• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo-Vanderbilt Connection

Started by VUOR63, January 23, 2014, 05:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUOR63

What is the connection between Vanderbilt and Valpo?  Other than they both start with Vs and are full of intelligent students, they now both have coaches on their football staffs that have Lehigh experience.

I pulled the article below off of a Stanford message board.  It reports that among the staff that Derek Mason is bringing to Vanderbilt is ex-Stanford and Lehigh assistant David Kotulski.  While this doesn't directly affect Valpo, it definitely speaks to the caliber of Lehigh and should give all of us Crusader football fans assurance that (a) we got a good coach and (b) our AD is running in favorable circles.

http://footballscoop.com/news/12338-derek-mason-s-staff-is-coming-together-at-vanderbilt

Hail Crusaders!

VULB#62

Spot on with the connection by these inferences.

Along those lines and to demonstrate that these Lehigh guys have come from a good coaching tree, I'm told that during the interview/recruitment process that Coach Cecchini's biggest issue was the condition of the locker and weight facilities, and that the administration is on top of that with a plan formulated to upgrade that right away (my guess -- within a year).  BTW the administration also told him of plans for a Brown Field renovation plan (including the new all-weather track) that will be similar to Davidson's Richardson Stadium renovation.  Davidson went from an old 20,000 seat facility (site of the first NCAA D-I Soccer Cup) to a lot smaller but more modern grandstand and track. Except for the track, however, the home stands and press box, trail ARC renovation and the new field house in priority.  Cecchini is OK with that.  So there's good news on both those fronts.