• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

VU vs. Marist

Started by VULB#62, October 21, 2012, 03:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

covufan

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 27, 2012, 02:10:59 PM
Score at the half:  Marist 30 Valpo 0

First Half Scoring Summary:

M - 97 yard pass
M - 85 yard run
M - 78 yard pass
M - 96 yard run

Hm.....  qualifies as a balanced attack.

M - 483 yards total offense   |   Valpo 221

:whiteflag:
I was looking at these as well.  I tried to find any stats in FCS for scoring plays greater than 70 yards, especially at the team level.  How many times in a season, on average, does a team have a scoring play from scrimage greater than 70 yards?  We give up four in a half?

Marist was a team we should have been competitive with, at least for the first half.  Marist starts 4 drives within their own 10 yard line, never running more than 4 plays, and scores a TD on each drive.  To top it off, the last drive in the first half, Marist starts at their 4 yard line and tries to run out the clock with a rushing play - and we let him go 96 yards for a TD.  Unbelievable!

The defense is not making improvements from last year.  Plays longer than 20 yards from scrimage are killing us.  Our third down percentage on O and D are a little better than last year, but need to improve.  Our time of possession is better, but is that because we give up big scoring plays to get the ball back?  When we do move the ball on offense, we can't seem to score. 

With the number of Fr and So on the two deep roster, Carlson's previous record, and the fact that VU gave Horne three years (2-27-1), I'm still in favor of giving Carlson more time.  My position may change over the last few games of the season, though.

usc4valpo

I think you are being too kind covufan.  Carlson's record is 1-29.  What reason would anyone remain patient with this?

There should be a high level of soul searching regarding having football at Valpo.  This is brutal.

Another week, same story.  Same Carlson quotes about being inconsistent and giving up the big plays.  Too far into his Valpo career to be saying these things week after week.  These are his recruited players who are obviously not responding to his teaching.  Young or not, they need to be at least competitive.  This game was painful to watch - again. . . .  Please, MLB, do something!  Hold this guy accountable!

crusadermoe

You have to make a change.         The reality is in our D-1 games this year (not St. Joe) we have been outscored  335 to 76.     

It's not getting better.    We will be playing the bottom 3 teams now to wrap up the year so we could win one again.   But those are road games. 

The die has been cast.     

VULB#62

Quote from: crusadermoe on October 27, 2012, 07:42:45 PM
It's not getting better.    We will be playing the bottom 3 teams now to wrap up the year so we could win one again.   But those are road games. 

Bottom Three?

Morehead beat Campbell 70-28
The Morehead State football team closed out Saturday afternoon's game with 35 unanswered en route to a 70-28 clobbering of Campbell before a crowd of 7,300 at Jayne Stadium.

Score by Quarters    1    2    3    4    Score
Campbell                 7    14    7    0      28
Morehead State      14    21  21  14      70

But Campbell was only down by 14 at the half.

Davidson stayed with Butler losing in a competitive game 20-31.  At one point it was only 24-17 Butler.  Davidson kicked 2 FGs.

Scoring            1       2       3       4      Final
Butler (7-2)        3      21     0     7       31
Davidson (1-7)    7        3      7     3      20

We remain after three years the least competitive football program in the PFL.   In my Bill Snyder K-State post, he states that one of his goals is to get just a bit better than the day before.  I cannot say that for Valpo this year and despite a win last year, there was very little improvement game to game after the first season where expectations were rightfully low.  It has got to be the coaching, because the consensus is that the recruited talent HAS gotten better in the last two years.  And then there's my pet peeve:  From day one it was all about the offensive system.  You heard very little about the D.  And when the scores were in the stratosphere, it was because the O couldn't maintain ball control.  To turn around a program you need to first stop the bleeding -- play tough defense, hope the O can get you some points, but stay in every friggin game.  Ain't happening and hasn't in three years.

valpotx

That 4th down attempt on Marist's 2 yard line when we were down 9-0 seemed to spark something in the Foxes.  How can we not attempt to get what should be 'gimme' points by FG that early in a game??
"Don't mess with Texas"

chef

It's was 4th and a foot at the one and a half yard line. One area where Valpo has been good all year is picking up a foot when needed. Honestly going for it seemed like the logical call. We had picked up two yards on third and one with the exact same play call earlier in the quarter.

milanmiracle

Quote from: KL31NY on October 27, 2012, 02:19:28 PM
30-0 halftime. Guess who's ahead? I just got back from the mall and read through the game stats and some play-by-play so that's my perspective on what I'm saying next...

You can't get in the red zone twice and posses the ball for roughly 2/3 of the half and have no points. If we're not kicking a 20-yard field goal down 9 points early in the game, when are we ever going to kick a field goal? I don't know why we insist on going on 4th down so much on those kinds of plays, but I've said a week or two ago and I'll say it again, I'll take 3 over a 4th down attempt just to keep a try for 7 alive. Surely we can make a chip shot like that, surely we can actually play the situation one of the these days instead always going for the gusto...

Maybe they couldn't find the kicker. It happened earlier this season.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

HC

At this point Coach Carlson is basically stealing his salary from the university. Name any other person on university payroll who can have 1 success in 30 try's and still have a position. Unless they are waiting for his contract run out his rein should maybe be over.

VULB#62

Contract terms and conditions are a factor that none of us have a line on, so, yes, that may be a factor in any evaluations and decision.  Three wins at the end of the season could shift parameters though; however, the non-competitiveness against the PFL middle teams might offset that.

BUT, having said that .................... 

Of the three remaining games just Campbell is the only legit possibility for a win. They lost to D-II Shorter and barely beat NAIA Virginia-Wise 10-0 for their only win so far and VA-Wise has only won 3 games so far this season.   

Davidson beat us last year at their place and also seem to be more competitive this year than last (Beat Campbell by 7 and had that close loss to Butler yesterday).  At least we see them at home.

Morehead beat us convincingly on our field last year and are an improved team (lost to Butler by only 4 and Drake by 3; scored 27 on Dayton).  We have to go down there -- not easy. 

crusadermoe

Beating only the fighting camels again likely won't stir the blood of potential new recruits.   
Without a winning record, what do you pitch to new recruit?   ----Come hang out in our union or library!   We have about three dozen fireplaces and  several dozen sofas.   Then maybe you close hard by getting them free tickets to Saturday night poetry readings or oboe recitals?

KL31NY

Quote from: chef on October 27, 2012, 11:19:06 PM
It's was 4th and a foot at the one and a half yard line. One area where Valpo has been good all year is picking up a foot when needed. Honestly going for it seemed like the logical call. We had picked up two yards on third and one with the exact same play call earlier in the quarter.

I can understand that. Speaking earlier just with what gametracker was giving me (4th-and-1 at the 2), I would have gone with a FG no questions asked. I like getting points on the board, and down 9-3 with nearly 3 whole quarters left wouldn't sound so bad. If I was on the sidelines with everything building up to that play to account for, I would want to go for it but I'm not sure if I would make that call. But I have never been and probably never will be qualified to be a football coach and to ever deal with a situation like that in reality... just my two cents
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

VULB#62

"Beating only the fighting camels again likely won't stir the blood of potential new recruits.   
Without a winning record, what do you pitch to new recruit?   ----Come hang out in our union or library!   We have about three dozen fireplaces and  several dozen sofas.   Then maybe you close hard by getting them free tickets to Saturday night poetry readings or oboe recitals?"

So....... what does BB use to attract recruits? 
(1) a very good academic reputation,
(2) a competitive, winning program,
(3) a very good D-I mid-major league
(4) professionally experienced coaches,
(5) attractive schedule,
(6) nice locker rooms and training facilities,  and
(7) a pretty nice 5,000+ seat venue.

What can FB offer recruits ?  (1) and (5).  Partial credit for (2) would have been allocated if the team was competitive in most of its games in year three of the rebuild. And, within context (non-scholarship FCS), (3) ---- in conjunction with (5).

If we want to be competitive, we need to add more of those other numbers to the profile.  It's that simple.

Quote from: HC on October 28, 2012, 09:43:35 AM
At this point Coach Carlson is basically stealing his salary from the university. Name any other person on university payroll who can have 1 success in 30 try's and still have a position. Unless they are waiting for his contract run out his rein should maybe be over.

Amen, HC.  Guessing he was given a five year contract.  Cannot let this go on another two years.  Not sure how these things work, but he is obviously not fulfilling his duties.  Do we need to take up a collection for a buy out?  If he is back next year, the program will be unsalvageable if it isn't already. So sad.  Football at Valpo would be missed.

VULB#62

Attached is the points against margin and stuff updated after 8 games.  Click on it to enlarge.

2011 showed improvement on both points for and points against. 2012 not so much so far.

vu72

Adam's margin was 25 in 2005 and 16.9 in 2006. He inherited a 1-10 team his first year plus the unfortunate timing of his promotion.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 28, 2012, 04:10:23 PM
"Beating only the fighting camels again likely won't stir the blood of potential new recruits.   
Without a winning record, what do you pitch to new recruit?   ----Come hang out in our union or library!   We have about three dozen fireplaces and  several dozen sofas.   Then maybe you close hard by getting them free tickets to Saturday night poetry readings or oboe recitals?"

(5) attractive schedule,

What can FB offer recruits ?  (1) and (5).  Partial credit for (2) would have been allocated if the team was competitive in most of its games in year three of the rebuild. And, within context (non-scholarship FCS), (3) ---- in conjunction with (5).

If we want to be competitive, we need to add more of those other numbers to the profile.  It's that simple.

I think you are underestimating (3) and overstating (6) when it comes to basketball.  Basketball does have its own wing and separated practice court but the lockeroom is pretty bad.  I don't know what Kronke has but presume its more than just lockers and weight lifting, I just don't know.

If our football conference was our basketball conference we would be considered the top mid-major in the country.  As for scheduling, we need to remember we are after D2 and D3 kids who would be faced with a bus ride every game to a few miles down the road versus playing games--via air travel--in California, North Carolina, Florida and New York.  That is a selling point, plus, they can honestly say they are playing D1.  Now, the results may cause embarassment, but, my points as to recruiting are still valid.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusaderjoe

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 28, 2012, 04:10:23 PM

(5) attractive schedule,

#7 is a joke right?  Even Homer Drew has said as much in the paper that the "arena" hurt and hampered recruiting to some extent in the past.

HC

Quote from: crusaderjoe on October 28, 2012, 09:06:49 PM#7 is a joke right?  Even Homer Drew has said as much in the paper that the "arena" hurt and hampered recruiting to some extent in the past.

I don't know about football, but I would think bringing in a basketball recruit when the ARC is filled up and rocking, ala Purdue a few years back or anytime Butler was in town, would be an amazing atmosphere for a potential recruit.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: HC on October 28, 2012, 09:28:24 PM
Quote from: crusaderjoe on October 28, 2012, 09:06:49 PM#7 is a joke right?  Even Homer Drew has said as much in the paper that the "arena" hurt and hampered recruiting to some extent in the past.

I don't know about football, but I would think bringing in a basketball recruit when the ARC is filled up and rocking, ala Purdue a few years back or anytime Butler was in town, would be an amazing atmosphere for a potential recruit.

atmosphere? yes. quality of the building? not so much. while it's greatly better than the 10k seat beaver dome on the campus of minot state, it's still not on par even with something like chaiffetz arena at st louis university. or the new gentile center (post-remodel) at loyola.

VULB#62

Quote from: crusaderjoe on October 28, 2012, 09:06:49 PM
#7 is a joke right?  Even Homer Drew has said as much in the paper that the "arena" hurt and hampered recruiting to some extent in the past.

The qualifier in my mind was "pretty nice  and it's 5,000+ seat."  It's not a band box, it' not a 1960's gym.  It may not be state of the art, but in comparison with a lot of ostensibly "D-I programs," it's pretty decent.  You can still bring a recruit in and show him a pretty attractive interior, lots of championship banners, and lots of empty seats that he can envision being filled and noisy. The context was in comparison to Brown Field (no track where a track is supposed to be, rusting stands that look old and abused, a tiny press box, and seating that would not even be acceptable at a good size high school). I'm thinking that the football staff kind of avoids showing off the stadium for fear of chasing away a prospect.

valpotx

There are definitely many D-1 schools that have less capacity, and much worse looking buildings. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

QuoteMichigan offers a preferred walk-on spot to 2013 Leslie (MI) OL Bruce Hall, per Allen Trieu ($, info in header). The 6'4", 250 pound lineman is also getting attention from Northwestern, Ball State, Valparaiso, and a number of lower-division schools.

Hey, don't look know, but we're going up against UM in the recruiting wars--that would be quite a get. 

I imagine the coaches wouldn't try showing HIM the stadium, yes.

http://mgoblog.com/content/monday-recruitin-remixes-bo
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

milanmiracle

Quote from: valpotx on October 29, 2012, 10:34:30 AM
There are definitely many D-1 schools that have less capacity, and much worse looking buildings. 

Go see IUPUI "gym". I know for a fact that Ron Hunter wouldn't show recruits the gym unless he had to. That's a pathetic D1 gym!
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

valporun

milan, you have to admit another pathetic gym was the Jacoby Center at Chicago St., before the Convocation Center they built. That looked like a bad high school gym.