• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Nebraska Game

Started by vu72, November 13, 2012, 06:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Might as well get this started. They will pose an entirely different challenge and I sure wish we had Capo!  They are HUGE!  I mean HUGE!!

Check out their roster:  http://www.huskers.com/SportSelect.dbml?spid=24&spsid=23&db_oem_id=100
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

MattCarter

Yup they are some corn-fed farm mules for sure!  We sure coulda used Bobby for this one.  I have no clue on how this game goes, but if it were me...I'd let the boys give it everything for a half...if its a lost cause let Vashil bang and learn and focus on Kent State...if its game on, though game on!
The two greatest things on earth?  Short hair cuts and Valpo Victories!

HC

Valpo plays that zone so well I only worry about rebounding. Valpo should have no problem getting looks. They will have to limit offensive rebounds if they are going to win.

govalpogo

Wow, 5 guys 6-10 or taller!  They can't all be good tho, right?  Hopefully the outside shots for Valpo will continue to fall through the hoop. 

covufan

This one should be close, even without Capo.  We need to hit the boards a little better than this morning.

Valpo 67
Neb   65

LaPorteAveApostle

Nope, not close.

Valpo by 12 (although, closest game so far this year).

Quote12. Nebraska (#216 KenPom)

Last year: 12-18 (4-14 Big Ten)
Returning Starters: 1
Key Returners: C Brandon Ubel, SG Dylan Talley
Key Departures: SG Bo Spencer, SF Toney McCray, PG Brandon Richardson
Top Newcomer(s): PG Benny Parker (Rivals 3*), SG Shavon Shields (3*), PG Deverell Biggs (3*)

Nebraska, a team that fired Doc Sadler after a disappointing 4-14 Big Ten debut, now must entirely rebuild after losing four starters and returning only two players—C Brandon Ubel and SG Dylan Talley—that averaged more than 8.3 minutes per game last year. Let's just go ahead, say they'll finish last, and never speak of them again.

http://mgoblog.com/content/hoops-preview-2012-13-big-ten-outlook
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/valpo-s-three-point-threats-concern-miles/article_7fb918b5-f5a2-524b-8c9a-cb963fbe0342.html

As well they should.

Money coach quote:
Quote"We don't have a whole bunch of depth and athleticism that's just going to pressure them off their spots, where you can just overwhelm them with defensive pressure. So we're going to have to play our system but limit opportunities. Byproduct of that is, they're going to drive it harder on you, they're going to be at the rim more, so we're going to have to protect the rim, stay out of foul trouble."

Look out for Ubel, who put up 21-12 on Southern in their only game so far.

Only 8 players played more than a minute. 

Of their bigs:  Ubel played 33 min;
Almeida, the huge (6'11" / 314) dude only played 19 min with 2 points and 2 boards (4 fouls);
That's it.

Rivers is a big guard (6'7") but that's all the height they play. 

Roster looks scary, but in real life...kind of like "The Woman In Black".
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vuweathernerd

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 13, 2012, 07:54:51 PM
Almeida, the huge (6'11" / 314) dude only played 19 min with 2 points and 2 boards (4 fouls)

sounds like a recipe for some easy points. gotta take advantage of foul-prone players when we can.

valporun

Hmmm...Does something about the "Money quote" ring familiar?

Anyway, while Nebraska has some big bodies, they are learning a new system, and probably aren't matching the necessary chemistry for the system yet. Almeida might be the "goon", like Aryes (sp?) from Milwaukee was. If we can keep the backdoor layups going, we might have the bigs out early because they'll keep hacking at us trying for the blocks, only to commit fouls all over.

milanmiracle

MUST BEAT BCS SCHOOL. End of story. :)
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

LaPorteAveApostle

BCS-schmeeseeess.

We are #106 KenPom.  They are #213.  We should beat anyone we're that far ahead of, home or away, bcs or no.

In fact, there are only 2 BCS schools lower-ranked.  Utah is the lowest, and the other one has Richie the Tat Edwards redshirting it up.

A loss would be an upset on the almost-identical (kenpom-pythag-measured) magnitude of Colorado State beating IU.

Or us beating Duke.

(Or, for those of you Butler fans with separation anxiety, losing to Arkansas St.)

BOOK IT. 

agibson

This is KenPom based on one of our games?   I wouldn't put much stake in these computer rankings for a while...

valpotx

They only beat Southern by 11 at home...we should win by double digits:

Valpo 65
Nebraska 52
"Don't mess with Texas"

crusadermoe

Kevin should be aggressive and clever enough to match up with their one good big.     However, if he starts out with fouls......

I saw Vashil for first time on ESPN yesterday.    His footwork not ready for a polished opponent.  Maybe next year.   Yes, Capo would make this a more solid pick.   

Hopefully we can shoot well and create a lead in first half.   ESPN kept saying we had great spacing on the floor.   Hope we can score 80+ because they should be slow team.

VUfan

VU 78 NU 70 Wewin with quick passing,  inside out passing  quick tempo and tight defense. We are on the road at a Big Ten School, they are big we need to take that away. It should a good Game to watch and a chance to improve Valpo's record against the Big Ten.

78crusader

Still somewhat skeptical that we can beat a BCS team, albeit a Big 10 cellar dweller, on the road....

Nebraska 70
VU 64

Paul

justducky

This is a must have win if we are to have any at large hope. Even though it is at Lincoln and we are without two future key players (Capo and Dority), we are still the better team.

If Bryce comes up with a good game plan that is executed properly and Erik and Kevin stay out of early foul trouble then all we should need is 30 to 35% 3 point shooting. So lets call us a 5 point favorite with a 62% chance of winning and 72-67 sounds about right.

FWalum

This game is completely about mental toughness and confidence.  The team must EXPECT to win this game.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VULB#62

From what I saw v. NIU, Nebraska will only see a teenie tiny microbial drop-off in talent and pressure as Valpo runs its normal rotations.  Plus they will see a range of skills 1-8 or 9 that will keep them hopping to adjust.  That'll be a killer for any team that can't match our depth.  Wudda been nice to have Capo though.

valpopal

I have seen two early Vegas lines on the game, one had it even and the other favored Valpo by 2 points. It should be a good test, especially at the beginning stage of the season. I would feel more confident if we had Bobby and this wasn't the team's first away game. Still, I am not going to pick against them:

Valpo 74
Nebraska 69

HC

Valpo wins by double digits. How is Buggs doing after that fall he took at the end of the game.

agibson

Twitter mentions training rooms, rehab, and most recently, 7-8 hours ago:

EJ ‏@ImJustEB15

Let me head to the training room... Finally all packed up for this road trip

HC

Just saw a tweet from the post trib writer saying Buggs is good to go!

agibson

https://twitter.com/MichaelOsipoff/status/268862537276207104

Michael Osipoff ‏@MichaelOsipoff

#Valpo PG Erik Buggs is OK, practicing this morning, after landing on his hip against Northern Illinois yesterday morning. #Valparaiso

3:46 PM - 14 Nov 12 ·

Smj

Anyone see a way that we can watch this game on TV or streaming?