• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

VU vs. Marist

Started by VULB#62, October 21, 2012, 03:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Based on our performace so far VU is in deep sneakers:

Dayton 45, Valparaiso 0 *   
Drake 34, Marist 27 * (OT)   
San Diego 24, Jacksonville 7 *   
Davidson 28, Campbell 21 *   
Butler 39, Morehead State 35 *   

Only one game that was not competitive.  Guess which one? 

Davidson won a game against Campbell who got 21 on the board.  MSU scored 35 points on Butler who embarrassed us at homecoming, and Marist took Drake to OT before losing by a TD.

OMG. Time to look at the 2013 season or the absence of football from the Valpo campus for the first time in 92 years.

usc4valpo

LukePurcy

Luckily men's basketball has their first exhibition game later on Saturday. Not a big embarrassment in this one but I'll be surprised if Valpo keeps it close.

Marist  35
Valpo  13

VULB#62

I've been at two Marist games live.  They pin their ears back and come after you every play - O or D.  We better be prepared.

milanmiracle

Valpo -2
Marist 114

What's the point anymore? They're going to lose, most likely in embarrassing fashion and we'll get some more great quotes about finishing tackles or courage or commitment.

My actual guess...

Valpo 7
Marist 42
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

crusadermoe

Morale is shot.   And why not? 

Marist seems more like the top of division than the bottom. 

42-3.

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

historyman

Marist 40
Valpo   7

Just like Keith Freeman, I'm afraid Dale Carlson has lost the will of his players to win. It's time to find another football coach at the end of the season.

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

FYI  Here are the Marist wins/losses:

W(A) -- Marist 35   Bryant (NEC ) 10
L(H) -- Marist 17    Bucknell (Patriot League) 19
L (A) -- Marist 9      Columbia (Ivy)  10
W (H) -- Marist 34   Davidson  21
L (A) -- Marist 14     Jacksonville  26
L (H) -- Marist 14    Butler  17
L (A) -- Marist 27   Drake 34 (OT) [Marist led at one point 27-3]

I'd love to have Marist's record right now  -- talk about competitive. They are never out of any game.  I could take all those close losses and build on them if I was Valpo.  But you can't build on weekly blow-outs. They scored 34 against Davidson.  They'll score even more on Saturday.

BTW Marist fields 21 men's and women's varsity D-I teams (to VU's 17). Left NEC football when the NEC went scholarship.  4,536 under grads.  $147 million endowment (according to Wiki).

willy

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 26, 2012, 08:30:31 AM
FYI  Here are the Marist wins/losses:

W(A) -- Marist 35   Bryant (NEC ) 10
L(H) -- Marist 17    Bucknell (Patriot League) 19
L (A) -- Marist 9      Columbia (Ivy)  10
W (H) -- Marist 34   Davidson  21
L (A) -- Marist 14     Jacksonville  26
L (H) -- Marist 14    Butler  17
L (A) -- Marist 27   Drake 34 (OT) [Marist led at one point 27-3]

I'd love to have Marist's record right now  -- talk about competitive. They are never out of any game.  I could take all those close losses and build on them if I was Valpo.  But you can't build on weekly blow-outs. They scored 34 against Davidson.  They'll score even more on Saturday.

BTW Marist fields 21 men's and women's varsity D-I teams (to VU's 17). Left NEC football when the NEC went scholarship.  4,536 under grads.  $147 million endowment (according to Wiki).
I totally agree. Marist has been in every game and what more could you ask for.  People from Marist on the Pioneer football fan board are asking for change in there coaching staff.  They are 2-5 but easily could be 6-1.  Does anyone know Valpos endowment?

historyman

Valpo's endowment is around $170 million.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

Makes ya wonder how other schools can make it work and VU can't.

willy

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 26, 2012, 02:20:29 PM
Makes ya wonder how other schools can make it work and VU can't.
AMEN VULB#62!!!!!!

usc4valpo

are they over tithing to the church?

cornonthe

OK...I'll take a crack at the score...

Marist 54
Valpo 10

VULB#62

Score at the half:  Marist 30 Valpo 0

First Half Scoring Summary:

M - 97 yard pass
M - 85 yard run
M - 78 yard pass
M - 96 yard run

Hm.....  qualifies as a balanced attack.

M - 483 yards total offense   |   Valpo 221

:whiteflag:

usc4valpo

cornonthe may have the closest pick today - it's 30-0 at half in favor of Marist.  They have had 4 TD plays of 70+ yards.  Simply brutal.  I feel bad again for Iclow trying to keep a positive face on this.

usc4valpo

are you guys sure that there does not need to be a coaching change?

KL31NY

30-0 halftime. Guess who's ahead? I just got back from the mall and read through the game stats and some play-by-play so that's my perspective on what I'm saying next...

You can't get in the red zone twice and posses the ball for roughly 2/3 of the half and have no points. If we're not kicking a 20-yard field goal down 9 points early in the game, when are we ever going to kick a field goal? I don't know why we insist on going on 4th down so much on those kinds of plays, but I've said a week or two ago and I'll say it again, I'll take 3 over a 4th down attempt just to keep a try for 7 alive. Surely we can make a chip shot like that, surely we can actually play the situation one of the these days instead always going for the gusto...
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

milanmiracle

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 27, 2012, 02:11:41 PM
cornonthe may have the closest pick today - it's 30-0 at half in favor of Marist.  They have had 4 TD plays of 70+ yards.  Simply brutal.  I feel bad again for Iclow trying to keep a positive face on this.

The sad part to all of this is nobody is surprised anymore. 30-0...just another day of Valpo football under the current staff.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

KL31NY

As is often the case, my misery has inspired me to look in the records for some facts...

Since our last PFL championship in 2003 under Tom Horne, we have not had a winning season. Between Horne, Stacy Adams, and Dale Carlson, Valpo football has had only 21 wins in a little more than eight seasons, counting the "progress" in this year's schedule. Here's the kicker: Of all our wins in the last 8+ years, only 9 have been to NCAA Division I opponents. Most of our wins have come against teams like Wisconsin Lutheran, Aurora, and Concordia Wisconsin. Why can't we beat anybody good anymore?

Oh, and we finally scored, 37-7 middle 3rd. Plus no VU penalties!
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

vuweathernerd

Quote from: milanmiracle on October 27, 2012, 02:20:02 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on October 27, 2012, 02:11:41 PM

The sad part to all of this is nobody is surprised anymore. 30-0...just another day of Valpo football under the current staff.

not just the current staff, but pretty much par for the course over the last half dozen years or so (aside from i believe 07 when we managed to go 5-6).

milanmiracle

44 to 7. Not terribly surprised.

For those who want to spin this into a positive, they only got out scored 14-7 in the second half. I am sure Valpo just needs to continue that focus demonstrated in the second half, finish plays, and remain positive for next weeks game.

milanmiracle

Quote from: milanmiracle on October 21, 2012, 08:10:23 PM
Valpo -2
Marist 114

What's the point anymore? They're going to lose, most likely in embarrassing fashion and we'll get some more great quotes about finishing tackles or courage or commitment.

My actual guess...

Valpo 7
Marist 42

Not too far off if I may say so myself. :)

*obviously not the -2 to 114, though I wouldnt have been too surprised either.