• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Brandon Wood to play on an aircraft carrier?

Started by valpotx, July 22, 2011, 03:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

Wrong about Matt Howard. He plays for Chorale Roanne Basket in France. He has not "washed out of Europe" per se. Yes Howard did not make it on a high level Greek team because of an injury and the fact that only 2 foreigners were allowed on that team.

http://www.chorale-roanne.com/

Also it should be remembered that there are different levels of play in Europe even in the same country.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

EddieCabot

Per this article, it looks like Brandon was picked up by a team in Hungary a few days after his release in Macedonia.

http://www.eurobasket.com/Hungary/basketball.asp?NewsID=289025

talksalot

He played last night (10/12)...nice line score, in the starting lineup...  6 of 7 2-ptrs, 1-of-4 from 3 pt range and two free throws. 3 rebounds, 5 assists 1 block and one turnover.  Led the team with 17 points and they won.  The other American College students on the team:  Ronald Moore from Siena, Damian Hollis from George Washington

more about the team:... in fact, more than you ever cared to know...

This is the "A" division of Hungary...from a town about 30 miles southwest of Budapest.

http://www.eurobasket.com/team.asp?Cntry=Hungary&Team=633&Page=1

They play in the Alba-Regia Sportscentrum... capacity:  2,500... if you're planning a trip, set your GPS to:  8002 Székesfehérvár  Csíkvári Street 10, Hungary

This team's history: 
Hungarian League Champion -98, 99, 00
Hungarian Cup Winner -99, 00
Hungarian League Finalist -06, 11
Hungarian Cup Finalist -04, 05, 11

Wikipedia adds:   Albacomp is a Hungarian professional basketball club based in Székesfehérvár, that currently compete Nemzeti Bajnokság I, the premier division of basketball in Hungary. Founded as the successcor of Székesfehérvári MDSE, they took the Hungarian championship title three times and won the Hungarian cup on two occasions. In addition, Albacomp also were crowned as the Central European Basketball League champions in 2009.
Hungarian League Regular Season Runner-Up -05, 11, 12
Hungarian League Semifinals -03, 05, 12
Hungarian Cup Semifinals -06, 07, 10, 12

LaPorteAveApostle

his whole arrest & subsequent career disgrace just reminds me of the immortal Ko Simpson, onetime Bills safety, who upon being arrested, said, "I'm Ko Simpson of the Buffalo Bills!  I'm worth MILLIONS!!!"

And when was the last time you heard of him?

Although, one of my VHS classmates, Sarrah Stricklett, had the (alcohol-fueled) audacity to say to VUPD when found drinking underage at an off-campus party, "Don't you know who I AM!?!?!?"

Nope.  Ticket for you.

hubris...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

Haha, that is a funny story about Stricklett.  Hopefully Wood has been humbled, and uses it to drive him to be successful
"Don't mess with Texas"

hoopfan22

Career discrace? That kid got a B1G ring and is playing pro basketball in a pretty decent league. Some disgrace.

agibson

Nine games into his Hungarian career he's averaging 20.7 points in 29 minutes per game.  Seems to be doing OK for himself.

valpotx

It does seem like he is doing better in that league, and always seems to be keeping up with Valpo.  I noticed he congratulated Buggs on his 15 point effort via Twitter the other day
"Don't mess with Texas"