• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs. Loyola (1/19) Game Thread

Started by valpopal, January 18, 2012, 04:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

govalpogo

The Rambler Rowdies won that student section contest because their day to be judged was when they played Butler and lost by only two.  Later that weekend, they played Valpo and about 1/4 of the students were there. 

StlVUFan

Quote from: govalpogo on January 20, 2012, 12:23:42 PM
The Rambler Rowdies won that student section contest because their day to be judged was when they played Butler and lost by only two.  Later that weekend, they played Valpo and about 1/4 of the students were there. 

That definitely rings a bell with me too.  Good recall.

valporun

Quote from: StlVUFan on January 20, 2012, 01:24:04 PM
Quote from: govalpogo on January 20, 2012, 12:23:42 PM

That definitely rings a bell with me too.  Good recall.

This was also when Butler was playing as the dominant team in the conference with Hayward, Howard, Mack, Campbell, and the team that if the halfcourter had gone in, would have been the 2010 National Champions. Loyola fans only showed up because it was the big game, and they felt they had a great team that year. I think it might have also been the HL Game of the Week on ESPNU, if we were in the contract with them that year?

govalpogo

From watching the end of that Loyola game on HLN, it was a great atmosphere and splendid basketball game worthy of taking home the student section challenge...it just wasn't a fair sampling to be judged against.  The "Drew Crew" at the time won an honorable mention in that contest mainly for our "sportsmanship" and "toughness in the face of adversity" when we played Detroit on a Saturday noon game.  It was the first time that we had a mostly full student section after that 9-22 season killed off a great deal of interest.  Detroit was starting to become a potential power and Valpo was trying to make a statement...and boy did they by coming out on fire in the first half to be up by a large margin at the break. There were dunks, alley oops, three pointers and absolute domination that we hadn't seen on the court since 2007/8.  Then came the "adversity" noted above; Detroit erased our 19 point lead and took back the lead on a 3 pointer from (Nate?) Keeling. On the ensuing possession, I could feel us willing Brandon Wood into shooting a 3 to get us back into the game.  We took home the 74-70 win in the end after a back and forth final 10 mins.  It was just what we needed to get students back and that game is one of my top 5 favorite (behind Butler '08,'10,'11 and the Missouri St. games) times at the ARC during my time at VU.  It was a blast, and it got me hooked once again on Valpo MBB. 

govalpogo

KL31NY

Quote from: govalpogo on January 20, 2012, 03:35:25 PM
Look what I found! (Sorry to get off topic)

http://youtu.be/kGPDXoD2fug

Thank you so much for that. Great game to attend and great highlight recap to relive. If I'm not mistaken, that's HLN's own Will Haskett on the call, dropping in a little Gus Johnson here and there. Fun stuff.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

vuweathernerd

Quote from: govalpogo on January 20, 2012, 03:35:25 PM
Look what I found! (Sorry to get off topic)

http://youtu.be/kGPDXoD2fug

i remember being beside myself at this game that such a huge halftime lead was choked up and thinking we were so immensely lucky that we managed to come out on top.

historyman

This highlight video reminded me how important Xavier Keeling was to the Detroit team and along with losing Minnerath is what really led to their downfall in the standings this season. Of course having Ray McCallum as coach doesn't help much at all either.

crusaderjoe

Chase Simon called for a charge in the final seconds of last year's game. 

Chase Simon called for a charge in the final seconds of this year's game.

historyman

Quote from: crusaderjoe on January 21, 2012, 06:13:56 AM
Chase Simon called for a charge in the final seconds of last year's game. 

Chase Simon called for a charge in the final seconds of this year's game.

Yep, no difference in Chase Simon. He makes bonehead plays at the end of games. Difference is Minnerath and Keeling are gone.

valpotx

Imagine that, a Detroit team that tried to pick a fight during a game
"Don't mess with Texas"