• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs Dayton

Started by historyman, October 16, 2012, 10:03:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

Quote from: milanmiracle on October 16, 2012, 11:22:58 PMThey'll hang around this weekend, and hopefully be competetive for at least a half, but there's no win here. I know people want to get excited after last week, but let's remember they've won 1 game in 2 1/2 years. 3 wins this season? Highly unlikely. That said, maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel? Dayton 42 Valpo 17

It looks like I will win the prize for closest score.  I over estimated them.  I think it is time for a change, I don't care what happens in the rest of the season. This is brutal.

VULB#62

4:44 left in Q4.

Net rushing yards: 
VU - 74
UD - 471

Total Yards:
VU - 152
UD - 629

Nuff said  :(

usc4valpo

no red zone today.  How good is Dayton?

At the the QB in now (Schaeffer) is named after a classic cheap beer...

KL31NY

45-0 final. Over 600 yards allowed, nearly 500 on the ground alone, and their top rushers had 10+ yards per carry... wow

On another note, I enjoy StatBroadcast live stats for football. I've seen a lot of other schools start using it for their other sports and I find it very efficient and effective.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

Carlson is on his third defensive coordinator, fourth special teams coordinator and second WR coach in just three seasons.  Time to question his leadership ability.  Does not appear to have what it takes to be a head coach in the PFL.  We need someone who can adapt and rally the team. He is not the answer.

valporun

Some of the coaching changes in the assistants is probably due to lack of real money to pay them what they are worth as "part-time" coaches. I mean when the assistants barely make enough to make it worth leaving a full-time job during the day, why would they want to stay at VU?

usc4valpo

Quote from: valporun on October 20, 2012, 02:52:27 PMSome of the coaching changes in the assistants is probably due to lack of real money to pay them what they are worth as "part-time" coaches. I mean when the assistants barely make enough to make it worth leaving a full-time job during the day, why would they want to stay at VU?
So again, is Valpo committed to Div. 1 non-scholarship football? 

Five fulltime coaches left the program. They were not underpaid part time or volunteer coaches.  From my understanding Carlson's coaching budget was significantly more than past head coaches at Valpo.  Hard to build a program with a revolving door of coaches. 

usc4valpo

Quote from: 90 on October 20, 2012, 03:00:59 PMFive fulltime coaches left the program. They were not underpaid part time or volunteer coaches. From my understanding Carlson's coaching budget was significantly more than past head coaches at Valpo. Hard to build a program with a revolving door of coaches.
What was the cause of these coaches leaving?  Insufficiently pay? Conflict?

VULB#62

Quote from: 90 on October 20, 2012, 03:00:59 PM
Five fulltime coaches left the program. They were not underpaid part time or volunteer coaches.  From my understanding Carlson's coaching budget was significantly more than past head coaches at Valpo.  Hard to build a program with a revolving door of coaches.

Stacy Adams, now at East Chicago Central, is now 9-1.  He took over a HS program that was in shambles three years ago.  He has a junior loaded team and has progressed each season I believe.  Adams' record at VU was pretty poor, but they won some games and they were competitive in many right until he left.  Maybe he did the best with the talent he had on game day.  I remember seeing Bobby Wisocki make a difference at a game at Marist in 2009 in a losing effort (but not an embarrassing blowout).  He gradually disappeared as a junior and was hardly ever on the field as a senior.  But, who knows?  Yet, one wonders in hindsight if Adams could have straightened out the program if, in 2009, he was provided the resources that were provided Coach Carlson in terms of added funding, recruiting budget, uniforms, etc. that we've seen over the past 2 1/2 years?  It all comes down to game day preparation and execution.  Very little differentiates this team from the previous two in that all-important area.

milanmiracle

Quote from: 90 on October 20, 2012, 03:00:59 PM
Five fulltime coaches left the program. They were not underpaid part time or volunteer coaches.  From my understanding Carlson's coaching budget was significantly more than past head coaches at Valpo. Hard to build a program with a revolving door of coaches. 

But is that enough to keep them around? It may be more than before, but is it now just inadequate vs. woefully inadequate? I don't know?
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

LukePurcy

Well all I have to say is thank God basketball season is right around the corner  :thumbsup:

milanmiracle

Quote from: LukePurcy on October 20, 2012, 05:00:18 PM
Well all I have to say is thank God basketball season is right around the corner  :thumbsup:

Some would say football never started.

From the ESPN recap..."Dayton rolled up 473 yards on the ground, compared to just 76 for the Crusaders (0-7, 0-4). Dayton finished with 631 total yards, the most since it became a non-scholarship program in 1977, with Valparaiso amassing only 164."

473 allowed on the ground!?! Seriously?
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

valporun

Yeah, they had about 5 running backs attack us, and two of them had TD runs of about 80 yards each, and they just kept running the ball on us.

footballfan1221

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 20, 2012, 03:28:50 PM

Stacy Adams, now at East Chicago Central, is now 9-1.  He took over a HS program that was in shambles three years ago.  He has a junior loaded team and has progressed each season I believe.  Adams' record at VU was pretty poor, but they won some games and they were competitive in many right until he left.  Maybe he did the best with the talent he had on game day.  I remember seeing Bobby Wisocki make a difference at a game at Marist in 2009 in a losing effort (but not an embarrassing blowout).  He gradually disappeared as a junior and was hardly ever on the field as a senior.  But, who knows?  Yet, one wonders in hindsight if Adams could have straightened out the program if, in 2009, he was provided the resources that were provided Coach Carlson in terms of added funding, recruiting budget, uniforms, etc. that we've seen over the past 2 1/2 years?  It all comes down to game day preparation and execution.  Very little differentiates this team from the previous two in that all-important area.

There was a great article about Coach Adams and his HS team in the Post-Tribune on Friday.  Copy and paste this into your browser adding an "http://" at the beginning after you paste. Since I can't post external links yet because I'm new to the forum, you have to do it this way.

posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/highschools/15834174-419/timeout-football-east-chicago-coach-stacy-adams-enjoying-a-season-to-savor.html

The football discussion gets pretty heated at times which I can see when I'm reading.  Coach Carlson has definitely seen how Division I non-scholarship football can be a challenge.  After 3 seasons, I agree with those who have said some improvements should be seen by now.  The extremely bad showing at Dayton is a disgrace.  All the other football programs in the PFL have the same challenges so at this point there should be no excuses.

The lack of discipline and level of confusion on the field appears to be a direct reflection of coaching.  This team has had the benefit of Carlson's self-touted superior recruiting and cannot even compete.  I believe there are good athletes on the team, but there are fundamental coaching deficiencies. It appears that this team is no better and maybe even worse than those of the Stacy Adams era.  It's time for MLB to demand some answers.  He should expect more from this coaching staff for the sake of the players. Tired of watching these kids get hung out to dry week after week. 

VULB#62

Quote from: footballfan1221 on October 20, 2012, 07:47:07 PM
There was a great article about Coach Adams and his HS team in the Post-Tribune on Friday.  Copy and paste this into your browser adding an "http://" at the beginning after you paste. Since I can't post external links yet because I'm new to the forum, you have to do it this way.

posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/highschools/15834174-419/timeout-football-east-chicago-coach-stacy-adams-enjoying-a-season-to-savor.html

The football discussion gets pretty heated at times which I can see when I'm reading.  Coach Carlson has definitely seen how Division I non-scholarship football can be a challenge.  After 3 seasons, I agree with those who have said some improvements should be seen by now.  The extremely bad showing at Dayton is a disgrace.  All the other football programs in the PFL have the same challenges so at this point there should be no excuses.

Here is the link 1221.  Thanks. I wanted to add that to my previous post, but I couldn't find it again after reading it on Friday -- was in a rush out the door.

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/highschools/15834174-419/timeout-football-east-chicago-coach-stacy-adams-enjoying-a-season-to-savor.html

It talks about Adams' enthusiasm and getting the most out of a limited number of kids compared to other programs in ECC's level of competition.

mj

What we all fail to realize is that Coach Carlson's job isn't to win football games but rather to keep a full roster of football players that pay full tuition to go to Valpo.
I believe that we will win.

milanmiracle

Quote from: mj on October 20, 2012, 10:39:40 PM
What we all fail to realize is that Coach Carlson's job isn't to win football games but rather to keep a full roster of football players that pay full tuition to go to Valpo.

And sadly, you're probably right.

valpotx

I am glad to see Adams doing well in the HS coaching ranks as he is a nice/positive guy...however, he is not a D-1 level head coach at any level either (D-1, D-1AA, D-1AA non-scholarship).
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

By-The-Way and in retrospect, here was the NWITimes pregame scouting report:

Valparaiso will win if: It can continue the spirited effort it displayed last week against Drake. The Crusaders have gotten their hardest Pioneer Football League contests out of the way, and now it's time to start learning from the tough defeats.

Dayton will win if: It continues the offensive explosion from last week. The Flyers rolled up 532 yards of offense in a 41-27 win over Morehead State. Will Bardo moves the Dayton offense through the air (1,127 passing yards) as well as on the ground (290 rushing yards, three touchdowns).

:-X

LukePurcy

To say that Carlson's job isn't to win football games but rather to keep a full roster of football players that pay full tuition to go to Valpo maybe true, but to quote Herm Edwards...

"YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!"

That's a bad attitude to have as an athletic department and university if your main focus isn't to win in football since you are spending lots of money to fund the football program

VULB#62

Quote from: LukePurcy on October 21, 2012, 04:47:39 PM
To say that Carlson's job isn't to win football games but rather to keep a full roster of football players that pay full tuition to go to Valpo maybe true, but to quote Herm Edwards...

That's a bad attitude to have as an athletic department and university if your main focus isn't to win in football since you are spending lots of money to fund the football program

:clap: :clap:

vu72

Quote from: LukePurcy on October 21, 2012, 04:47:39 PM

And you saw this information where?  If winning wasn't important I think the head coaches name would still be Adams.  The change was made for a reason.  Winning is important it just isn't happening now.  If it doesn't happen soon perhaps you will see another coaching change.  I would guess that Coach Carlson has a five year contract.  This is year three.  I don't have any inside info on this, just a guess.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015