• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #30 @ Bradley Wednesday 2/27/19 7pm

Started by VUSWIM08-12, February 25, 2019, 05:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD24

Quote from: valpo64 on March 01, 2019, 11:42:21 AMTalk about production!  Against Bradley, our 2 7-footers, combined, played a total of 39 minutes and had 4 rebounds and 14 points.  Wow!  Then I wonder where we stand in all of Div 1 B-ball regarding 3-point shooting....attempts, made, and %-age.  Let's hope we got it all out of our system in Peoria.
297(tied) of 353 in 3pt FG%
333(tied) of 353 in 3pt attempts per game.

So we're not good at making 'em and we don't take 'em.

VU2014

Quote from: JD24 on March 01, 2019, 05:11:05 PM
Quote from: valpo64 on March 01, 2019, 11:42:21 AMTalk about production!  Against Bradley, our 2 7-footers, combined, played a total of 39 minutes and had 4 rebounds and 14 points.  Wow!  Then I wonder where we stand in all of Div 1 B-ball regarding 3-point shooting....attempts, made, and %-age.  Let's hope we got it all out of our system in Peoria.
297(tied) of 353 in 3pt FG%
333(tied) of 353 in 3pt attempts per game.

So we're not good at making 'em and we don't take 'em.

Those are jaw dropping stats.

I remember Coach Lottich being quoted last year saying he'd like our offense to be like Loyola's but we don't have the personel to be them. We have nice pieces that can play roles but we don't have many well rounded players. There are a few glaring holes in many of our players games. Ex: Golder. Excellent piece of a team being a spark playing off the bench but not a guy who could probably be the guy who can carry a team for an extended stretch of games. Good defender, athletic, (was)a strong 3 point shooter, good FT shooter, but the glaring hole in his game is that doesn't handle the ball well and overcommits to driving to the lane when he should really kick it back out when nothing is there.

We need more versatility in future rosters and more guys that can handle and take care of the ball. I think this will be addressed with future rosters. Love our freshman class and the two transfers redshirting this year because there is some versatility there with Robinson and I've heard good things about Gordon. It also appears that Clay Donovan isn't a one dimensional player either.

GoldenCrusader87

Those numbers are appalling. Idk what to say. Great job pulling that together. Wow. Still in shock. Bottom of the barrel for sure.

oklahomamick

Those 3pt stats are crazy.  Valpo was a program that always had good shooters so this makes it more difficult to accept.

Is it fair to say that basketball has gotten away from big centers with the back to the rim and more a 3 point game? 

We are doing the opposite.

CRUSADERS!!!

VUGrad1314

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 02, 2019, 08:53:29 AMThose 3pt stats are crazy.  Valpo was a program that always had good shooters so this makes it more difficult to accept. Is it fair to say that basketball has gotten away from big centers with the back to the rim and more a 3 point game? We are doing the opposite.

More than fair. Look at the Warriors last year's Rockets and this year's Bucks. It's finding its way into the college game too.

JD24

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 02, 2019, 09:07:16 AM
Quote from: oklahomamick on March 02, 2019, 08:53:29 AMThose 3pt stats are crazy.  Valpo was a program that always had good shooters so this makes it more difficult to accept. Is it fair to say that basketball has gotten away from big centers with the back to the rim and more a 3 point game? We are doing the opposite.
More than fair. Look at the Warriors last year's Rockets and this year's Bucks. It's finding its way into the college game too.
Finding its way? It's been part of the college game for at least as long as in the pros. In fact, one of the reasons the pro game has changed as much as it has is because the colleges don't send post up centers to the pros. A lot of it came from the international game.

For Valpo, the problem is that they don't have any identity on offense. They don't have the shooters (at least this season) to run a 5 out type of offense. Their post up game has one decent option in Smits who is clumsy with the ball and not quick in the passing game (something he did not inherit from his dad) and they don't have enough iso skills amongst their players to run much of anything else. Sorolla I find a nearly complete waste of time combined with the rest of the roster. The result? To me it is too much standing around.

oklahomamick

Too much standing yes,

I think we are better 3pt shooters than what the stats say.....if we had an offense that gave us open looks. 

Previously a lot of our best 3 point shooter caught the pass was set and shot.  A lot of designed plays too.
CRUSADERS!!!

M

Wanting to play a certain way but not having the right personnel...sounds like Fred Hoiberg

VUGrad1314

Now that I think about it Brook Lopez is exhibit A of this transition. He came into the league as predominantly a low post scorer with some midrange face up chops. Now that he's in Milwaukee Budenholzer's five out offense has him shooting a respectable 36% on super high volume (6.5\game) this means he hits about 2.5 triples a game which is great for a seven footer.

wh

Next year will be the 3rd consecutive season Valpo has "centered" its offense around 2 7-footers. One has no effective post moves and can't hit a 4' turnaround with any consistency. The other refuses to play defense. If I never see another 7-footer in my lifetime, it'll be a day too soon.

justducky

Quote from: wh on March 02, 2019, 10:13:51 AM
Next year will be the 3rd consecutive season Valpo has "centered" its offense around 2 7-footers. One has no effective post moves and can't hit a 4' turnaround with any consistency. The other refuses to play defense. If I never see another 7-footer in my lifetime, it'll be a day too soon.
:rotfl:

We get your point but imagine the 18-19 Smits centering the 16-17 team. Walker, Joseph, Hammink, Peters, Williams and Adekoya would have been your outlet passing targets. Would anybody double down on Derrik?

wh

Quote from: justducky on March 02, 2019, 11:14:56 AM
Quote from: wh on March 02, 2019, 10:13:51 AM
:rotfl:

We get your point but imagine the 18-19 Smits centering the 16-17 team. Walker, Joseph, Hammink, Peters, Williams and Adekoya would have been your outlet passing targets. Would anybody double down on Derrik?

I took BB101, too, so I do understand the value of parking a large individual underneath the basket, especially if he's surrounded by 4 average to great 3-point shooters. In fact, his multiple defensive deficiencies would likely be less noticeable with double digit rebounders Alec and Jubril playing lockdown defense and swarming the boards on every possession. I'll even bet he would play with more energy and intensity after his older teammates "encouraged" in private. But, who knows, maybe we'll have that utopian situation next year?