• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2/16/13 Valpo home to UDM

Started by talksalot, February 12, 2013, 08:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smj

Could someone please ssk dority to stop forcing ugly shots...?   Drive and dish or throw it back out...

LaPorteAveApostle

First half in the books and couldn't have gone any better, unless you're truth ;)

let's blow 'em out in the second.  enough drama in the last one to not need any tonight! :)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Smj

I could definitely do without drama in this game.

mj

Uhh what the hell has happened?
I believe that we will win.

atkins

17 turnovers against an average Detroit team.  Absolutely no rebounding.  Horrible defense with Detroit scoring in the paint at will.  Ryan a non-factor so far. This game has highlighted Valpo's many weaknesses.  We'll see who wins, but this is awful.  If we were playing a top 30 team, we'd be blown out by now.  Not a very good showing before a national audience -- Typical Valpo. 

truth219

I've said it before and I will say it again....dority isn't a good point gaurd. He actually isn't good at much. Turns it over he can't finish at the hoop and forces the ball everytime. He has brought us down. Say what you will but he hasn't helped much

govalpogo

And the rivalry continues to build....dammit.

govalpogo

I guess it's better than losing at home in the conference championship game...

vuweathernerd

we choked. game management in the second half was absolutely terrible. that's the biggest problem bryce has, in my mind. but we really have to give credit to detroit for ramping up their defensive pressure when it mattered. they simply shut our offense down for over 6 minutes, and we couldn't respond with stops of our own. that said, those of you who live near campus need to go sit in your rocking chairs on your porches with a beer in one hand and a shotgun in the other, lest the vandals come back out.

SadersofthelostArc

Quote from: truth219 on February 16, 2013, 07:12:05 PM
I've said it before and I will say it again....dority isn't a good point gaurd. He actually isn't good at much. Turns it over he can't finish at the hoop and forces the ball everytime. He has brought us down. Say what you will but he hasn't helped much

Wow, I have defended you to many on this board, but then you go and make a comment like this and affirm what everyone says about you.

Cool Ranch is in his first half-season with the Saders...he's averaging double figures, very solid FT shooter, decent 3 pt shooter, turns the ball over less than Buggs, etc etc. We're 14-4 since he joined the squad, so I think he has helped out plenty and has not "brought us down." 

valpotx

Quote from: vuweathernerd on February 16, 2013, 07:24:23 PM
we choked. game management in the second half was absolutely terrible. that's the biggest problem bryce has, in my mind. but we really have to give credit to detroit for ramping up their defensive pressure when it mattered. they simply shut our offense down for over 6 minutes, and we couldn't respond with stops of our own. that said, those of you who live near campus need to go sit in your rocking chairs on your porches with a beer in one hand and a shotgun in the other, lest the vandals come back out.

It is legal to defend your home with a gun in TX, is it in IN? lol
"Don't mess with Texas"

Smj

Quote from: SadersofthelostArc on February 16, 2013, 07:27:42 PM

Wow, I have defended you to many on this board, but then you go and make a comment like this and affirm what everyone says about you.

Cool Ranch is in his first half-season with the Saders...he's averaging double figures, very solid FT shooter, decent 3 pt shooter, turns the ball over less than Buggs, etc etc. We're 14-4 since he joined the squad, so I think he has helped out plenty and has not "brought us down." 
Dority has a lot of skill but he is impatient and forces things a bit too much.   Needs to keep under control on the drive so he can do something with it.   I think a couple times i saw Bryce "coaching" him...   Dority is a good player - just seems like he drives and heaves it up or hopes for a foul.   

valpotx

All in all, this game won't matter in the end.  We will still be the #1 seed, and all will be rectified come the rematch
"Don't mess with Texas"

vuweathernerd

Quote from: valpotx on February 16, 2013, 07:35:56 PM
Quote from: vuweathernerd on February 16, 2013, 07:24:23 PM

It is legal to defend your home with a gun in TX, is it in IN? lol

no idea. don't live there anymore. but i don't see what the problem is if you're just sitting there on the porch. you're not actually brandishing it at anyone.

Smj

I was thinking - rather they beat us now and we win the next time....

SadersofthelostArc

Quote from: Smj on February 16, 2013, 07:37:25 PM
Quote from: SadersofthelostArc on February 16, 2013, 07:27:42 PM

Dority has a lot of skill but he is impatient and forces things a bit too much.   Needs to keep under control on the drive so he can do something with it.   I think a couple times i saw Bryce "coaching" him...   Dority is a good player - just seems like he drives and heaves it up or hopes for a foul.

I don't disagree with this assessment.  I disagree with the absurd notion that Dority has "brought us down" or is "not good at anything."

ValpoHoops

Frustrated for sure with that. Felt that with 10 minutes left we went into "play not to lose" mode instead of putting them away.

However, as the resident voice of reason (well, I'll think of myself that way anyways), we still are alone in first place and still control our own destiny for the title. Have to learn from it and get ready for Tuesday and take out the frustration of tonight and the first loss to Loyola on them then.

Smj

Quote from: SadersofthelostArc on February 16, 2013, 07:50:13 PM
I don't disagree with this assessment.  I disagree with the absurd notion that Dority has "brought us down" or is "not good at anything."
I disagree with that as well....

HERE IS THE INTERESTING THING

Can you believe the parallels in this game to our last win over them....   Come back from a double digit deficit in the second half - after a flagrant foul call.....

valpotx

Losing the 15 point lead from the 9 minute mark to 5 minute mark is definitely something new to see, but it has a lot to do with Bryce's unwillingness to step on the other team's throat when it is still not a blowout.  Don't slow down what we have been doing, keep at it until you get to 20, then maybe you can slow it down. 

I think we will beat Loyola on their turf, as they have been brought back to earth.  We win at home against EKU and YSU, and hopefully, the game at GB won't matter.  If WSU ends up in third, it won't matter what we do against GB, as we will hold the tiebreaker over Detroit in having swept them.  In short, we want WSU to win the rest of their games, and us win the next 2 conference games, to secure the #1 seed.

No need to panic at all, as as long as we win the next 2 conference games, we should still be the champs, as we should be.
"Don't mess with Texas"

HC

Ugh.....

Anyone know why Anderson sat all half? Or why Coleman seems to be in the doghouse?

I really liked how Detroit defended KVW and Ryan. I was hoping that the hot shooting of Matt and Will was going to be enough....too many TOs and they did a good job converting those into points. I'd love to see our guys stop jumping to pass the ball after they drive the lane and have nowhere to go.

side note: it was really nice meeting koala tonight.

2nd side note: could Jr be anymore of a freak show with how he acts on the court?

3rd side note: great turnout by the students. I'm the first to criticize but want to be sure to acknowledge there great turnout and energy.  :thumbsup:

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: HC on February 16, 2013, 08:09:20 PM2nd side note: could Jr be anymore of a freak show with how he acts on the court?

please eluicidate; please enumerate. we (watching on tv) are curious indeed.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

crusader1897

I thought it was embarrassing when we were outscored by Detroit by 20+ pts in the second half of the Horizon League final. Then they went and got outscored by 25 points in the last 9.5 minutes of the game today and lost a 15-point lead in a little more than five minutes. Nothing short of atrocious. Seemed like we were really hurt when Buggs got into foul trouble.

On another note, despite the fact that Valpo was ahead for the entire game before Detroit's run, Bryce Drew managed to use all of Valpo's timeouts with four minutes left in the game. How does that happen? On multiple instances, Bryce called a timeout right before a media timeout. I hope he realizes how poorly he managed his timeouts.

HC

The way it's jumps around beats his chest and taunts the crowd. Lots of players will do it for a second or two, this kid acts like he is possessed or something.  He is jumping around half court while his teammates are just about back to the bench.

I do like Minneraths game...he is a good player

vuweathernerd

Quote from: HC on February 16, 2013, 08:26:24 PM
The way it's jumps around beats his chest and taunts the crowd. Lots of players will do it for a second or two, this kid acts like he is possessed or something.  He is jumping around half court while his teammates are just about back to the bench.

he was pounding on the floor at one point after a made bucket too

HC

What happened with the flagrant, I was watching the shot go through the hoop?