• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB - Valpo and Green Bay 3/2 - Game Thread

Started by talksalot, February 27, 2013, 04:47:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walldozer

Quote from: ValpoHoops on February 28, 2013, 12:34:04 PM
Back to the topic...

Sagarin has us a 0.02 point favorite for this one (including the "Home Advantage" for GB).

I will go with Sagrin on this one
Valpo 78
GB 77.98

;D

talksalot

For those of us who will be at the Resch on Saturday... WHEN KVW get's his 5th point... ROAR!  that's #1,000.... he's at 995.

I've been to GB twice for games.  Once in 2010 for the W... and the other for the "Game that is not discussed in polite company" '91-92 season at the old County Coliseum.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu72 on February 28, 2013, 12:29:36 PMthey dropped their guard
bbtds?  did you sign on under a different screen name!?!?

Quote from: talksalot on February 28, 2013, 01:36:53 PMWHEN KVW get's his 5th point... ROAR!  that's #1,000.... he's at 995.
don't do that.  you'll be early.  he has 993.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/51931/kevin-van-wijk
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

ValpoHoops

Kevin had 978 (according to VU game notes, which would be official) into the YSU game as scored 15, gving him 993.

bbtds

Quote from: agibson on February 28, 2013, 11:43:22 AM
Quote from: wh on February 28, 2013, 11:23:28 AMThe home run pass to Erik the other night was the best yet.  The last person YSU thought we would give the ball to on an inbounds play in that situation was Erik.  They looked like a football team that got caught completely off guard on a successful fake punt on 4th down.  The look on the faces of their coaching staff was worth the price of admission all by itself.

Watching the play last time, it occurred to me that it sure helps that Buggs is so darn _fast_.  Even if his defender notices him cutting deep, there's only so much he can do.  I suppose he could just mark him from the deep side?

It was really a shame that this play didn't make the highlights.  I don't know that the cameras caught the assistants warning, or their faces after, but Todd's narration of the play (paraphrasing, "Let's see... is the home run pass going to Buggs or Bogan?") was priceless.

I rewatched it and Erik just simply takes off and uses his speed to beat him. It's really just our unexpected quickness and Rowdy's pinpoint passing that make that play work. They didn't show the reaction of the YSU bench or coaches.

LaPorteAveApostle

i wish i had the ability to download that video, telestrate it, and record a Marv Albert PBP and John Madden color soundtrack.

..."LOOK, great players make GREAT plays!"

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

HC

It was a bonehead defensive strategy to every face guard Erik in that situation.  You want him to catch the ball so you can foul him.  Play behind the guy. Everyone in the gym, except for YSU apparently, knew what play was going to be run (I thought it would be Kenney catching the pass).

VULB#62

Good luck tomorrow Crusaders. 

Bring us back an undisputed title.  If I was back in WI this weekend I wuddah been theah.  And starting later this year WI will be my new home base and I will be at UWGB games as well as at UWM.  But jeeze, I'll miss New England.

wh

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 01, 2013, 09:03:46 PM
Good luck tomorrow Crusaders. 

Bring us back an undisputed title.  If I was back in WI this weekend I wuddah been theah.  And starting later this year WI will be my new home base and I will be at UWGB games as well as at UWM.  But jeeze, I'll miss New England.

Well, I'm up here scouting out the place for you.  Right now we're doing our best impersonation of the Pepe's pre-game workout 2 years ago.  ;)

vuweathernerd

If I was allowed to go more than8 hours away without taking leave, I'd be driving to GB as we speak.

ValpoHoops

Quote from: vuweathernerd on March 01, 2013, 10:32:06 PM
If I was allowed to go more than8 hours away without taking leave, I'd be driving to GB as we speak.

How far can you get on 8 hours? Or, why can't you just drive faster?

vuweathernerd

Quote from: ValpoHoops on March 01, 2013, 11:07:58 PM

i can get to minneapolis or rapid city. those are the outer limits of what leadership considers our 'local area.' anything beyond that, and we have to take leave.

ValpoHoops

Quote from: vuweathernerd on March 02, 2013, 09:00:10 AM

i can get to minneapolis or rapid city. those are the outer limits of what leadership considers our 'local area.' anything beyond that, and we have to take leave.

Eh, just tell them you're going to the Minnesota game and having dinner with friends after. It's only about five more hours to GB from there...isn't that worth it for the team??? :cheers:

vuweathernerd

Quote from: ValpoHoops on March 02, 2013, 09:13:25 AM
Quote from: vuweathernerd on March 02, 2013, 09:00:10 AM

Eh, just tell them you're going to the Minnesota game and having dinner with friends after. It's only about five more hours to GB from there...isn't that worth it for the team??? :cheers:

i have no desire to end up getting bounced out of a perfectly good job and end up in a military brig for going awol. so sadly, work wins out.

valporun

I just checked who is on the call of today's game for ESPNU. Jim Barbour and Bob Valvano...ugh! Nothing against Bob Valvano, but can't stand Jim Barbour. Good thing I have the WAKE app, so I can listen to the call of chef and Aaron Leavitt. At least our radio call isn't, to use Aaron's famous line, "Ho hum"....

Kyle321n

For the non-ESPNU users is there a site that people would be streaming the game?
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

valporun

I saw a link through First Row sports, at firstrow1.eu. Of course, we know why some dislike this site, but it's just one of the ones I pay attention for various sports.

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

vuweathernerd

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 02, 2013, 03:00:16 PM
Any update on Kevin's injury?

from twitter - awkward landing. he'll be fine and will play again today.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valporun on March 02, 2013, 01:33:40 PMI saw a link through First Row sports, at firstrow1.eu.

you did?  i can't find it.

although last time they kept promising one and finally took down the page.  jerx.

RS

CONGRATULATIONS ON HORIZON LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP - Great game by the entire team. Matt and Bobby .... fantastic games. No injuries and great game flow going into tournament.

govalpogo

Well done boys!  Do it again on Saturday!!!  #playloosescoreoften!

valpotx

I REALLY look forward to Bobby next season.  He has been tremendous over pretty much the entire second half of the season, especially compared to his first half.  I think that we don't lose as much as I feared with KVW gone, though we would need Bobby's back-up play picked up by someone else as he will be a starter. 

Tremendous game by the guys the last 30 minutes.  I never had that feeling in my gut that we were going to lose this, even when it was 11-10 or something at the 10 minute mark of the first half.  I don't fear any team in the HL tournament except Detroit, as they seem to be the only team that has the athletes to press us on defense to cause big runs against us.  If Detroit isn't shooting lights out against us, we win, as we are the better overall team.  Yes, I know that we have to win the semi-final against either GB or whoever, but I am very much confident that we will pull this NCAA bid out this time  ;D.

Congrats on the outright title, and let's get the second one!
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

One of the finest games I've ever watched Valpo play. Do you think having wh in attendance had anything to do with it??
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

oklahomamick

We played with two bigs most of the game.  When we see them in the semi finals, I think they will be more accurate at 3pts than they were today.  The next game will be closer.  And it will be a test that our guys will overcome and give us the confidence needed to beat Detroit in finals. 

Even thought last year we beat Butler (again) in the semis......I thought we would ride that momentum and test needed to win in the championship
CRUSADERS!!!