• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MVC 2018-2019 Freshman of the Year

Started by tiny707, January 16, 2019, 08:35:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiny707

AJ Green versus Javon this Saturday...

valpo64

Do we  know if Fazekas will play vs. UNI because with him in the lineup I think it makes Freeman much more effective.

VU2014

Quote from: valpo64 on January 16, 2019, 02:40:32 PM
Do we  know if Fazekas will play vs. UNI because with him in the lineup I think it makes Freeman much more effective.

I have no clue but seeing him still in the walking boot last night makes me think he won't play. Maybe there is some gamesmanship going on with Ryan's health status in public. Remember Hinson said Bol was out to the media but still played him.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: tiny707 on January 16, 2019, 08:35:13 AMAJ Green versus Javon this Saturday...

Green balled out but Freeman gets the W So how do we score this? Does performance matter or do wins?

Valpower

If you've been a Valpo fan long enough, you know that numbers (specifically, a narrow set of mostly offensive ones) matter most.  We have a long tradition of having good teams who don't get various POY awards because we play defense and share the slow-tempo scoring.  Also, you learn that they don't matter and prefer the wins any day.

vu72

I can't see how Green isn't the pick.  Javon tried his hardest and couldn't stop him.  Offensively, Javon disappeared.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

M

Green will win it, he can really score....but Freeman could put up good numbers if he was the focus of every offensive trip and had the ball in his hands 75% of the time. (Not going to mention the moving screens)

valpolaw

Having never watched him before, Green was pretty impressive. Javon is also great but as someone else said, he doesn't get as many looks bc we have so many weapons. I'd take the win over personal achievements all day though

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: vu72 on January 20, 2019, 08:14:08 AM
I can't see how Green isn't the pick.  Javon tried his hardest and couldn't stop him.  Offensively, Javon disappeared.

Seemed like Daniel Sackey guarded him as much or more than Freeman??  Being at the game there are distractions that take my focus, but I seem to remember Green (6'4") going off when being guarded by Sackey (5'7").  He just used the high ball screens and shot over him with ease.

Also, Green is impressive (efficient) and I don't think Javon is that polished on offense as of yet (even if the offense was run thru him).  Didn't watch Green on Defense but you're hard pressed to find a college freshmen this ready for stout defense out of the gate, especially small framed as most MVC recruits tend to be at G.

Green reminds me of a more athletic Seth Colclasure.

NativeCheesehead

Green plays (and shoots) like a prized recruit with a family member on the coaching staff. That being said, he might be the most talented player in the conference. He also made some very freshman plays last night.

But of course they're not even in the game without him.

justducky

It wouldn't shock me if the 3 top candidates for the 2021-22 MVC POY will be Green, Freeman and Sackey. Watching them as their careers develop should be exciting.  :thumbsup:

Meanwhile I was just looking at some season stats and Javon now has 43 assists vs 29 turn overs. That is a respectable ratio for any aggressive 2 guard. For a freshman 2 they are very solid and better than I was expecting.

Sackey has now played 276 minutes and is clearly being fast tracked. I had doubts that he would get that many minutes for the entire season. He is now 5-20 for 25% from 3. Does he finish over or under 25% for the season?

VUBBFan

I would love to see Javon win Freshman of the year, but I'll concede to Green.

Green is UNI's Big Wheel and main point of emphasis on the team. Their offense runs through him. He accounted for about 1/3 of their shots taken and was 10/10 from the free throw line. As a result he gets most of the Stats sans some for McDonnell. Stats are what people look for when the votes are made. Make no mistake he is a very good player.

However, Javon is on a team that ( in my opinion ) has more talent, that shares the wealth. He doesn't have to be the center of attraction and will probably not have as impressive a Stat line, consistently as Green.  However Javon plays very unselfishly. Doing what is expected of him, at a high degree and putting team and teammates above himself. In my mind this makes the whole team better. Just watching him you can see his passion and drive to win and how hard he plays. I'd rather have him than a stats only player.

In the end look at who ends up on the winning team.

valpo64

Green was very impressive for a freshman.  Because he is basically their only scorer and ball handler it only accentuates his great offensive ability.  I will take a good winning team before a single outstanding player on a so-so team any day.  I wonder if he will stay around for 4 years at UNI or step up to a major conference team. He sure has the ability to make that move if he wants to do it.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: valpo64 on January 20, 2019, 12:30:43 PMGreen was very impressive for a freshman.  Because he is basically their only scorer and ball handler it only accentuates his great offensive ability.  I will take a good winning team before a single outstanding player on a so-so team any day.  I wonder if he will stay around for 4 years at UNI or step up to a major conference team. He sure has the ability to make that move if he wants to do it.

It's very early but I wouldn't be surprised if there's some NBA talk for him late next year if he keeps it up.

justducky

Quote from: valpo64 on January 20, 2019, 12:30:43 PMI wonder if he will stay around for 4 years at UNI or step up to a major conference team. He sure has the ability to make that move if he wants to do it.

Cleveland St and the Horizon League have become a farm team, developmental league for the major conferences. Fortunately UNI has a coach and program history that widely separates them from that category. Certainly Green could move on but I wouldn't bet on it.

VU2014

Quote from: vu72 on January 20, 2019, 08:14:08 AM

I can't disagree that Green should win it but I thought Javon  did a decent job on Green at the end of the game. The problem was the moving screen non-calls on UNI.

oklahomamick

Javon does what is needed to win
CRUSADERS!!!

bigmosmithfan1

I think one head-to-head matchup in Jan. isn't going to decide this, nor should it. That said, Green is going to be one of the top Valley players for the next few years. He's next-level good.

VU2014

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on January 22, 2019, 10:58:13 AM
I think one head-to-head matchup in Jan. isn't going to decide this, nor should it. That said, Green is going to be one of the top Valley players for the next few years. He's next-level good.

One thing to remember is that his Dad is a long time Valley assistant who knows many of the journalists and writers, so that may have some sway if it gets close towards the end of the season.

EddieCabot

Quote from: VU2014 on January 22, 2019, 03:58:03 PM
Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on January 22, 2019, 10:58:13 AM

One thing to remember is that his Dad is a long time Valley assistant who knows many of the journalists and writers, so that may have some sway if it gets close towards the end of the season.

Good point.  Paul discussed the matchup on his podcast today and had some interesting takes.  Give it a listen!