• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

ok, what now?

Started by usc4valpo, November 11, 2012, 08:02:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Amundsen produced a two-time All-American OT and an NFL starter for the NY Jets. TX, check the BB stats.

Garry Spencer Puetz (born March 14, 1952 in Elmhurst, Illinois) is a former American football guard and tackle in the National Football League for the New York Jets, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Philadelphia Eagles, New England Patriots, and the Washington Redskins. He played college football at Valparaiso University and was drafted in the twelfth round of the 1973 NFL Draft.
In 1971 and 1972, he was named to the Kodak College Division All-American Team. A three-time All-ICC offensive tackle (also kicker in 1972), he owns the distinction of earning a Super Bowl ring in 1982 with the Washington Redskins.
Puetz played baseball in college for two seasons, hitting .321 each year and leading the Crusaders in hitting in 1972 .

valpotx

Wow, I knew that Puetz played football at VU, but did not know he played baseball.  A good all-around athlete I guess
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Was Puetz on a full ride scholarship at Valpo? Didn't he also kick extra points? He wasn't shy about trying things out that is for sure.

I won't forget when Howard Cosell said Val-par-I-so on Monday Night Football with Dandy Don Meredith and Frank Gifford. It was the only way to watch the NFL other than on a local channel with the local team on Sunday back then. Cosell was the ultimate in east coast bias and opinion based broadcasting. Puetz might have well come from Mars as far as Howard was concerned. Dandy Don couldn't think of a song that went with Valpar-I-so so he couldn't comment and Gifford was probably trying to get a date with a cheerleader. But this was the group that helped launch the NFL into the league it is today. Without national TV coverage the NFL would be more like the NHL.

vu72

Quote from: bbtds on November 28, 2012, 12:17:46 PM
Was Puetz on a full ride scholarship at Valpo? Didn't he also kick extra points? He wasn't shy about trying things out that is for sure.

I won't forget when Howard Cosell said Val-par-I-so on Monday Night Football with Dandy Don Meredith and Frank Gifford. It was the only way to watch the NFL other than on a local channel with the local team on Sunday back then. Cosell was the ultimate in east coast bias and opinion based broadcasting. Puetz might have well come from Mars as far as Howard was concerned. Dandy Don couldn't think of a song that went with Valpar-I-so so he couldn't comment and Gifford was probably trying to get a date with a cheerleader. But this was the group that helped launch the NFL into the league it is today. Without national TV coverage the NFL would be more like the NHL.

Gary was a fraternity brother of mine, and yes, he did kick.  The record book says he is 4th all time in field goals with 10 in 1972.  He is tied for 5th all time in extra points, with bob Lampe.  Both kicked 26.

I know there were scholarships back then but hard to say whether or not it was a full ride.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

Quote from: bbtds on November 28, 2012, 12:17:46 PMWas Puetz on a full ride scholarship at Valpo? Didn't he also kick extra points? He wasn't shy about trying things out that is for sure. I won't forget when Howard Cosell said Val-par-I-so on Monday Night Football with Dandy Don Meredith and Frank Gifford. It was the only way to watch the NFL other than on a local channel with the local team on Sunday back then. Cosell was the ultimate in east coast bias and opinion based broadcasting. Puetz might have well come from Mars as far as Howard was concerned. Dandy Don couldn't think of a song that went with Valpar-I-so so he couldn't comment and Gifford was probably trying to get a date with a cheerleader. But this was the group that helped launch the NFL into the league it is today. Without national TV coverage the NFL would be more like the NHL.
I will say this - Cosell, Gifford and Meredith were better than what is on the networks right now.  MNF was an event that it is certainly not today.

Sometime back, there was a TV movie called "Monday Night Mayhem,"  which was excellent.  Except for Meredith, everyone hated Cosell. But he could make a game of checkers into the biggest television spectacular around.

Now if you want bad fb annoucers, where can you begin?

crusadermoe

Loved MNF as a kid.     There was a huge mystique.     Maybe part of it was that all you ever saw of games outside your region was the "halftime highlights" that they would show during 5 minutes of halftime.

I was a Detroit Lions fan and they virtually disappeared.   Usually saw Dolphins, Cowboys, Jets, Rams or Steelers.   

Anyway, a lot of the MNF mystique came from not seeing so much of the other teams.  Same with mlb.

vu72

OK, time for some serious trivia.  chef, are you listening??  Here's the question:  MNF started in what year and, who were the two teams involved in the first game, where was it played and (bonus points) what was the significance of the game relative to comments made the previous year by one of the players in the game? I'll post the answers sometime tomorrow...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

covufan

Quote from: vu72 on November 28, 2012, 09:48:53 PM
OK, time for some serious trivia.  chef, are you listening??  Here's the question:  MNF started in what year and, who were the two teams involved in the first game, where was it played and (bonus points) what was the significance of the game relative to comments made the previous year by one of the players in the game? I'll post the answers sometime tomorrow...
1970, Jets-Browns, in Cleveland, my guess would be comments made by Namath before the Super Bowl, but that wasn't the year before, just earlier in 1970.  Maybe about the merger of the NFL and AFL?

covufan

Quote from: covufan on November 29, 2012, 12:32:47 AM
Quote from: vu72 on November 28, 2012, 09:48:53 PM
1970, Jets-Browns, in Cleveland, my guess would be comments made by Namath before the Super Bowl, but that wasn't the year before, just earlier in 1970.  Maybe about the merger of the NFL and AFL?
Memory lapse - It was the '69 Super Bowl ('68 season) that the Jets won the Super Bowl.  I was thinkging it was '69 season and '70 Super Bowl.

vu72

A WINNER!!  You got them all correct, except possibly the details about Joe Namath's comment.  After winning the Superbowl vs. the Colts (#3), when asked why people thought the Colts would win easily, He said "who did they think they were playing? The Cleveland Browns?" (The Colts had beaten the Browns handily in the NFL title game)

vu72

Ya know, it may have been before the game, come to think about it!  Nonetheless, it was the comment that didn't sit well with the Browns players or the folks in Cleveland and as a result the first MNF game had some great buildup and a result that made the Cleveland fans pretty happy.

VULB#62

FWIW in the football department, here's a link to all the press releases and stories regarding new HFC Mike Minter at Campbell. Expect use of tight ends and a smash mouth rushing offense.  He is certainly a high energy guy.  Talks about how it felt to be 1-15 and having John Fox come in, turn things around, and in two years they were in the SuperBowl.

http://www.gocamels.com/sports/fball/2012-13/releases/20121128si83ve

laura

College Sports Madness ( USA Today subsidiary) came out with its post season All-Conference Team. Four Crusaders made the team. Greg Wood Senior -Punter. Jake Hutson Redhirt Freshman-Running Back, Patrick Derbak Junior- Linebacker andBill Bodzianowski Senior-OL. So we have two All-Conference players returning, one on Offense and one on Defense. These are our building blocks. While other schools have press releases about these athletes who have been honored...Carlson still has his Davidson Blog up...just embarassing....on his part.

VULB#62

Quote from: laura on November 29, 2012, 10:05:47 PM
College Sports Madness ( USA Today subsidiary) came out with its post season All-Conference Team. Four Crusaders made the team. Greg Wood Senior -Punter. Jake Hutson Redhirt Freshman-Running Back, Patrick Derbak Junior- Linebacker andBill Bodzianowski Senior-OL. So we have two All-Conference players returning, one on Offense and one on Defense. These are our building blocks. While other schools have press releases about these athletes who have been honored...Carlson still has his Davidson Blog up...just embarassing....on his part.

Nice to know.  A bit more info and the link.

Wood 1st Team D
Hutson 2nd Team O
Derbak 3rd Team D
Bodzianowski 3rd Team O

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/5487

covufan

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 30, 2012, 12:02:14 AM

Wood 1st Team D
Hutson 2nd Team O
Derbak 3rd Team D
Bodzianowski 3rd Team O

Thanks for the info and the link!

It might be that "College Sports Madness" is not a major publication, or that the PFL voted teams has not been released yet, for the reason that VU nor Carlson has mentioned these accomplishments.  Congrats to them!

usc4valpo

perhaps there is some news brewing at the ARC?

VULB#62

Quote from: covufan on November 30, 2012, 03:45:21 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on November 30, 2012, 12:02:14 AM

Wood 1st Team D
Hutson 2nd Team O
Derbak 3rd Team D
Bodzianowski 3rd Team O

Thanks for the info and the link!

It might be that "College Sports Madness" is not a major publication, or that the PFL voted teams has not been released yet, for the reason that VU nor Carlson has mentioned these accomplishments.  Congrats to them!

Don't think so.  Morehead State had a big release about 10 of its players being recognized by College Sports Madness.

VULB#62

The athletic department was a little slower than Morehead, but here's the link to the Valpo College Sports recognition:

http://www.valpoathletics.com/football/news/2012-13/12220/four-crusaders-honored-by-college-sports-madness/

valporun

Our Sports Info department might have been slow about it because they had other things being worked on, or whomever is in charge of the football news might have been getting ready to travel, if it's Aaron, he might have been on the road to St. Louis, or had another sport they were traveling with and didn't get the info about this College Sports Madness list right away? I'm being a tad more patient with this corps of Sports Information staff because it is Aaron who has been working without a full-time staff for awhile, then was handed two Grad student interns to finish out the 2012-2013 season, until the AD can find a new SID to be full-time with Aaron.

VULB#62

Yessir. Aaron's kicking butt, but he's only got two feet.  The guy must not sleep.

willy

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 26, 2012, 09:31:00 AMHere's a kind of season wrap-up by John Mutka. The focus is on punter Greg Wood, who has pro scouts looking at him, but it also goes into the outlook for the future. Here's one quote from the article: "So why 1-and-10? The Crusaders were outscored 334-84 in the first half. Playing from behind is not recommended for a coach seeking a long shelf life, but athletic director Mark LaBarbera believes the Crusaders are headed in the right direction against a schedule which no longer welcomes Division III pushovers." :-X There's a lot of mention at how young the Crusaders were. :snore: Here's the link to the full article: http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/16618887-556/mutka-vu-punter-greg-wood-getting-pro-attention.html

If the administration truly looked at this season with an open mind it is impossible in my opinion to say the program is improving.  The average score at halftime was 30 to 7, the games were over at halftime and the other teams showed us mercy.  We gave up over 500 yards of offense in 5 games and over 600 yards in three more.  The stats from games are embarrassing.  Youngstown State seven first half touchdowns, Dayton 631 yards of offense for a school record.  Dayton with 473 yards rushing another Dayton record and a Pioneer Football Conference record. Marist four touchdowns over 75 yards and the longest play in Marist football history.  Morehead State most points scored against a div. 1 opponent in school history and five touchdowns of 50 yards or more.  The administration needs to take responsibility of the situation and do whatever it takes to improve the program.  The young men playing for Valpo deserve the best that Valparaiso can give them.  The players have committed to Valpo and its time that Valpo steps up to the plate to give these young men a program they can be proud of!

usc4valpo

Quote from: valporun on December 01, 2012, 08:44:38 AMOur Sports Info department might have been slow about it because they had other things being worked on, or whomever is in charge of the football news might have been getting ready to travel, if it's Aaron, he might have been on the road to St. Louis, or had another sport they were traveling with and didn't get the info about this College Sports Madness list right away? I'm being a tad more patient with this corps of Sports Information staff because it is Aaron who has been working without a full-time staff for awhile, then was handed two Grad student interns to finish out the 2012-2013 season, until the AD can find a new SID to be full-time with Aaron.
For good management practices, is it possible that Carlson can be the SID and we can find a new coach?  We fill a position and we have an open slot for the head coach.  Just trying to be creative.

valporun

usc, why you don't put in your resume to be the next head coach of Valpo football? Oh wait, THE JOB ISN'T OPEN!! Until it is, if it becomes open, quit trying to fill a position with your gibberish about how you seem to be a better armchair football coach than Coach Carlson has shown as an on-field coach to this point.

usc4valpo

Please, lighten up run.  Smile, have a little fun over a pathetic situation. 

You hire people to provide a service to do a job.   Carlson is not meeting the expectations to do this job.  Also, effective leadership do not need to be experts in a specific discipline, but effective leadership make decisions to bring in experts to resolve situations.

How do you support the situation Valpo is in right now?  Also, the "why can't you do the job" and armchair QB explanations are a copout.  There are many, many coaching  candidates out there.  The excuse that "you are not the coach, you are not there" is a lame remark.  The football program is 2-31!  It needs change and the university is not doing a thing about it. I don't having to be Bill Belicheck to know that change is required.

BTW, I do care about Valpo, it is a great school but this situation is embarrassing.  In you want a high level perspective, my coworkers who are Valpo alums laugh about the situation and could care less.  They ask why there is football at Valpo in the first place.  When you see this, some level of change is required.  The problem  is that the university is terribly ineffective resolving a $4M to $5M annual issue.

milanmiracle

Quote from: valporun on December 01, 2012, 09:22:24 PM
usc, why you don't put in your resume to be the next head coach of Valpo football? Oh wait, THE JOB ISN'T OPEN!! Until it is, if it becomes open, quit trying to fill a position with your gibberish about how you seem to be a better armchair football coach than Coach Carlson has shown as an on-field coach to this point.

True, the job isn't technically open but I think at least some posters on here have come to the conclusion we're just waiting out the clock. Count me in that category. Even if USC4Valpo is the worst armchair quarterback ever, what are they going to lose, 2 more games in three years? Not a real big drop off there. 0-33 isn't very different from 2-31.

And what exactly has Carlson shown as an on the field coach? How to get annihilated in the first half? It's not like they're losing close games, they're getting crushed right out of the box.

The reality is, when you are historically bad, people will speculate about your job and who to replace you with. If he were 31-2 we wouldn't be having this conversation.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado