• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Big loss for Saint Louis U

Started by historyman, October 18, 2012, 06:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/mitchell-will-miss-start-of-slu-season-with-broken-bone/article_b8ec881e-171d-11e2-bec1-0019bb30f31a.html

Kwamain Mitchell, SLU's best player and floor general, has broken his foot and will most likely be out till the beginning of 2013 and will miss the Dec.2 game against Valpo at Chaifetz Arena.

The loss of Mitchell, the team's captain and floor leader, is significant for a team picked to finish second in the A-10, though the guard position is the one spot where SLU has depth and experience, with juniors Mike McCall, who has played the point extensively over the past two seasons, and Jordair Jett, who has become the team's top defensive player. SLU also has a promising freshman guard, Keith Carter, who coach Rick Majerus described as the second best point guard he'd ever recruited, after only Andre Miller at Utah. Carter's playing time at the start of the season is likely to increase, and this also opens the door for junior Jake Barnett.

Mitchell averaged 12.4 points per game last season, most among returning players, and had 126 assists with a 2-1 assist-turnover ratio, which tied him for best in the A-10. He also led the team in minutes, averaging 31.4 per game. But just as important as his numbers is Mitchell's role as a team leader who makes good decisions with the ball.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

EddieCabot

This happened several weeks ago and I referenced him (not by name) in a different thread.  This is a double-edged sword for Valpo ... it will certainly improve your chances in the game at SLU, but it may also drop SLU's ranking because they'll lose other non-con games while he's out and a win over an SLU team without Mitchell will carry an asterisk in some people's minds.  I'll be chided by historyman for this reference, but it's similar to when Butler beat OSU a few years back when they didn't have Evan Turner.

No matter who is or isn't available, Valpo just needs to step up and win the game.  Great opportunity for a quality road win against a highly rated team that will be important when March rolls around.

IMO, for Valpo to have an at-large resume, they need to win at least 1 of the SLU/MSU/UNM road games, win the other non-con games and win at least 13 HL games.  All achievable if this team is as good as everyone is saying they are.

historyman

Quote from: EddieCabot on October 18, 2012, 09:43:38 PMThis happened several weeks ago and I referenced him (not by name) in a different thread.  This is a double-edged sword for Valpo ... it will certainly improve your chances in the game at SLU, but it may also drop SLU's ranking because they'll lose other non-con games while he's out and a win over an SLU team without Mitchell will carry an asterisk in some people's minds.  I'll be chided by historyman for this reference, but it's similar to when Butler beat OSU a few years back when they didn't have Evan Turner.

I check some of our opponents newspapers every few days and this is the first time I had seen anything in the St Louis paper on this injury. It was dated 10/15/12. Although the story says it happened the week before.

Yes, leave your Butler baggage at the door.   ;)
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann