• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Watching the Loyola Game ... commercial??

Started by VU2010, January 15, 2019, 08:11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2010

Ok. So, the Loyola game is ugly. Like, bad. So, let's talk about the commercial they keep showing during breaks. Have you seen it? The one where Porter is talking about the importance of ..... FACILITIES. All while showing the construction of their new practice facility. Genius. And, I know ... I get it ... it's likely the result of a donor. But, it's still a great example of marketing and seizing the moment. Brilliant. Also, Gentile Arena is fantastic. Perfect size. Not too big. Actually more intimate than the ARC due to its design. Great scoreboard. Great seating arrangement. Love it.

bigmosmithfan1

Are you saying that capitalizing on basketball success by investing in facilities is a good thing? That yawning and saying "ho, hum, we don't fill the seats we have, let's not bother with it" is not a good recipe for sustained winning?

Man, that's crazy talk.

wh

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on January 15, 2019, 08:57:10 PM
Are you saying that capitalizing on basketball success by investing in facilities is a good thing? That yawning and saying "ho, hum, we don't fill the seats we have, let's not bother with it" is not a good recipe for sustained winning?

Man, that's crazy talk.

The sad part is there is nothing brilliant or cutting edge about what theyre doing. It's common sense marketing strategy. What is impressive is that Loyola has the courage to act on their convictions where Valpo doesn't. Dreamers talk. Visionaries act.

VU2014

Quote from: wh on January 15, 2019, 10:22:48 PM
Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on January 15, 2019, 08:57:10 PM

Man, that's crazy talk.

The sad part is there is nothing brilliant or cutting edge about what theyre doing. It's common sense marketing strategy. What is impressive is that Loyola has the courage to act on their convictions where Valpo doesn't. Dreamers talk. Visionaries act.

Something that needs to be acknowledge is the that a very wealthy alum is pay for it all. He was the lead donor on the gentile reno and this practice facility. Valpo needs to find their Alum(s)

NativeCheesehead

I'm tired of the wealthy alum talk. Either athletics is a priority or it isn't. The president and the board gave the go ahead to join the MVC. To have done so without a viable plan to bring our facilities up to date is ridiculous.

tiny707

You can be tired of hearing about wealthy Alum all you want but that is the reality. How do think Northwestern got their beautiful football practice facility? Gonzaga kept winning and the money came in for their upgrades. This is only our second year in MVC. How long has LUV been in the MVC? Six years? Their practice facility is still not done. How did Valpo get their beautiful Library built? Donations.

valpo64

Native....do you know for sure that there was not or that there is not a plan in place to upgrade now that we are in the MVC?  By the way, look how long Northwestern waited to upgrade their facility.  Welsh-Ryan had been a dump for years.  And check out some of the campus facilities of some of the Big East teams.  Some of those venues are surprisingly small and outdated.

tiny707

64 you just proved my point. If it took Northwestern a long time with their kind of Alumni($) it certainly will take Valpo some time. Northwestern starting winning which helped. If we keep winning it will speed up the process and time frame.

VU2010

Some of y'all better just be sitting at the arc taking in the aura of the facility with a smile on your faces while you always err on the side of making excuses. As for me, I say why not? Why not invest? Why not come out with some options and see who jumps on board? Many hands make light work. And, I'd suggest you watch the commercial first if you haven't already.

vu84v2

To all of the people who say that Valpo should just invest, I am sure that all of you are committing to donate at least 5% of your total wealth towards the project. Otherwise, it would seem that you are saying that you want lots of stuff and want someone else to pay for it.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: vu84v2 on January 16, 2019, 06:09:55 PM
To all of the people who say that Valpo should just invest, I am sure that all of you are committing to donate at least 5% of your total wealth towards the project. Otherwise, it would seem that you are saying that you want lots of stuff and want someone else to pay for it.

BINGO, it's like some think Valpo has the ability to print currency!!!

historyman

Quote from: vu84v2 on January 16, 2019, 06:09:55 PM

I know of one alum who has pledged 5% of his income and is giving it on a monthly basis. I'm very proud to know him and that as an individual he is doing his part. If only we could get people on this message board to put their money where their mouth is and display a giving attitude that helps the university. I truly believe that if we on this board could learn to give like this one alum, who by the way, doesn't live in Valpo and doesn't have tons of money, is giving we could fund the enhancements that the ARC is in need of. It would be a slow process but at least we would be moving towards the goal instead of sitting on our hands and wishing for some rich alum to come through or blaming the university for not getting it done.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

usc4valpo

Perhaps we need more successful alums. what's wrong with us?

crusader05

Some of it is probably the age of the alums. It seems older alums and those who leave in their estate tend to give towards chapel related or academic programming. I'm not sure when basketball or athletics really became a part of the Valpo atmosphere but it could just be that those more invested in the program are not fully in the place where they can give a large amount. 

vu72

Quote from: crusader05 on January 17, 2019, 08:35:55 AM
Some of it is probably the age of the alums. It seems older alums and those who leave in their estate tend to give towards chapel related or academic programming. I'm not sure when basketball or athletics really became a part of the Valpo atmosphere but it could just be that those more invested in the program are not fully in the place where they can give a large amount. 

I think you hit the nail on the head.  Basketball has always been a big part of the University but D1 basketball and the athletic arms race really didn't happen until the last 20 years or so.  That means a 75 year old (class of '66), watched games at Hilltop, studied at Moellering, played pool at the old Union, lived in Lemke, if a business major, studied at DeMotte and if a Phi Psi, lived at the old house which was replace by the current house which is about to be torn down to be replaced by the new house.

So since that person graduated the library, union, business school and multiple other academic buildings have been replaced and some of the replacements are in need of replacement.  It is a never ending cycle because athletics isn't the only spending "arms race" facing academics today.  My point is that academic facilities stability may very well lead to more funds being available for sports related facilities.  The reality is that those 75 year olds have probably given about all they can.  It may take a few more years for those "younger folks", those perhaps just now thinking about retirement, to step it up. We'll see...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on January 17, 2019, 09:55:24 AMI think you hit the nail on the head.  Basketball has always been a big part of the University but D1 basketball and the athletic arms race really didn't happen until the last 20 years or so.  That means a 75 year old (class of '66), watched games at Hilltop, studied at Moellering, played pool at the old Union, lived in Lemke, if a business major, studied at DeMotte and if a Phi Psi, lived at the old house which was replace by the current house which is about to be torn down to be replaced by the new house.

I did all those things and why do I want to give money?

vu72

Quote from: bbtds on January 17, 2019, 11:36:12 AMI did all those things and why do I want to give money?

Because you aren't 75--yet!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on January 17, 2019, 02:32:44 PM
Quote from: bbtds on January 17, 2019, 11:36:12 AMI did all those things and why do I want to give money?

Because you aren't 75--yet!

I'm a lot closer to 75 than probably many of you think.