• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Baylor faces possible sanctions

Started by valpo04, April 09, 2012, 10:46:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

Baylor full NON-Conference scheduled released...
-----------------------------------------------------------------

The Bears are scheduled for 15 games against 2012 NCAA Tournament teams, and with two opponents in the Charleston Classic to be determined, Baylor could play as many as 17 of 31 regular-season games against NCAA Tournament teams from a season ago.

"Last season in mid-January we had the No. 1-rated strength of schedule in the country," head coach Scott Drew said. "With the teams we're playing this year, we have a chance to have an even tougher schedule."

Oct. 25 - Abilene Christian (Exh) @ Baylor
Nov. 9 - Lehigh @ Baylor
Nov. 11 - Jackson St @ Baylor
Nov. 15 - vs Boston College (Charleston Tourney)
Nov. 16 - vs Colorado/Dayton (Charleston Tourney)
Nov. 18 - TBD (Charleston Tourney)
Nov. 24 - College of Charleston @ Baylor
Dec 1 - @ Kentucky
Dec 4 - Northwestern @ Baylor
Dec 12 - Lamar @ Baylor
Dec 17 - USC Upstate @ Baylor
Dec 21 - BYU @ Baylor
Dec 28 - @ Gonzaga (Spokane, WA)
Jan 19 - Hardin-Simmons @ Baylor

You would think that a game against Valpo would actually help Baylor's non-conf schedule which was released yesterday, 8/14/12. But I'm afraid the other posters are correct. The Drew family does not want to play each other and cause the family to have to choose sides. It will not happen unless it's in the NCAA tournament.

Scott certainly isn't shy about playing big name opponents on their floor.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

covufan

Quote from: justducky on August 15, 2012, 12:13:21 AM
Quote from: covufan on August 14, 2012, 06:09:23 PMUnless there is no Drew on the Valpo sidelines, you won't see Baylor at the ARC.
And you have reason to believe this because......?

If it is true that the Drew brothers would both like to wait for an eventual NCAA match-up, then even if Bryce stays at Valpo (not a certainty) the chances for many of us actually living to witness such an event are  pretty remote. Even if they are both still coaching 25 years from now, the laws of probability might still have them waiting.

So I am not saying that a 2 for 1 would necessarily be the right deal for us to offer, but if they were to receive such an offer would it not be something that Baylor and Scott would need to consider? Maybe ESPN coverage (in some form) for all 3 games with Scott making a swing through Indiana maybe also catching ND or Purdue and culminating with his return to the ARC. Why not? Why not at least start talking? And while the folks are still alive would be nice.
It won't happen.  As others have alluded, the Drews have stated in the past, both Homer and Scott, and Bryce and Scott, that the personal drama would be too much for both sides.  Other coaches in similar situations have said the same thing.

justducky

Quote from: covufan on August 15, 2012, 03:54:01 PMIt won't happen.  As others have alluded, the Drews have stated in the past, both Homer and Scott, and Bryce and Scott, that the personal drama would be too much for both sides.  Other coaches in similar situations have said the same thing.
"Personal drama" - really, so if they do get matched up in an NCAA game will most of the family stay home and not even watch it on TV? Brothers are usually brought up to compete and much of this starts and continues with their personal competition, often for life. So a portion of Homer, Bryce, and Scotts replies come across to me as a carefully scripted "pablum for the press" response that may well mean nothing (not a lie but not necessarily the full truth).

Anyway since my days are getting a little shorter than most of yours and I would love to see it happen it is my intent to bring this up again next year, and the year after that, and so on until it either happens or until I am dead. The rest of you may join me whenever you are ready, because an army of one doesn't draw much attention.

covufan

Quote from: justducky on August 15, 2012, 05:48:40 PM
Quote from: covufan on August 15, 2012, 03:54:01 PMIt won't happen.  As others have alluded, the Drews have stated in the past, both Homer and Scott, and Bryce and Scott, that the personal drama would be too much for both sides.  Other coaches in similar situations have said the same thing.
"Personal drama" - really, so if they do get matched up in an NCAA game will most of the family stay home and not even watch it on TV? Brothers are usually brought up to compete and much of this starts and continues with their personal competition, often for life. So a portion of Homer, Bryce, and Scotts replies come across to me as a carefully scripted "pablum for the press" response that may well mean nothing (not a lie but not necessarily the full truth).

Anyway since my days are getting a little shorter than most of yours and I would love to see it happen it is my intent to bring this up again next year, and the year after that, and so on until it either happens or until I am dead. The rest of you may join me whenever you are ready, because an army of one doesn't draw much attention.
I would like to see it happen as well.  I believe that rlh responded that it would never happen, and why.