• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

McCallum's year so far

Started by vu72, November 22, 2011, 03:15:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Ray Jr. is probably one of the most exciting players to come into the Horizon League in many years.  A five star McDonald's all American doesn't come along that often.

So I thought I'd take a look at his numbers so far this year to see how his "First Team All conference " prediction from the coaches and press, is working out.

I saw him play against Notre Dame and to me, he was trying to do too much, trying to take over the game, with very mixed results.
This goes back to the coach of course and how he is using his talented son.

Here are the numbers through 4 games (last night's loss to GW).  First, last night:  4 for 12 from the field, 0 of 2 from the 3, 3 of 6 from the FT Line, 11 points, 0 assts, 2 TOs.

For the season the numbers are a little better.  45.3% shooting, 25% from the 3 and 73.3% FTs.  15.8 ppg and 4.5 boards together with a 2.8 asst to TO ratio.

I thought I'd try to match that up against one of our guards and found that Jay Harris is having a better year, after 5 games. He is playing virtually the same amount of time (29.8 min for Ray vs. 27.2 for Jay).  He is shooting slightly better overall at 45.5% and 35.3% from the 3.  Of course he is shooting 1000% from the line and has a very good 3.6 to1 asst to TO ratio.

Not sure what my point is ther than to say that Ray is forcing his game and trying to do too much.  As a result, coupled with their Center being out, Detroit is off to a mediocre start.  Not the stuff of a conference champ--at least at this point.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

One could say that when Holman punched out that fraternity member he let the air out of the sails for Detroit as far as competing in the Horizon League this year. Is there any further news on if or when Holman is returning to the basketball team at Detroit?

sectionee

On a related note, Detroit is currently l
Playing valpos next home opponent in bowling green

swiftmutiny

Detroit lost 67-61 to Bowling Green.

historyman

Quote from: swiftmutiny on November 22, 2011, 08:51:12 PM

This just goes to prove that by himself McCallum is not a big enough star to win without Holman. And having his father as coach is not a positive for Detroit.

dylanrocks

This makes the Titans 0-3 against Division 1 opponents.

Worse yet, Nick Minnerath reportedly tore his knee two minutes into the game and is lost for the season.

Without Holman, Blake and Minnerath, will Detroit even finish in the league's upper half?

swiftmutiny

Yikes, nothing is going Detroit's way lately. With so many starters out defenses are able to key in on McCallum, so unless some of their other players really step up their game I wouldn't be surprised at seeing Detroit finish in the bottom half.

Speaking of McCallum... only 11 points in 37 minutes against Bowling Green. 3-10 from the court.

valpotx

Detroit will not finish in the upper half without Holman and Minnerath.  Maybe a 6th-7th place finish now if McCallum carries them?
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Quote from: dylanrocks on November 22, 2011, 10:29:26 PM

This makes the Titans 0-3 against Division 1 opponents.

Worse yet, Nick Minnerath reportedly tore his knee two minutes into the game and is lost for the season.

Without Holman, Blake and Minnerath, will Detroit even finish in the league's upper half?

Minnerath was VERY impressive against us last year - both scoring and rebounding.  That is a huge loss for them.  Blake also.  If Holman comes back at some point, they could still be respectable.  If not, they are probably in for a long season.  Obviously not good for them - or for the league.

bbtds

I love this suggestion from the Detroit board:

Also, I suggest we, as a group, get on our damn hands and knees and beg that woman to let Eli and Blake play.

Discipline of a player is sometimes hard on the fans.   ;D

More posts from the Detroit board:

This so totally sucks. Who'd have thought that before Thanksgiving we'd be 0-3 and Minnerath, Holman, and Blake would be out? I think it feels worse than if we all expected a 12-20 team. But oh, to already be saying "wait til next year."

I had NCAA Tourney hopes before the season, but it seems like the stars have aligned to completely torch this team.

OK, let's go for broke...redshirt Nick, Eli and my season tickets.

Can we redshirt the whole team? Do we get a Mulligan?

I'm a new fan, attending my first game last year. Maybe I'm the bad luck charm. I should just stay home from now on...boo...hoo

LaMarcus Lowe doing a good job so far, but I wish we had both him and knucklehead Eli.

dylanrocks

It's Nov. 23 and only five league members have the faintest shot at an at-large berth ... and none of them are named Detroit.

With road victories over Vanderbilt and Kent State in hand and with only Rhode Island and Akron looming, Cleveland State is in great shape.

Butler still has some opportunites. Will Milwaukee or Valparaiso score the notable non-conference victories enabling them to break through?

(For the record, Youngstown State has neither the schedule nor the history to suggest that it is a serious NCAA tournament contender).

vu72

I agree about Minnerath.  He ate our lunch last year at the ARC.  Still, given their player losses, they still had a bunch of players back from last year including McCallum, Minnerath (to this point) Chase Simon and Calliste and a very long and athletic Lowe.  How's that working out?

We lost what? 60% of our scoring and we seem to be doing fine.  The HUGE difference is in the coaching and probably to the same extend, the type of player on the roster.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

We would have to beat OSU to even have a chance at an at-large.  I think next year would be a good possibility due to having the whole team back, but it will depend on our schedule.  I just don't see us getting an at-large this year with the success of other mid-majors against some major programs so far.
"Don't mess with Texas"