• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

The Athletic Department should be embarrassed.

Started by valpospartan, January 26, 2020, 11:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on February 09, 2020, 07:53:13 PM
Watching the Loyola game today was tough. Such a great feel in the Gentile Arena. Updated seating, video boards, sound, and a REAL collegiate feel. Watching the UNI game yesterday, I was blown away. The differences between the ARC and the stadiums of our conference members are unbelievable. Hard to believe at this point (having now experienced the MVC as a member of it) that it wasn't part of the agreement when we joined the conference .... that we do some major upgrades .... like, even the yellow lights for starters. Embarrassing.

And, Loyola's 50-member band rocked the place. And, they have a food court adjacent to the Gentile Center that we chose to use after the game rather than stop somewhere on the way home. And, 100 year old Sister Jean gave a lengthy opening prayer courtside. Very cute lady!

valpo64

I hear you...we need the improvements in the worst way I totally agree.  I guess I am surprised that with their recent successes Loyola's attendance is not that much better than ours, even with their better facility and our antiquated one.  Maybe? Maybe? 

NativeCheesehead

Maybe not, but a better home environment can translate to more wins, which is better seeding in the conference tourney, a better chance to win and go to the tourney, etc which does equate to more money. Loyola, even after their final four run, is still well outside the sports radar of most Chicagoians. Big cities typically don't show a ton of support to their mid majors (See League, Horizon). But their doing better than I expected in the MVC since they made the jump.

GoldenCrusader87

1. Broke the streak by winning 2 straight.
2. Let's say we win vs Drake on Wednesday to make it 3 straight wins.
3. Let's say there's no snow storm or any bad weather on Saturday with Bradley coming to the ARC.

Question: What does the ARC look like? +/- 3,000 fans? Or is +/- 2,500 the bar we will set?

We wanted more Saturday night games. Especially when students are there. And we'd be on a win streak with an opportunity to stay out of Thursday night - which is a goal many folks on here have set for this season - sooo will people show up? How about students?