• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game 12 @ Texas A&M Wed-Dec 19 7:30 PM Judgement or Redemption?

Started by justducky, December 18, 2018, 10:37:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpolaw

I didn't watch the game. Just saw clips on ESPN and read everyone's comments. I'm glad I didn't watch. This team has become hard, if not unbearable, to watch and I haven't missed many games over the years. Between the law school closing and the poor basketball performance, it's been pretty rough. Nothing surprises me anymore.

justducky

Quote from: oklahomamick on December 19, 2018, 09:54:23 PM
I hope Freeman doesn't get frustrated and leave.  I suspect if things continue Smits will must likely graduate and leave

The way both played tonight I'm not sure who would want them.  ::)

nkvu

Quote from: justducky on December 19, 2018, 10:15:24 PM
Quote from: oklahomamick on December 19, 2018, 09:54:23 PM
I hope Freeman doesn't get frustrated and leave.  I suspect if things continue Smits will must likely graduate and leave

The way both played tonight I'm not sure who would want them.  ::)

Freeman has shown a lot of grit and determination already this year.  I could see a number of P5 clubs wanting him.  I could almost see him as a go to type player by his senior year.  A 5th year Senior Smits - well there are probably some P5 teams that would take a flyer on him just because of his height, but they would probably want him in early so he could get some good big man coaching to get him where he could play 10 to 15 minutes in a backup roll. He's a guy who might have benefited from going P5 from the beginning so he could have gotten good big man coaching and the whoopings from upper classmen that just maybe would have shown him what he needed to do to be a half decent 5.

VU2014

Coach Lottich sounds like a broken record in those quotes. either we don't have the proper talent or roster construction to put out a winning product or the "scheme" and coaching is seriously flawed. Or maybe this teams confidence is in the gutter. I'm not sure what it is, but a lot of the blame has to be laid at the feet of the coach.

nkvu

Ok coach. What we have seen so far is the team is overall a lousy shooting team. Yes in the game or two where they shoot well they are competative, even good.  So what are you going to do about the other 80% of the time when our shooting sucks!  Mail it in and lose or figure out a way to win. Haven't seen much of that yet. You can't continue to play a 1- 4 offense when the 4 can't hit the water  from the end of a pier, can you?  Oh wait, the process (whatever that is) will solve everything. Sorry to sound so negative.

VUGrad1314

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/1075592646415003648

Oh yeah... That game... Another offensive masterpiece by Lottich.

"The shots weren't falling. I don't think we took bad shots." When you have to say this every game  you're taking bad shots.

Bakari is not a three point shooter right now. He needs to attack the basket more. If he doesn't  MVC teams are just going to zone us and dare us to beat them from deep which we can't do. Maybe getting some buckets and drawing some fouls early will get him into a rhythm that allows him to shoot better late.

We need to see more movement without the ball.

Just please  no more getting punked at home. It's a bad look and causes student support\fan support\attendance issues.

oklahomamick

Don't like losing either....I only ask that our offense starts moving and getmooen shots.  If fazekas is our shooter than set something ups. How many times did rowdy and Alec have open shots?  And the other team knew to guard them tight.  Coach drew up plays for them that worked. 
CRUSADERS!!!

VU2010

I don't blame them should there be another place that's a better fit. Beyond a broken record. More like a song stuck on replay that I keep hearing over and over and over and over again. Just wanna click onto the next song.

FWalum

Quote from: VU2014 on December 20, 2018, 04:11:53 PMNot enough Mileek: McMillan provides spark, but cold-shooting Valparaiso falls to Texas A&M
Steve Millar
Post-Tribune

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-spt-mens-basketball-valparaiso-texas-am-st-1220-story.html

Interesting quote from this article "Mileek has good energy," Valparaiso coach Matt Lottich said. "He has competitiveness. He was able to match a little bit of Texas A&M's physicality and athleticism." I try not to criticize coaching too much because in general coaches have a reason for doing what they think is the right thing.  I can't imagine that there wasn't someone on the staff that said it might be a good idea to start Mileek in the second half or at least try to get him in the game early in the half.  Maybe the decent start to the half prevented Mileek's early return, I don't know.  What I do know is that this team and offense were design for the 3 point shot, the first six or seven players are physically small with the exception of Jay and Derrik and they do not really play like "big" players. Essentially what we have is a bunch of 2's and 3's standing around the 3 point arc who are very streaky shooters.  I would seriously look at changing things up and trying to go to a less perimeter based offense.

My other big issue is attitude.  Went to the Ball State game with a former college coach and current TV color commentator who follows Valpo pretty closely, as we were leaving he said that he didn't think this team liked each other very much because of the way they interacted, he thought it was very un-Valpo like compared with the Broekhoff and Peters era teams. He gave several examples of situations, where in the past, teammates would have come to the assistance of a fellow player and that did not happen or was very delayed, "that never happened in the past" was his comment.  I am personally tired of the reactions of disbelief after a foul or the complaints when a shot is missed and the call does not go their way.  This diminishes the game and is disrespectful to the referees and the opponents. There are ways to voice your difference of opinion, but parading around with your mouth agape in complete disbelief is not one of them.  If players don't think this can affect the way a game is called they are very naive. Matt is right when he talks about a lack of toughness... I would also say there is a lack of intensity.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

crusader05

From what i've heard is the the team does like each other. They just don't seem to know how to push each other. They play well together and they fall apart together. This team really really really needs a leader on the floor to get them through. Honestly this team really hasn't had that in a long time. Jubril was probably the best one and he missed half or more of this final season. Max and Tevonn never were vocal leaders and I've heard that last year Joe Burton didn't have a great attitude that rubbed off on the teammates.

There seems to be a confusion as to why their off campus fun and positivity when things are going well in practice isn't translating on the court. I think that there needs to be a focus on team development and healthy team building 

oklahomamick

Jubril was a great leader and great player.  Glad he was a crusader.

However Lexus was the leader of that class.  We also had carter who was a good leader.  But Lexus was the coach on the floor.
CRUSADERS!!!

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: oklahomamick on December 21, 2018, 11:09:43 AM
Jubril was a great leader and great player.  Glad he was a crusader.

However Lexus was the leader of that class.  We also had carter who was a good leader.  But Lexus was the coach on the floor.

I think you are fantasizing about a guy that played maybe 30 games in 4-years as a Crusader, no?  I've noticed many of us talked about him (during his Boise year) as if he would've been the savior of our program.  I strongly disagree on his leadership skills because he had no consistency without injury...

oklahomamick

If Lexus didn't commit to valpo genre is no jubril or Alec.  There was a union street hoops on that.  Lexus was a good general on the floor. 
CRUSADERS!!!

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: oklahomamick on December 21, 2018, 03:35:09 PM
If Lexus didn't commit to valpo genre is no jubril or Alec.  There was a union street hoops on that.  Lexus was a good general on the floor.

I know of the podcast / story you speak, but Lexus is only responsible for his own college selection.  That's simply over blown media speculation "no Lexus, no AP or Jubril"....don't buy it for one second.

VALPO LI

Texas Southern 88
Texas A&M 73
Valpo should have stayed in Houston to play the Tigers  :banghead:
Shine on Vu

VU2014

Quote from: VALPO LI on December 29, 2018, 10:38:53 PM
Texas Southern 88
Texas A&M 73
Valpo should have stayed in Houston to play the Tigers  :banghead:

Yes it's a little frustrating. A&M may not have had it tonight. I think if Valpo was "on" and A&M was having an off night we may have been able beat them.

Also, welcome to the message board!