• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #9 @ Dayton Flyers

Started by VULB#62, October 27, 2014, 04:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Dayton will be in a bad mood having been beaten by USD 40-29.  Our boys should be in a bad mood as well after coming so close.

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

This won't be any Lonesome Polecat game.  We score towards the end, keeping the game close.

Valpo   -  24
Dayton -  30

bbtds

usc4valpo

FloridaFootball

Valpo 21-19 Dayton

Brandon Hall will be big in this game.

usc4valpo

This game will be a decent measure on how well the Crusaders can compete with the other half of the competition.  In past years, this game was a blowout.  I think they will compete well in this game but currently they do not have the talent or depth to pull a win.  I want to continue to see more of the newcomers contribute and shine.  We will see here.

VULB#62

At the half, Dayton 14 - VU 6   

Who wuddah thunk it would be so close at this point (in the context of the past 5 seasons).  I missed all but the last couple minutes of the half, but I heard Dayton scored alll 14 points early and teh VU D has shut them dpwn since then.  Another blocked FG by one of our kids --

Also Newman missed one of his FG attempts. 

And we almost got it to 14-10 but had to settle for FG with under 30 secs left.

2013 -  20-45
2012 -  0 - 45
2011 - 10 - 49
2010 - 14 -48
2009 -  7 - 38

THE VIDEO IS A DELAY.  LIVE STATS ARE WAY AHEAD.  It is actually 7:44 left in the 3rd and Dayton is leading 21-12.  Valpo driving.

VULB#62

First drive of the second half -- Valpo scores.  14-12 and going for 2.  No good.  Lehman's pass to Hall was just off the mark -- could have been a score.

VULB#62

Caved in in the second half.  42-12  with 5:59 left in the 4th.   :(   :(   :( 

bbtds

vu72

Some weird stuff today.  Going for it from our own 30 made zero sense and sealed our fate.  The defense was just out there too long.  Lehman will not lead us anywhere.  I understand the wind was an issue but his arm strength just isn't there.  The freshman looked pretty good and I wouldn't be surprised to see him get some additional playing time.  Today was actually winnable if we hadn't dropped passes, dropped interceptions and missed wide open guys.

Big game next week with a bunch of key guys probably out including Karamata, Cassara and Hall.   :(   Just beat Butler and the season will be a big success!!!!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Quote from: vu72 on November 01, 2014, 02:52:40 PM
Big game next week with a bunch of key guys probably out including Karamata, Cassara and Hall.   :(   Just beat Butler and the season will be a big success!!!!!

Butler beat Morehead 62-52.  They played under special rules:  Only offensive players were allowed to dress.

bluehorseshoe

We just cannot keep giving up 400-600 total yards each week and expect anything good to happen ..why pass when you can run on us and why run when you can pass...film is film, is no one getting called out each week?? The other teams know how and where to go after us. Same missed tackles, bad angles, no big plays or sticks to turn a game around, no changes in the D personnel. For the O...do we have a #1 running back yet? Each week it's different, not like these 3 kids are tired of running the ball. Stretch the field, middle screens, reverses??  Special teams...?  Well you get it. Time to shake things up and get some MOJO going. Or this tape of 14 is looking like 13.       

vu72

Quote from: bluehorseshoe on November 01, 2014, 03:45:21 PM

Not sure we were watching the same game.  We gave up a total of 366 yards and had 433 ourselves.  We dropped two interception opportunities that most likely would have been returned for touchdowns.  We were within a two point conversion of tieing  the game in the third quarter.  As for running backs, we use different backs for different situations.  That is not unusual.

We simply gave the ball back to them too quickly and our kids ran out of gas in the second half.  We also dropped several easy catches and missed wide open guys.  That is a matter of skill or concentration, not poor game strategy.

Oh, and about the running back situation, Hall was out with an ankle for the last two and a half quarters and Bastin didn't even make the trip because of an injury.  Wide receiver was much the same as Cassara re-injured his shoulder and Karamata also went down. We will have to play more freshman because of all this.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bluehorseshoe

Yes I did see the game, I am simply summarizing some aspects of the season so far in terms of the D and the O. I am very familiar with situational subbing and various packages for down and distance. All other teams seems to have 1 or 2 RB's that lead the way...sometimes subbing backs isn't ideal and often shows gaps. Unlike other teams who seem to keep their backs
on the field no matter what the situation. 

After the St Joe's game HC said going back to basics and all slots up for grabs...no real changes were made, and here we are.   

I read your reply, I see "drops" "misses" ..."ran out of gas" "within a 2 point conversion to tie" "dropping interception opportunities" ...we are talking about D1 football here right? Not a coaches - parents meeting after a Pop Warner film session? 

I truly do feel bad for the players. We lost the game. Badly. Hope things get better with Butler.

usc4valpo

72 - I was not at the game, as I attended the ever competitive and tropically invigorating game in Ames.

I hate to see the veteran WRs injured and I hope they recover soon.  However, there are some freshman that show serious potential and it is time to really give them a chance.  Lehman looked like he had a crummy game loaded with "interceptions and stuff."

vu72

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 01, 2014, 07:49:17 PM
72 - I was not at the game, as I attended the ever competitive and tropically invigorating game in Ames.

I hate to see the veteran WRs injured and I hope they recover soon.  However, there are some freshman that show serious potential and it is time to really give them a chance.  Lehman looked like he had a crummy game loaded with "interceptions and stuff."

I agree and it looks like that is happening.  Clarke, the quarterback who replaced Lehman, is a freshman.  Frank Catrine who is getting more playing time and was mentioned favorably in the post game, is a freshman. Jarrett Morgan, who is all over the place, is a freshman, and guys like Spencer Pennington, also a freshman, are getting more reps.  Lots of sophomores as well.

As I mentioned earlier, we out gained them, had more time in possession, more first downs etc.  We also had dropped passes a punt that went for negative yards that wasn't blocked and three interceptions.  It wasn't a beat down, but rather a self inflicted shot to the foot. We will be better with experience and some additional talent.

valpochgo

I was at the Dayton game today.  Valpo offense again had difficulty scoring in the red zone early then Dayton just dominated the second half of the game.  Although Ryan Clarke was playing against Dayton's second unit; he looked very composed and has a nice arm.  I think some of the young guys look really good so I'm looking forward to some better years ahead.  This year is basically done so the coaches may as well let the seniors play instead of the freshman as it's their last year and they are playing for the love of the game;so I say let them play.....

usc4valpo

This is a dilemma chgo.  First, are we trying to get better or trying to have make sure the seniors are happy and get their reps?  In my opinion, the best players should always play, no matter if you are a freshman or a senior.  Also, three games is a lot of time to evaluate players and look at next year.