• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #10 - @Geo Washington - Sat Dec 8 - 3pm - ESPN+ - the Payback continues

Started by talksalot, December 05, 2018, 08:11:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crusadermoe

Ditto.   

Jevon Freeman has so much ability.  He will become a bigger factor every week and has shown locks down as a defender and he integrates well with the offense.  Then you have solid (as expected) transfers into Valpo from major programs: Lavender, Evelyn, and Fazekas. 

Smits holds the key to whether we are just mid-pack MVC or become contenders.  I give him credit where due in the past 3-5 games.  Quality minutes from Sorolla and Mileek will be nice to have, but not an absolute key if Smits can keep up the improvement.  Golder is also a plus factor but the top five is becoming clear now.   

VUGrad1314

Quote from: EddieCabot on December 09, 2018, 07:28:45 PM
Quote from: vu72 on December 09, 2018, 05:28:19 PM
Quote from: Valpo2013 on December 09, 2018, 10:43:54 AMWinning on the road is always tough Although UNLV and especially GW aren't as good as years past I think it's nice to have wins against bigger programs with more resources than us
Quote from: vu72 on December 09, 2018, 05:28:19 PMWe need to win one or both against Ball St and Texas AM to convince me that we are still on track for a 10-8 or better MVC result.
You guys need to take another look.  UNLV lost to Cincy by 5 and Illinois by 3.  We are playing in the Valley, not the ACC.
I share vu72's optimism.  Valpo has a lot of good wins and losses are to ACC and Big 12 teams.  10-8 in the MVC would be a disappointment after what I've seen so far.

Even in light of our downright frustrating performances against SIUE UCR and High Point?

NativeCheesehead

I will (figuratively) pee myself with excitement if we go 10-8 in conference this year.

justducky

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on December 09, 2018, 09:00:54 PM
I will (figuratively) pee myself with excitement if we go 10-8 in conference this year.
Well if we win that 10'th game on March 2'nd against Evansville at the ARC, I hope I'm not sitting next to you in the bleachers.  :o

While I still think that 10-8 could happen our margins for error seem to be narrowing. Our shortened bench is really starting to worry me. Plus Sackey needs a season under his belt, Golder has shown some of his lingering limitations, Sorolla is still a question mark, and Kiser and McMillan still look like Kiser and McMillan. :(

FWalum

Quote from: justducky on December 09, 2018, 02:46:05 PMInterior Defense?     We are still making some mistakes in our interior coverage and rotations.

My biggest concern with this team's defense.  Killed us against Highpoint and almost got us at George Washington.  Teams seem to have no trouble getting downhill to the rim against us.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

bbtds

Quote from: EddieCabot on December 09, 2018, 07:28:45 PM
Quote from: vu72 on December 09, 2018, 05:28:19 PM
Quote from: Valpo2013 on December 09, 2018, 10:43:54 AM
Winning on the road is always tough
Although UNLV and especially GW aren't as good as years past I think it's nice to have wins against bigger programs with more resources than us

Quote from: vu72 on December 09, 2018, 05:28:19 PMWe need to win one or both against Ball St and Texas AM to convince me that we are still on track for a 10-8 or better MVC result.

You guys need to take another look.  UNLV lost to Cincy by 5 and Illinois by 3.  We are playing in the Valley, not the ACC.

I share vu72's optimism.  Valpo has a lot of good wins and losses are to ACC and Big 12 teams.  10-8 in the MVC would be a disappointment after what I've seen so far.

High Point seems to be our low point (I actually wrote that before I realized what a pun/joke it turned out to be) because they are not P5 and UIndy isn't even Div 1 (although they are a very good Div. 2 team). The second half of the UNLV game was not partically well played by either team except that Smits played very tough for probably the first time in his Valpo career. We are a very up and down team that has some potential but doesn't seem to play well all the time (SIUE?) at home especially. Which seems to point at the coaching as a possible problem. Hopefully that area will improve as time goes forward.

valpo64

LOVED the new BROWN uniforms for the GW game.  Really...we had brown and gold uniforms for the Men's basketball team.  What a thought...those colors coincide with our school colors.  IT IS ABOUT TIME WE WEAR BROWN AND GOLD UNIFORMS!

bigmosmithfan1

I'm not crazy about the brown uniforms, but they are WAY better than those burnt-orange road unis we wore in the mid-1980s.

justducky

Quote from: FWalum on December 09, 2018, 11:00:57 PM
Quote from: justducky on December 09, 2018, 02:46:05 PMInterior Defense?     We are still making some mistakes in our interior coverage and rotations.

My biggest concern with this team's defense.  Killed us against Highpoint and almost got us at George Washington.  Teams seem to have no trouble getting downhill to the rim against us.

Coming into 18-19 we all knew that we would be much improved on offense. I assumed that our defense would do likewise. Has it? Our defenders seem to stay close enough to harass drivers but not stop or completely alter their shots or passes.

A half step lead may not be much in a 5k run but in a 3 dribble move to the basket it results in a shot with a 70% probability vs maybe 35%. Is this something that will diminish or disappear as the season progresses? Could this be a result of starting five, big minutes fatigue?

valpolaw

I didn't get a chance to see the brown and gold uniforms but I'm interested in seeing them. I generally think the brown and gold is an extremely outdated look and ugly. I prefer the black and yellow colors.

vufan75

Quote from: valpolaw on December 12, 2018, 09:07:06 PM
I didn't get a chance to see the brown and gold uniforms but I'm interested in seeing them. I generally think the brown and gold is an extremely outdated look and ugly. I prefer the black and yellow colors.
Hope these pics I saw on Twitter give you an idea how the uniforms look.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

VUGrad1314

valpo64

The new Brown and gold unis...great look especially with the yellow/gold shoes

wh

Quote from: vufan75 on December 13, 2018, 08:50:56 AM

I have 3 brown Crusader-wear items that I proudly wear to games - a hat, a long-sleeve T, and a hooded sweatshirt (mild weather). Glad to see that the team and I will finally be in sync.  :thumbsup:

valpolaw

I still think the brown and gold is hideous. There's a reason generally no other schools have that as their colors. We aren't creating a trend in fashion by being the only one with it. It's ugly and outdated. Black and gold or yellow would be the way to go. I'm not surprised though. I remember a few years back they tried to incorporate that weird bright-ish/neon green color into various things for the school for who knows why. 

Valpo2013

Quote from: wh on December 13, 2018, 12:29:45 PM
Quote from: vufan75 on December 13, 2018, 08:50:56 AM

I have 3 brown Crusader-wear items that I proudly wear to games - a hat, a long-sleeve T, and a hooded sweatshirt (mild weather). Glad to see that the team and I will finally be in sync.  :thumbsup:
[/quote

Bleacher report had the color combo one of the worst in the nation

VULB#62

Quote from: valpolaw on December 13, 2018, 08:13:52 PM
I still think the brown and gold is hideous. There's a reason generally no other schools have that as their colors. We aren't creating a trend in fashion by being the only one with it. It's ugly and outdated. Black and gold or yellow would be the way to go. I'm not surprised though. I remember a few years back they tried to incorporate that weird bright-ish/neon green color into various things for the school for who knows why.

Uh.  Wyoming. And Central (or western)  Michigan. And even worse, Lehigh with brown and WHITE.

It can be a great combo, but it needs to be done well.  I do not think that the current B&G is the best design, but it is close. Part of the look is to make sure that the socks and shoes  coordinate. At a minimum,  the shoes need to be either white or gold shoes. Black shoes destroys any look.

valpo64

I still fail to see the trend to having black as a part of uniform color, unless one of the school colors is black  Many schools do it and along with black shoes it is a "nothing look".  While I really like the brown unis, I also think the overall design leaves something to be desired.  Thankfully it didn't take long for the "gray" alternative color to go away.  I remember MLB saying that when Bryce coached they wore the gray ones once or twice and got whipped both times.  After that he said "never again" while I'm coaching here.  I wonder if they are still are still around in storage.