• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recogntion for Rowdy

Started by crusaderguy08, September 05, 2012, 01:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

zounds!  how many more games does he have?

this might date me but the last breakout performer at the Portsmouth Invite I can remember was Dan Majerle.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

Quote from: wh on April 12, 2013, 08:52:02 PM
Not a good night for Ryan:

https://www.portsmouthinvitational.com/uploads/2013GM7.pdf

It would seem the occasional off night shooting for Ryan is not unexpected, is it?

classof2014

Unless Rowdy has a monstrous game... chances are he won't be drafted into the nba and even if, chances are the scouts have seen enough.

When Broekhoff is off he is OFF! The woes of a guy who primarily is a shooter. I think he needs to sure up his ball handling and finishing abilities if he wants to make it at the next level. Because no matter how good a shooter is, there are gonna be nights when the 3 isn't dropping and when the three wasn't dropping for Rowdy his game has suffered. So he needs to add another dimension to his game, get a little more crafty with the basketball and a better ball handler since he does have the occasional turnover.

No doubt Broekhoff will be playing professional basketball somewhere. Probably not the nba... yet. He definitely has the potential and every year, while he was at Valpo, he has added something to his game. Chances are that will continue as he gets older and matures as a professional. If he can add a few more dimensions to his game, he can be great. Right now I don't believe he is nba ready but in a few years who knows.

I think the sky is the limit for Broekhoff, he just needs a few more seasons to develop a few more skills. He's shown the ability to master and develop new skills year in and year out. It leads me to believe that this pattern will continue.

Best of luck Rowdy! I'll be rooting for ya! :)

agibson

zvillehaze

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 12, 2013, 08:59:48 PM
this might date me but the last breakout performer at the Portsmouth Invite I can remember was Dan Majerle.

I'm with you ... amazing how slowly news travelled in the pre-internet days!  I had never heard of Majerle before I walked into the ABAUSA Invitational Tournament in April, 1988 (couldn't find any info from that year, but here's a blurb about the 1989 tourney.  http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1989/NY-Filed/id-a2a6c0ed7b92cc185a027989c4cc3b17 ).  A friend yelled at me to come over and watch Majerle play ... he was unbelievable, especially since no one had heard of him.  In just a few months, he went from unknown MAC player, to Portsmouth MVP, to first round draft pick and leading scorer on the '88 Olympic Team.  Wow.

LaPorteAveApostle

Thank you!  My thoughts exactly.  And then a 3-time All-Star to boot!  #25 all-time 3 pointers made reg season; #13 in playoffs.  Rated #208 NBA all-time by ELO (!)

I guess bbtds would say the major conferences Majerle missed out on him. :)

QuoteDuring the draft, he was promptly booed when his name was announced over the public address system. Suns coach Cotton Fitzsimmons publicly chastised the Suns fans and told them "you'll be sorry you ever booed this young man".
I was going to say "nowadays that can't happen again" but Jeremy Lin.

Interestingly looked him (Majerle) up and he just started coaching DII Grand Canyon!
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/colleges/articles/20130318grand-canyon-university-names-dan-majerle-basketball-coach.html
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 13, 2013, 03:23:15 PMI guess bbtds would say the major conferences Majerle missed out on him.

Normally I would be saying "galvenās konferences Majerle palaida garām viņu." but I would be further digressing the situation and will hold back.

LaPorteAveApostle

Thanks to you and WH I now know a Lat more about the Riga-rous language spoken in Raitisland. 

I could write a couple grafs about the style of play there but their method of baltics me off.

atkins

A great guy and humble as can be for such a talent.  I suspect he'll have a long career as a pro in Europe and be an outstanding representative of Valpo.  Based on his skill set and performance, I just don't see him making it into the NBA anytime soon, but he should be at least an above-average European player.  I do hope that Ryan will be able to develop a more-consistent shooting touch and diverse game, which will allow him to inch is way into the NBA in a few years.  He certainly deserves it. 

mp91

I completely agree with atkins, I'm not sure if he quite has NBA potential right now but he certainly has the work ethic and shooting skills to one day develop into an NBA player. I hope he does & wish him nothing but the best. He's a great guy and he deserves every bit of success he receives.

covufan

Quote from: atkins on April 27, 2013, 01:11:24 PM
A great guy and humble as can be for such a talent.  I suspect he'll have a long career as a pro in Europe and be an outstanding representative of Valpo.  Based on his skill set and performance, I just don't see him making it into the NBA anytime soon, but he should be at least an above-average European player.  I do hope that Ryan will be able to develop a more-consistent shooting touch and diverse game, which will allow him to inch is way into the NBA in a few years.  He certainly deserves it. 
Europe and Australia, depending on where his heart and the $$$ take him.  The NBA can always use a skilled player with a knack for getting rebounds - I hope that he gets an opportunity.

wh

vu72

Quote from: wh on June 08, 2013, 06:58:54 PM
2013 NBA Pre-Draft Workout & Interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pqf1w3Qf5eQ

That was terrific!  I don't think he missed a shot!  ;) Let's hope he gets some workouts
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpopal on June 10, 2013, 11:06:38 PMArticle here
I appreciate the article, not least of which because it correctly uses "honing" rather than "homing".

Now if we could just start spelling our topic titles correctly...

agibson

Oppenheimer told us that in the one on one drills, he was the player most likely to dunk on someone.

?!

Interesting to hear that he attended
http://www.adidaseurocamp.com/

They bill it as a pre-NBA draft camp for European players?  But presumably it gives him additional exposure _in_ Europe as well.

Have we heard anything more about other workouts or camps, apart from this and the Portsmouth?

valpopal

Rowdy worked out for the Chicago Bulls this week.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpopal on June 22, 2013, 08:39:31 AMRowdy worked out for the Chicago Bulls this week.
That would be only the second time I would ever root for the Bullz.

agibson

I thought I heard he was in Australia last week?

vu72

Quote from: agibson on June 23, 2013, 06:28:33 PM

He was, short trip.  At this stage he is burning the candle at both ends trying to gets his skill noticed.  Let's all hope he is drafted or, at a minimum, gets a spot in the D League.  Go Rowdy!!  :dance: :dance:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FWalum

Quote from: vu72 on June 23, 2013, 06:42:44 PM
Quote from: agibson on June 23, 2013, 06:28:33 PM

He was, short trip.  At this stage he is burning the candle at both ends trying to gets his skill noticed.  Let's all hope he is drafted or, at a minimum, gets a spot in the D League.  Go Rowdy!!  :dance: :dance:

Would love to see him playing with the Mad Ants and Ron Howard.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpopal

Rowdy selected to play for Australia at World University Games in Russia:

http://www.basketball.net.au/index.php?id=302&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=2960&tx_ttnews[backPid]=1&cHash=b2cfeafb73

[Tried fixing the link, but the forum apparently won't load full URL. Therefore, you will need to cut and paste the whole thing to get the article.]

[valpo04 edit: Fixed!]

valpopal

With Rowdy leading the way, the Australian national team has won its first two games in the 2013 Stankovic Continental Cup in China against tough competition: Argentina (62-59)and China (64-59). They have three games remaining against Puerto Rico, Germany, and Nigeria before moving to the World University Games in Russia beginning July 6. Broekhoff's stock is rising for a possible position on a top European team.

valpopal

Quote from: valpopal on June 29, 2013, 11:55:09 AM
With Rowdy leading the way, the Australian national team has won its first two games in the 2013 Stankovic Continental Cup in China against tough competition: Argentina (62-59)and China (64-59). They have three games remaining against Puerto Rico, Germany, and Nigeria before moving to the World University Games in Russia beginning July 6. Broekhoff's stock is rising for a possible position on a top European team.

The Australian team won two more games this weekend, beating Puerto Rico (72-68) on Saturday and Germany (79-64) on Sunday. They have Monday off and finish with one final game against Nigeria on Tuesday, hoping for an undefeated tournament record before moving to Russia for the World University games that begin next weekend. In those games the Australians have drawn a very difficult early schedule, including a game against the U.S. team, which is in their bracket, on July 11.

Some typical notes about Rowdy's good play this week from the reports:

"When Broekhoff opened his account from long range late in the term the Boomers were cruising with a 19-7 quarter-time advantage..."

"Broekhoff nailed the opening two buckets of the third quarter..."

"When the intensity lifted late in the term Ryan Broekhoff capitalised with five straight fast-break points..."

"Ryan Broekhoff opened the second term with a long bomb and an athletic three-point play in transition..."