Dan Ryan. Get off at the 35th Street exit and go west and you are there. That will cut your 1.5 hour trip to an hour.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

StlVUFan

Quote from: historyman on August 29, 2012, 12:13:05 AM
Someone gave you some bad advice, StlVUFan. It's easiest to stay on either I-80/94 to I-94 (Borman to Bishop Ford to the Dan Ryan--when I was a kid we jokingly called it the "Damn Ruined Excessway") or take I-65 or Hwy 130 to the Indiana Toll Road to the Dan Ryan. Get off at the 35th Street exit and go west and you are there. That will cut your 1.5 hour trip to an hour.
I'm fine, thanks.

78crusader

Earlier in this thread there was some discussion about the percentage of Lutherans in the VU population.  I mentioned that I felt the 36% figure put out on the VU website was way overstated.  Last night my wife and I manned the VU booth at a college fair in Des Moines.  The materials we were given included a "VU fact sheet" that says that VU has 25% Lutheran students.  21% Catholic, too, by the way.

The Torch reported in September this year's freshman class actually had more Catholics than Lutherans. 

My question is: at what point does the percentage of Lutheran students get so low that VU can no longer claim to be a Lutheran institution?  20%? 10%?  We are heading in that direction, I think.

Paul

VULB#62

25 + 21 = 46.  Who are those other 54 percenters?

78crusader

Fact sheet says: 19% non responders; 27% other Christian faiths; 8% other faiths.

Paul

vu72

Quote from: 78crusader on October 30, 2012, 10:12:37 AM
Earlier in this thread there was some discussion about the percentage of Lutherans in the VU population.  I mentioned that I felt the 36% figure put out on the VU website was way overstated.  Last night my wife and I manned the VU booth at a college fair in Des Moines.  The materials we were given included a "VU fact sheet" that says that VU has 25% Lutheran students.  21% Catholic, too, by the way.

The Torch reported in September this year's freshman class actually had more Catholics than Lutherans. 

My question is: at what point does the percentage of Lutheran students get so low that VU can no longer claim to be a Lutheran institution?  20%? 10%?  We are heading in that direction, I think.

Paul

The percentages will vary from year to year, but the fact is that the total number of college age Lutherans is in constant decline.  I, for one, have encouraged the admissions staff, to target areas where Lutherans reside--like Minnesota!  Yet, there are more kids in this freshman class from Texas than from Minnesota.(no further comment from me on that one!)
There are 40 Lutheran colleges across the country with a total enrollment of about 100,000.  There are few with a higher Lutheran enrollment than Valpo--next time you do a college fair, ask the competition.

Now, as to Valpo's Lutheran identity, that should never change anymore than Notre Dame's or other schools should change theirs.  There is no Lutheran requirement in enrollment.  There isn't even a class in Lutheranism offered.  The Chapel is Lutheran and available to all who seek more knowledge concerning Lutheran beliefs.  Still, if we seek high level students we will never have the luxury of confining our search to just one denomination, even if some believe we should have never accepted anyone who wasn't LCMS.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu72

I would add that the 46 plus 27 plus a high percentage of non-responders equals probably 90 plus percent Christian.  This won't make LCMS folks happy but some Lutheran bodies (ELCA) have full communion with churches like Episcopal and United Methodists among others.  This makes Valpo a place they may seek although the reality is very few kids start out seeking a "Lutheran", "Catholic" or "Methodist" school.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FWalum

Paul
A very sad fact in IMHO, accelerated by the university's embrace of a much more liberal lutheran stance. 
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

milanmiracle

Quote from: FWalum on October 30, 2012, 11:03:23 AM

Paul
A very sad fact in IMHO, accelerated by the university's embrace of a much more liberal lutheran stance. 

That is the direction the university is headed...told to me by my wife who worked for Valpo. They'll still be a Lutheran school, but it won't be a feature of the school.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

vu72

Quote from: milanmiracle on October 30, 2012, 11:52:58 AM

Paul

That is the direction the university is headed...told to me by my wife who worked for Valpo. They'll still be a Lutheran school, but it won't be a feature of the school.

If that occurs it will be a major change, as the Lutheran nature of the University is prominently displayed at present.  Other "Lutheran" schools, like Gettysburg or Wagner, require indepth research to find any acknowledgemnt of the faith connection.

78crusader

What I have never, ever understood is what I perceive as VU's reluctance to emphasize its Christian heritage as a way to attract more students.  Forget about our Lutheran heritage -- I get the fact that there are fewer Lutheran kids now than there were 30 years ago -- but why not emphasize the Christian heritage?  Are we a Christian school, or not?  There are Christian schools out there that are thriving.  Wheaton and Belmont come to mind.  Instead, VU chooses to focus on other ways of growing enrollment, like recruiting international students.  By doing this we become less of a Christian institution.  We will wind up too secular for the Christian kids and not secular enough for those who are not Christians.  I've said this before on this board -- if you try to please everyone, you wind up pleasing no one. 

Paul

valpotx

To be honest, I had no clue what a Lutheran was until I went to Valpo  :).  SMU has similar problems I believe, in that they truly don't attract mainly Methodist students.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: 78crusader on October 30, 2012, 01:40:20 PM
What I have never, ever understood is what I perceive as VU's reluctance to emphasize its Christian heritage as a way to attract more students.  Forget about our Lutheran heritage -- I get the fact that there are fewer Lutheran kids now than there were 30 years ago -- but why not emphasize the Christian heritage?  Are we a Christian school, or not?  There are Christian schools out there that are thriving.  Wheaton and Belmont come to mind.  Instead, VU chooses to focus on other ways of growing enrollment, like recruiting international students.  By doing this we become less of a Christian institution.  We will wind up too secular for the Christian kids and not secular enough for those who are not Christians.  I've said this before on this board -- if you try to please everyone, you wind up pleasing no one. 

Paul

The answer, as Alan Harre has said, (hardly a liberal guy) is that the word "Christian" has been hijacked by the Liberty Universites of the world.  Then we are in a position of not being "Christian enough" or being "too Christian" which scares off those who may percieve it as being a requirement to go preach on a corner or some such thing.  Trying to water down your position (going from Lutheran to Christian) won't work.

LaPorteAveApostle

QuoteAre we a Christian school, or not?

My mother also had high school students, and she would encourage the more gifted to join her at VU.  One girl looked at her and said, "oh, no, I'm going to a Christian school!"

Emphasizing you're a "Christian" school to those who don't think anything other than like Cedarville College in Ohio, or Grace in Winona Lake, IN, is pretty much a non-starter.  People looking for "Christian schools" are usually the kind of people likely to think Lutherans not Christian.

HOWEVA, Bryce has, like his father, built quite a niche as a "Christian program", if not a Lutheran one.

As for "Lutheran Identity", it is similar to what Catholic schools are, and have been, undergoing.  Or other mainlines, to be honest.  My alma mater, Ohio Wesleyan, is as Methodist as PNC, whereas Indiana Wesleyan is more like Calvin College.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

milanmiracle

Quote from: vu72 on October 30, 2012, 12:03:59 PM
Quote from: milanmiracle on October 30, 2012, 11:52:58 AM

Paul

If that occurs it will be a major change, as the Lutheran nature of the University is prominently displayed at present.  Other "Lutheran" schools, like Gettysburg or Wagner, require indepth research to find any acknowledgemnt of the faith connection.

To be VERY clear, my last statement might have been a bit misleading. This isn't a university policy, but more in line with how the university intends to grow given their stated enrollment goals.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

crusaderjoe

Paul

I'm sure you didn't mean anything by it, and even if you did I still got a huge chuckle out of its reading, but I found that little subtle comment hysterical...as if the Catholics are spreading like the plague at VU which is a major cause for alarm. 21% too?  Lock the doors boys, don't let any more of them in!

Better watch out for da Cat-o-lics VU...more Cat-o-lic students means more Cat-o-lic alumni.  Here we come baby, here we come!

LULZ.