• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Football: Valpo vs. St. Joe

Started by setshot, August 26, 2012, 07:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

historyman knows his history.
unsurprisingly.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

VULB#62

willy

I predict a win tonight for the Crusaders.  They played there best ball late last year when everyone was back and healthy.  I think the experience the young kids got last year will pay dividends this year.  We need the students to be the 12th man.  Valpo 27 St. Joe's 23.

VULB#62

Those four releases in the local papers give you a better idea of who will be out there tonight on the field.  Hoffman, Ali-El, Kuramata, Derbak and Gokan are among some familiar names, but new names are now popping up, which is helpful in following the team.  Be great if they would release a two-deep chart, but that's probably not going to happen.

With all the games in the past and even for many in this team's future, as a fan, you go into games just hoping that the team plays OK enough not to be blown out and devastated. However, I'm genuinely excited about this game, because (1) it's winnable and (2) because I think this team is the most talented in years.  GO VALPO!

IndyValpo

IndyValpo

Where is Sean Cook a 2 year starter at OT, not listed on the 2 deep. Injured?

VULB#62

vu72

iS THE RECEPTION ANY GOOD FOR YOU GUYS?  MAYBE ITS MY INTERNET CONNECTION BUT IT IS VERY STOP AND GO.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

govalpogo

Mine's pretty much par for the HL streaming course.  Looks like a legitimate FB game right now. Hope the D can hang tough.

KL31NY

How's everyone's coverage handling? Can't access the audio webcast (server crash?). Video still solid with the audio, though there is some ticking in the background.

Also, how do we like Travis Lucian on color? Good voice. Impressed that he went from broadcast duties with St. Cloud in the collegiate Northwoods League in 2011 to the South Bend Silver Hawks #1 job and now doing some DI commentary with Todd.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

govalpogo

That was a very entertaining football game.  Unfortunately an extremely tough loss to start the season.

covufan

Tough loss.  The defense needed to step up in the fourth, and almost did.  At first I was watching the game on my iPhone, and was impressed.  Then it became a little jumpy.  Overall the feed was good.  Ickow is a joy to listen to.  The Big Ten Network needs to pick him up!

historyman

Just back from the game. Valpo really should have won this one. They showed that the offense could perform excellently when it needed to in the first half and the defense showed it could make plays. The young offensive line did a great job of protecting their QB. But when the game was on the line in the last few minutes of the 4th quarter neither the offense or defense could make the plays and the victory fell right through their hands. Letting St.Joe go 93 yards in 2 and a half minutes was inexcusable.

I feel this was the game to win to set a positive tone for the first portion of the season and Valpo failed. Now all they can do is try and pull some positives from the next 3 games which they will almost for sure lose. This one against St.Joe was the one they really needed to win and they let it slip away by not making plays in the 4th quarter (except for holding St.Joe to a field goal on the Pumas' second to last drive). It was nice to be in the game but that means you must win it too, not come really close but lose anyway. The game still counts as a loss no matter if you lose by 43 or by 2 points. 

It was a really great effort. Now they must learn to finish a game which is something they haven't had the chance to do very often.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

historyman

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/football/college/st-joseph-s-rallies-to-beat-valparaiso-football-team/article_bcdeb4c8-e56f-5592-ae12-1e2de4ef000f.html

St. Joseph's rallies to beat Valparaiso football team

by Paul Jankowski

VALPARAISO | Modern technology hasn't intimidated Valparaiso coach Dale Carlson, who Tweets and spits out 60-second YouTube sound bites with the best of 'em.

He's talked all season about the improvement of his young team, trying to generate buzz for a program with a 2-31 record the past three seasons. A 29-game losing streak was finally snapped in the 10th game of the 2011 season, when the Crusaders upset Campbell.

The Crusaders opened a new season full of hope Thursday night before a crowd of 3,848 at Brown Field against St. Joseph's, but they suffered a crushing 36-34 loss in the final minute.

Led by junior quarterback Billy VandeMerkt, the Pumas marched 93 yards on 12 plays in the final three minutes, getting a 6-yard touchdown run from Cameron Crabtree with 24 seconds remaining to claim the victory.

"I'm not going to lie. I had complete trust and faith in our offense," St. Joseph's coach Cory Sanders said. "With Billy, I have one word to describe him. Warrior. I can look in his eyes and see the fight."

On the night, VandeMerkt was 21-of-38 passing for 303 yards with two touchdowns. He completed 8-of-9 passes on the final drive, including 24-yarder to Julian Walker who had monster game with 11 catches for 205 yards and two TDs.

St. Joe (1-0) got within 34-30 when freshman Gavin Voss, a Wheeler High grad, booted a 39-yard field goal with 7:14 remaining.

"He came up big under pressure," Sanders said. "That gave us a chance to win the game."

Carlson said the key was Valpo's offense not coming through on its final possession.

After the Voss field goal, the Crusaders (0-1) picked up a pair of first downs and had a second-and-3 at the St. Joe 29-yard line with about four minutes remaining. Running back Sterling Summerville lost nine yards on the play, and the Crusaders eventually had to punt.

"The big key was when we weren't able to run the clock out," Carlson said. "We had the ball in pretty decent field position ... and the offense has to run it out. But we let them go the length of the field, and that's inexcusable, too."

A back-and-forth first half ended in a 20-20 tie, with both teams missing one extra point.

Gabe Ali-El (15-84 rushing) scored the first of his two TDs for the Crusaders late in the first quarter for a 7-7 tie, a drive that was set up by a Dylan Storm interception.

VU's Jake Hutson later scored on a 2-yard run, and Ryan Lehr added a 1-yarder with 25 seconds left in the half.

Starting the third quarter, Valpo cornerback Devan Gadson stripped St. Joe's Crabtree and returned the ball 36 yards for a TD and a 26-20 Valpo lead.

Valpo kept things interesting behind the no-huddle offense directed by 6-foot-3 sophomore quarterback Eric Hoffman, who completed 23-of-44 passes for 221 yards.

But it was a tough finish for the Crusaders, who have to play at Youngstown State a week from Saturday.

"We left the defense out there for too many extended plays," Carlson said. "I think they're kind of shocked right now. I told them at the end of the game, you have to finish. It's not good enough just to be competitive.

"When you get in clutch situations you have to stop up and make plays."

It was the first-ever Thursday football game at Brown Field, and the third night game of all time.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vuweathernerd

glad to see it was close, and that we actually controlled the game for a stretch. definitely a tough loss, from the sound of things. and almost 3900 listed in attendance? quite a crowd for a school that's recent football past was worse than pathetic.

willy

I agree with history man that the team put forth a great effort.  This will be a learning experience for both the team and coaching staff.  In the recent past we have not had many chances to close a team out like we had last night. I think they learn from this and will not make the same mistakes twice. I would love to see Ali-El get more carries as he averaged 5.6 yds. per carry!  I was impressed with the offensive line which started two freshmen and two sophomores.  The QB had ample time to throw the ball all night.  On valpo's second to last drive is where the game has to be won.  We were on the pumas 29 yd. line with a second and three with about four minutes left.  We ran a sweep and lost nine yds.  At second and three you have two plays, three if you go for it on fourth down to pound it at them to get three yards, not run wide. In that situation I think you need to believe in your offensive line and put it in there hands to win the game for you.  The other disappointment was not throwing the ball into the endzone on our last play.  Maybe there is a hail mary for a touchdown or at worst we get lucky and get a pass interference which would set up a game winning field goal try. All in all, I am proud of the way the kids and coaches battled all night!!!!  I think the future of Valpo football is the brightest its been in a long time.

covufan

I liked the effort.  I like our 3rd down efficiency, both Off and Def.  The turnovers and time of possession were also key to being in the game.  I'm not convinced we can do it all every week in the PFL, but we are battling.  Ali-El needs to touch the ball a few more times a game, and keep the defense off the field.  The O-line did well.  This team needs to learn how to finish, and they will learn!  A little improvement each week and this team will be competitive in the PFL.

sectionee

Kudos on a great game. Good to see improvement, the next step is to learn to win those types of games.

VULB#62

I've been in a coma since that last St. Joe's drive and that flipping run for the TD.  Finally broke out of it about a minute ago.  I loved the VU intensity on both sides of the ball.  Especially liked the attacking D.  But with that comes a few broken play runs -- those bit us a couple of times.    But I was upset at Ali-El's PF -- need more composure.  Missed two PATs?  -- thought that was going to resolved with the new kids.  Balls were struck well.SJC's Walker is some kind of receiver and their QB consistently found him.  All-in-all, deeply disappointed in not getting the win, but have cause for optimism.

Campbell also lost to a D-II team and Butler was in a scoreless hole against WIU into the third quarter until they scored against what I am assuming were backups. Games to monitor are SDU v. Cal Poly of the Big Sky and JU vs. Georgia Southern on Saturday.  Those will be good measures of the PFL vs scholarship FCS.

milanmiracle

Losing...while never the desired outcome, can be a stepping stone in learing how to win. I believe that this will be the biggest obstacle Valpo will face this year and in the next few years. They've practiced losing for two years, and you don't learn how to win overnight. That was one of my problems with playing the "system" even when it gave VU no chance to win. Because of that, I believe you get what happened here. Game is on the line, and they have no idea what to do or how to do it when it comes down to winning. That said, it's nice to see a score go across ESPN that isn't something out of a horror novel. Next week against YSU doesn't count, but let's see if they can build on this against teams they have some business playing.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado