• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Tomorrow

Started by vu72, October 11, 2012, 10:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

As I understand it, basketball practice starts tomorrow with a season ticket holder event following shortly thereafter.  The emphasis on this board will change dramatically.

Is that A GOOD THING?  Probably, given the state of our football program, while most bcs schools don't particularly look forward to the end of football season, even if you have a successful basketball program like, say, Ohio State.

Nonetheless, in our case, rightly or wrongly, football has been something that fills a hole between the start of school and basketball season. When 62 or I were in school that gap was different but today, given the escalation of Valpo basketball to a national stage, there is a BIG difference interest wise, until and unless Valpo football gains league leading stature and perhaps more than that.

It is a BIG hole for Coach Carlson and his players, and, I was a football player.

There is no question that if the goal of Valpo athletics is to gain national exposure for the University, that basketball does that unlike any other sport.  Still, for the overall good of the community and the student body, I hope the football team and other programs continues to advance.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Quote from: vu72 on October 11, 2012, 10:05:10 PM
As I understand it, basketball practice starts tomorrow with a season ticket holder event following shortly thereafter.  The emphasis on this board will change dramatically.

Is that A GOOD THING?  Probably, given the state of our football program, while most bcs schools don't particularly look forward to the end of football season, even if you have a successful basketball program like, say, Ohio State.

Nonetheless, in our case, rightly or wrongly, football has been something that fills a hole between the start of school and basketball season. When 62 or I were in school that gap was different but today, given the escalation of Valpo basketball to a national stage, there is a BIG difference interest wise, until and unless Valpo football gains league leading stature and perhaps more than that.

It is a BIG hole for Coach Carlson and his players, and, I was a football player.

There is no question that if the goal of Valpo athletics is to gain national exposure for the University, that basketball does that unlike any other sport.  Still, for the overall good of the community and the student body, I hope the football team and other programs continues to advance.

:clap:   :clap:   :clap:

milanmiracle

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 12, 2012, 10:29:36 AM
Quote from: vu72 on October 11, 2012, 10:05:10 PM

:clap:   :clap:   :clap:

x2
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado