• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs Dayton

Started by historyman, October 16, 2012, 10:03:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

I'm going to be more positive this time.

Valpo will lose this game despite making major improvements in it's game.

Valpo     24
Dayton   34

Valpo will take a 1 point lead in the 2nd half but will have trouble finishing again.

Overall it will set up Valpo to have wins against Marist, Campbell, Davidson and Morehead. Which will be the turning point for Valpo football for winning in the future. 
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

Agree .....to a point.  I see Marist as a close loss (21-24???) that sets us up for three potential wins.

NO MORE BLOW-OUTS!

crusadermoe

Sounds good..    Put me on the bandwagon for 3 wins to close out the year.    All 3 plus Marist seem winnable.

valpotx

We have never really played well against Dayton:

Dayton 35
Valpo 14
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

Don't see a win against Dayton, but hopefully improvement:

Dayton 35
Valpo   20

usc4valpo

Ummm, no.  I think 1 win

Dayton 42
Valpo 14

milanmiracle

They'll hang around this weekend, and hopefully be competetive for at least a half, but there's no win here. I know people want to get excited after last week, but let's remember they've won 1 game in 2 1/2 years. 3 wins this season? Highly unlikely.

That said, maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel?

Dayton 42
Valpo 17
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

willy

Dayton has not been very good on offense this year and I see this game being fairly close.  If we can take an early lead and force Dayton to throw I smell a possible upset.  I pray the coaches use the same game plan as last week (run the rock!).  It worked last week against the best team in the conference and should be the game plan the rest of the season.  There is nothing more discouraging to an opponent than not being able to stop the run!  If they don't stop the run they can't get their hands on the ball and can't score. 

Dayton 28
Valpo 21

LukePurcy

Valpo   21
Dayton 31

I think Valpo will run the ball like they did against Drake in this one but we still have to cut down on stupid penalties and turnovers, which I think will ultimately hurt VU in this game. They keep it close however and show progress to perhaps winning 3 or 4 games this year but they have to keep it close. You can't compete and keep it close against Drake and get blown out by Dayton. If that happens, expect maybe a win against Campbell or Davidson.

bmlvu97

Still only have them at 1 win this year...no confidence in the program yet...

Dayton 38
Valpo 14
Brian M. Lenz
Valpo Class of 1997

VULB#62

FYI:    The Dayton game will have video streamed from the Dayton Football web site.  I watched some of the Morehead game last week.  It's free.

covufan

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 18, 2012, 11:30:18 AM
FYI:    The Dayton game will have video streamed from the Dayton Football web site.  I watched some of the Morehead game last week.  It's free.
Good to know.  Thanks!

valporun

Anyone else having problems getting the video for the game at Dayton to work? I can at least listen to the game on the WAKE FM app. For those who remember, I didn't have a smartphone for the apps, but I broke down over the summer and purchased an iPod Touch, which has been awesome. Need to get something going in Dayton, stupid penalties being our downfall already.

I guess I just needed to wait a few more minutes, as the video is now up. Let's Go Crusaders!!

usc4valpo

It is working for me - the Crusader look brutal.  too many penalties. I feel soory for Iklow doing the broadcast.  He sounds like he is ready for the bus to be warmup.

Another 3 and out.

valpotx

I just can't watch these guys play, they are so bad.  It doesn't help that our playcall does not set us up for success.  You want to get a few yards on first down to open up your second and third down plays, but we never gain on first!!!

I might have to join some of the calls...next coach
"Don't mess with Texas"

milanmiracle

Dayton 31 Valpo 0 - half

Total offense 341-65

So much for progress...
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

willy

Quote from: valpotx on October 20, 2012, 12:54:18 PM
I just can't watch these guys play, they are so bad.  It doesn't help that our playcall does not set us up for success.  You want to get a few yards on first down to open up your second and third down plays, but we never gain on first!!!

I might have to join some of the calls...next coach

We have more penalty yards (67) than offense (65) in the first half.  Its hard for me to watch such undisciplined football!!!  Its one thing to get beat by a better team, but to play undisciplined football is unacceptable and embarrassing!

valporun

Yeah, this "progression" has definitely flat-lined. I feel it is unfair to these players to keep running the same stuff that doesn't work, or play the same undisciplined players just because they are "the best at grasping the system". If they really are the best players at grasping the system, then why do we keep seeing regression and lack of discipline on the snap counts, or in blocking to open up spaces for our running game to get some yards?

milanmiracle

Can't wait to read the next infomercial blog from Coach Carlson on this latest debacle. I am sure to hear " they must maintain focus", or something to that extent.

milanmiracle

Quote from: milanmiracle on October 16, 2012, 11:22:58 PM
They'll hang around this weekend, and hopefully be competetive for at least a half, but there's no win here. I know people want to get excited after last week, but let's remember they've won 1 game in 2 1/2 years. 3 wins this season? Highly unlikely.

That said, maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel?

Dayton 42
Valpo 17

I shall not be fooled again. Fool me once...

The light at the end of the tunnel is...a train.

valporun

Yeah, Coach Carlson is definitely making a lot of excuses for why these guys lack the discipline and focus to improve more than just "baby steps". I kinda wonder if Coach Carlson thought he was coaching the softball team, because they sure don't look like football players. Hell, at this point, take the pads off these guys and put them out on a cross country course. Make them run... They certainly don't want to improve against teams they should be improving against.

valpotx

Let's not compare our football team to our softball team, which is a program that wins  :).

On a positive note, where our Punter graduates, we should easily recruit another one with how much opportunity he will get...
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Wow, pathetic.  Basically back-to-back 80 yard TD runs. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

Time to take the pads away, and give them the intramural pennies and flags. If they aren't going to hit anyone, they might well trying grabbing for flags.

valpotx

It's just sad watching these last few drives, as they are running the SAME play over and over to different sides with their 5th string RB, but still averaging close to 10 yds/carry.
"Don't mess with Texas"