• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

attendance for Valpo games...

Started by vu72, February 19, 2013, 09:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

letsgovu

been worried about this all day but the Chicago area forecast was already downgraded from what it was earlier today and hopefully I can get on the road before the snow is supposed to start here at 3 or 4. 

Not missing this game for the world!

Smj

Bought my tickets and planning to drive from the milwaukee area....   If it is too ugly I will be unable to make the 3 hour trip.   I would be very disappointed...   (However, bad weather on my drive home could make for a VERY long drive home.)

vu84v2

In regards to the main topic of this thread.

I would argue that the main reason why attendance has been down this year is that this team did not build up any local interest from November into mid-January.  There was not a single home game while school was in session against a quality opponent.  As I have ranted about before on this site, this was a major mistake by the program since there are six seniors that people really like.  I would argue that the Detroit turnout was an exception and that the paltry crowd for the EKU game was the norm this season.  Getting the conference tourney would reduce the impact of the poor scheduling...but the team really needs to get to the NCAAs (and at least play well) to build some attendance momentum.

One last comment - it is really shame that these seniors (especially Buggs, Broekhoff and Kenney who have been here for four years) were rewarded with such poor home schedules for their junior and senior season.  It is great that they have all just kept playing hard regardless of where they have been playing.

wh

Quote from: vu84v2 on February 26, 2013, 09:13:43 AM
In regards to the main topic of this thread.

I would argue that the main reason why attendance has been down this year is that this team did not build up any local interest from November into mid-January.  There was not a single home game while school was in session against a quality opponent.  As I have ranted about before on this site, this was a major mistake by the program since there are six seniors that people really like.  I would argue that the Detroit turnout was an exception and that the paltry crowd for the EKU game was the norm this season.  Getting the conference tourney would reduce the impact of the poor scheduling...but the team really needs to get to the NCAAs (and at least play well) to build some attendance momentum.

One last comment - it is really shame that these seniors (especially Buggs, Broekhoff and Kenney who have been here for four years) were rewarded with such poor home schedules for their junior and senior season.  It is great that they have all just kept playing hard regardless of where they have been playing.

These points are well made.  People can make excuses that the league's "last minute" decision to force Butler's hand to leave a year early threw scheduling into a pickle (which it probably did to some extent), the fact remains that the non-conference home schedule did nothing to attract "casual" fans and build momentum for the conference season.  That combined with huge missed opportunities to publicly promote "the returning HL champs with the returning POY" in a major marketing campaign have resulted in the best kept secret in Northwest Indiana. 

valpotx

I would have to think that opposing coaches noticed that we were returning just about our entire team, and would have 6 seniors on the roster.  Unless your team is going to win regardless of who you play, would you have scheduled to play at our place this year?  I bet that the teams we played on the road this year are perfectly fine returning the game next year when we are a majority FR team, which is why it was at their place this year, rather than the other way around.  I am not sure how the BB return games work, but maybe even Loyola Marymount put off the return requirement until next season for the same reason.  They are terrible this year, and we would have won by 30.
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Quote from: vu84v2 on February 26, 2013, 09:13:43 AMI would argue that the main reason why attendance has been down this year

Is that actually true?  I've not seen the aggregate numbers, but attendance hasn't particularly felt _worse_. 

If it is numerically worse, is that still true if you take out the two Butler games at the ARC last year?

a3uge

Quote from: agibson on February 26, 2013, 11:29:59 AM
Quote from: vu84v2 on February 26, 2013, 09:13:43 AMI would argue that the main reason why attendance has been down this year

Is that actually true?  I've not seen the aggregate numbers, but attendance hasn't particularly felt _worse_. 

If it is numerically worse, is that still true if you take out the two Butler games at the ARC last year?

Kind of.

Avg Home Attendance of Every Game
2011-2012: 3,312.74 (3,174.59 sans HL tourney)
2012-2013: 3,042.00

Avg Home Attendance of Conference Games
2011-2012: 3,543.89 (3332.25 sans butler)
2012-2013: 3,751.86

So as of now, it's down technically on average, but given a good night tonight (attendance and a win), avg attendance should be higher than last year, despite not having that one Butler game.

Edit - flobbed up some numbers

valpotx

That's definitely an interesting fact.  Good to see that we are at least making some headway in the community again, even without Butler
"Don't mess with Texas"

vuweathernerd

looks to me like our non-con lack of anything impressive schedule hurts our overall numbers, but last year's championship may have led to some more people showing for conference games. hopefully both numbers trend upwards next year.

wh

Quote from: valpotx on February 26, 2013, 12:01:19 PM
That's definitely an interesting fact.  Good to see that we are at least making some headway in the community again, even without Butler

Tex, you've said it yourself before.  When you were in school students and the community showed up regardless of who we played.  That should be happening now - and more, but it isn't. 

Think about it.  We are the premier team in the HL, we are the defending regular season champions, we have the returning HL POY and another returning 1st teamer, we have numerous transfers from BCS conferences, we are in 1st place in the HL, we already have 20 wins, we are on track to have one of the best W/L records in the history of the program, we have locked in the best recruiting class in the history of the program for next year, last year's runner-up to the top player in IL just transferred in, the best and most popular player in the history of the program is our coach (who was also the best player in the history of the local high school), we have been on national TV numerous times, we have 2 local newspapers that cover our every move, we have free, convenient parking practically across the street, we have dirt cheap concessions compared to our competitors, the conference and competition we play in is by far superior to the one we used to be in, etc., etc., etc.

And yet - we only draw 3000 people?  Are you kidding?  The ARC should be packed every night.  It shouldn't matter whether it's Youngstown State or Ohio State because people should be excited to see US, not our opponent.  The student section should be filled to capacity every game.  "Valpo wear" should be in demand everywhere in the community.  No one should ever have to ask some waiter at BW's or Wings, Etc. to pretty please turn on the VU game. They should be so in tune to when we are playing that it would automatically be on along with food and drink promotions on game night. 

These things should be common place - but they're not.  This is about the best this program is ever going to be and this is what we have to show for it?  This is a colossal Valparaiso University Athletic Department failure.  Put the blame where it belongs.  Bryce Drew assembles one the top Mid Major programs in the United States and they can't sell it to the community or their own students.  I'm sure they have 50 pat excuses; sadly, that's all they'll ever have. 

valpotx

Well, I definitely agree with what you say as well.  I was more speaking to the fact that our conference attendance is up this year, in spite of our rival Butler no longer playing us.  That is at least 1 positive development going for the program.  However, as you mention, we would just about sell out EVERY game back then.  It didn't matter that we didn't care about Southern Utah, Centenary, Kansas City, or even the mighty Cougars of Chicago State, it was a great environment filled with 4k-5k fans.  What will it take to get back to that?? 

I would also say that this is the best overall incoming class of recruits we have ever had, along with Keith Carter.  These are local midwest guys as well.  Nothing against the international guys, as they have been absolutely awesome for our program, but if the community/students can't rally behind local IN/IL kids, what will they rally behind?

I am sure that we will be discussing this next year and the few years after as well, when we should keep on with the winning tradition.  Even though we may struggle at the beginning of next season, I think that our new guys will get it together to have another 20 win season.  Say that we ended up in the top 25 for a few years.  What excuse will the students and community use at that time to not show up? 

Bryce is definitely doing his part in getting top quality prospects, and extends his hand out to the community and students.  I can understand the community if the prices have gone up, but the students?  It is free to attend, and regardless of how many excuses you can come up with, you have a lot more time on your hands than the normal adult who can manage to be what I call a 'true fan.'  If I can go to school full-time, play/practice baseball 20-40 hours per week, maintain a 3.7+ GPA, and still catch every home game (outside of road trips in baseball of course), then so can any of you.
"Don't mess with Texas"

HC

Just got back home to Valpo from Michigan City...it's slick out there. The weather/roads/high school sectional play (unless its cancelled) could definitely hurt attendance tonight.

agibson

Quote from: valpotx on February 26, 2013, 02:43:10 PMI would also say that this is the best overall incoming class of recruits we have ever had

Huh - I'm a little surprised that you guys are _so_ enthusiastic about these guys.  I mean, consensus seems to be it's a pretty solid class, but, best ever?

If memory serves, the scouting agencies seem not to necessarily agree?

wh

Quote from: agibson on February 26, 2013, 03:26:47 PM
Quote from: valpotx on February 26, 2013, 02:43:10 PMI would also say that this is the best overall incoming class of recruits we have ever had

Huh - I'm a little surprised that you guys are _so_ enthusiastic about these guys.  I mean, consensus seems to be it's a pretty solid class, but, best ever?

That's what you took away from my sermon?  ???

vu72

Well, we probably have two Indiana All Stars in Davidson and Yeo, that's a pretty good start.  Peters will be a First Team All Stater in Illinois and Adekoya probably an all Chicago area pick at the least.  Don't know what to say about Lexus Williams as I just don't know.  Add to these guys Keith Carter, a First Team all Stater from Illinois and runner-up for Mr. Basketball, and I'd say, on paper, it's the best.  Other classes have had as much glitch (Miles, Harris et al) but they obviously didn't work out.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

Not sure about scouting agencies, but I am convinced the incoming group of freshmen for next year has the most potential of any overall freshman class Valpo has had—then you add Carter, Chadwick, a healthy Rossi, and the possibility of one more addition to the mix. The only other times in Valpo history I have seen as much excitement about freshmen recruits were with the signings of Kenny Harris and, of course, Bryce.

historyman

Quote from: wh on February 26, 2013, 02:26:56 PM
Quote from: valpotx on February 26, 2013, 12:01:19 PMThat's definitely an interesting fact.  Good to see that we are at least making some headway in the community again, even without Butler
Tex, you've said it yourself before.  When you were in school students and the community showed up regardless of who we played.  That should be happening now - and more, but it isn't. Think about it.  We are the premier team in the HL, we are the defending regular season champions, we have the returning HL POY and another returning 1st teamer, we have numerous transfers from BCS conferences, we are in 1st place in the HL, we already have 20 wins, we are on track to have one of the best W/L records in the history of the program, we have locked in the best recruiting class in the history of the program for next year, last year's runner-up to the top player in IL just transferred in, the best and most popular player in the history of the program is our coach (who was also the best player in the history of the local high school), we have been on national TV numerous times, we have 2 local newspapers that cover our every move, we have free, convenient parking practically across the street, we have dirt cheap concessions compared to our competitors, the conference and competition we play in is by far superior to the one we used to be in, etc., etc., etc. And yet - we only draw 3000 people?  Are you kidding?  The ARC should be packed every night.  It shouldn't matter whether it's Youngstown State or Ohio State because people should be excited to see US, not our opponent.  The student section should be filled to capacity every game.  "Valpo wear" should be in demand everywhere in the community.  No one should ever have to ask some waiter at BW's or Wings, Etc. to pretty please turn on the VU game. They should be so in tune to when we are playing that it would automatically be on along with food and drink promotions on game night. These things should be common place - but they're not.  This is about the best this program is ever going to be and this is what we have to show for it?  This is a colossal Valparaiso University Athletic Department failure.  Put the blame where it belongs.  Bryce Drew assembles one the top Mid Major programs in the United States and they can't sell it to the community or their own students.  I'm sure they have 50 pat excuses; sadly, that's all they'll ever have.

The one thing that is lacking and the difference between Bryce's playing days and his coaching days is that the team has not made the NCAA tournament since 2004. If Valpo can make it to the Big Dance the fans can see their team play for all the marbles. When they finally make the Big Dance the fans will be back.

Now that is something the Athletic Dept should be able to sell.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

talksalot

With Valpo HIGH playing in the Michigan City Sectional tonight ... some of the locals have a difficult decision to make.  The Valparaiso team is favored to win both games...maybe the weather will keep some people in town to hit the ARC

talksalot

speaking of weather... you can check out the webcam on top of the Christopher Center... oh wait...
http://www.valpo.edu/union/webcam.php
maybe we can get someone up on the roof with a squeegie.

ValpoHoops

Quote from: talksalot on February 26, 2013, 04:41:34 PM
With Valpo HIGH playing in the Michigan City Sectional tonight ... some of the locals have a difficult decision to make.  The Valparaiso team is favored to win both games...maybe the weather will keep some people in town to hit the ARC

Sectionals at Michigan City (Portage, Valpo, Chesterton, LaPorte), Kankakee Valley (Andrean, KV, Knox, Calumet), Plymouth (New Prairie, SB St. Joseph), Winamac (North Judson, Winamac, North Newton, Rochester), among others that are outside the region (not that Plymouth really counts...) have already been postponed for the evening.

I wouldn't be shocked to see some others (Kouts, Wheeler, Hammond, Gary West Side) get pushed back this evening as well.

a3uge

valpotx

Yep, I was spoiled during my time.  I was in school starting 1999-2000 and ending 2003-2004. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

truth219

Here at the game.....very poor turnout. Upperdeck has maybe 50 people as well as the student section.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: a3uge on February 26, 2013, 05:53:47 PM

seems like the attendance dropped off when the uh, ten Dance tickets expired.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

sliman

Attendance until the last half dozen years or so was totally estimated by a person facing the chairback seats who felt it was important to recruiting to indicate a big crowd at every game, so we should view attendance figures with suspicion.  No way we were averaging more than 80 percent capacity in those years (nearly 90 percent one year).  Now, if we want to argue that we should be averaging that, it's another story.