• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

3/12/13, 8pm - ESPN: Wright St. @ Valpo HL Championship Game Thread

Started by valpo04, March 10, 2013, 07:18:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: WSU85 on March 11, 2013, 09:59:13 PMWrong State? Really? I thought Vaalpo fans were more original than that.

that's what the rest of the post is attempting to atone for.

EDIT also:  Vaalpo?  i thought wrong state fans were more intelligent than that.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

agibson

The earliest Vegas lines had Valpo by 9.  That's since slid to about 7.5.

agibson

I think StL mentioned it earlier, but without a link.  Donlon was on the Dan Dakich show earlier today
http://www.1070thefan.com/podcast/Episodes.aspx?PID=2155
Donlon had quite complementary things to say about VU and their chances of making a run in the NCAA.  Did he almost say "_when_ they get to the NCAA"?

(StL did, of course, have the link up on his blog.  http://media.1070thefan.com/Podcasts/2155/031113_BillyDonlon.mp3)

wh

Quote from: agibson on March 11, 2013, 10:42:54 PM
I think StL mentioned it earlier, but without a link.  Donlon was on the Dan Dakich show earlier today
http://www.1070thefan.com/podcast/Episodes.aspx?PID=2155
Donlon had quite complementary things to say about VU and their chances of making a run in the NCAA.  Did he almost say "_when_ they get to the NCAA"?

(StL did, of course, have the link up on his blog.  http://media.1070thefan.com/Podcasts/2155/031113_BillyDonlon.mp3)

One of the more interesting comments came from Dakich: "...Ray McCallum helped destroy IU basketball."  I'm a little surprised (or maybe more than a little surprised) that he would say that on the air.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: wh on March 12, 2013, 02:50:41 AM"...Ray McCallum helped destroy IU basketball." 

well, Tom Crean didn't have a problem blaming Jeff Meyer in public recently either...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

gerb

Hey guys. WSU fan here (oh my god! It's an invasion!). I've got a few things to respond to on here, but I've lost track of what topic is in what thread so I'll just knock 'em all out in one post to start.
1.   You guys have a great board here. I look at all the HL boards from time to time (kudos to the Milwaukee fan who set up the hub) and yours is the most comprehensive / sane
2.   If you want WSU opinions/news/info, check out the Wright State proboards site in addition to RaiderRoundball. It's more active with a broader (and less crotchety) membership than RRB.
3.   WSU fans  - at least all the ones I know – have a ton of respect for Valpo's program. They all also HAAAAATE Detroit.
4.   The "Wrong State" thing is irksome more because it's lazy than offensive. The absolute saddest/funniest version of this is Detroit's "(W)right State Wrong School" chant. This is what uncreative Ohio opponents do since, you know, we're in the same state. When the Titan fans do it, it's the most instant schadenfreude possible.
5.   I can't post any links since I'm a newbie, but  the Dayton Daily News website has a few articles about tonight's game in the Wright State section, including one with some good quotes from Bryce.
6.   Game 1 our best performances came from Darling(out for the year), Arceneaux and Sledge. Game 2 was Pacher and Dixon. Every player who has seen significant court time has been the go to guy at one point or another this season so it's tough for opponents to key in on somebody. The guy who will probably be the biggest x-factor tonight is Jerran Young. Valpo's only seen 19 minutes of him all year, but if he can stay out of foul trouble this time it's going to be a very different game than the first two.
7.   7. That Dakich quote. ...wow.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: gerb on March 12, 2013, 06:45:10 AMThe "Wrong State" thing is irksome

never tell people what bothers you, because then you arm them against yourself.  in a 1000-word post, now 2 people have picked out the same two words.  *sound of fingers tenting Mr.-Burns-style*

plus, nobody hates you, so the least we can do is manufacture some animosity.

other than that, hey, welcome!

gerb

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 12, 2013, 06:51:41 AM
Quote from: gerb on March 12, 2013, 06:45:10 AMThe "Wrong State" thing is irksome
never tell people what bothers you, because then you arm them against yourself.  in a 1000-word post, now 2 people have picked out the same two words.  *sound of fingers tenting Mr.-Burns-style* plus, nobody hates you, so the least we can do is manufacture some animosity. other than that, hey, welcome!
I should rectify that, but since you had to go and quote it...
The "Wrong State" or "wrong school" or whatever thing is water off a duck's back to most fans now. You almost feel bad for people who use that as their trump card in lieu of anything creative.

Regardless, thanks for the welcome. Hoping for a good, non-controversial, injury-free game tonight.

ncatprof

Quote2.   If you want WSU opinions/news/info, check out the Wright State proboards site in addition to RaiderRoundball. It's more active with a broader (and less crotchety) membership than RRB.

Hey -- I don't consider myself crotchety  >:(  ;)

I'll second the notion this is a nice and active board with tolerant fans -- also hoping for a good, clean, injury-free game tonight.  Good luck to all involved -- should be a good one!

LaPorteAveApostle

Amen!  It will be a good game.

Not one Detroit fans consider entertaining, but then again, they find spray-painting our town fun too, so let's not let them be the sole arbiters.

let's hear it for two teams Playing The Game The Right Way.

Smj

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 12, 2013, 07:48:26 AM

let's hear it for two teams Playing The Game The Right Way.

Sorry but I would prefer to see the game played the "Valpo" way.....

vu72

Less than 700 seats available in the upper deck. CC is nearly soldout (17 to go) while EE and AA are pretty open yet.  Still, if a bunch of students show it should be very exciting!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Quote from: WSU85 on March 11, 2013, 09:59:13 PM
Wrong State? Really? I thought Vaalpo fans were more original than that.
Left the State? 

Wleft State?

Print State?

Type State?

Bicycle Brothers Government Owned University?

First Flyers State?

Ohio Wrong /Indiana Correct/Illinois Criminal University?

Wright State to work for minimum wage university?

Gay Wrights State University?

Wright State for a loser University?

Wright as rain State of Flooding University?

LaPorteAveApostle

i knew i could count on bbtds.

water off a duck's back indeed, if that's all they notice!

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Smj on March 12, 2013, 08:13:41 AMSorry but I would prefer to see the game played the "Valpo" way.....

come on, dude, they are understood to be ONE and the SAME! :)

KL31NY

I love posting the following video before big games like this. The quality is pretty bad, but it's an awesome video that always gets me excited. Hope it gets you pumped, too. Go Valpo!

History of Valpo Mens Basketball
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

oklahomamick

ESPN Bracketology was Valpo against Oklahoma State, I like that matchup and for selfish reasons Valpo would be in the Oklahoma media a little more. 

I will not be able to watch the game tonight.  Will ESPN replay at some point??? 
CRUSADERS!!!

agibson

I don't know that a replay is likely, but the archive will doubtless be on ESPN3 online.

Goraiders93

WSU v Butler News Coverage

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rfWPIlhkDKI

This is the type of video that will have me floored all the way up to Valpo today. News cutting in for an interview the final seconds of the 2007 Championship and pandemonium at the Nutt House just as the news clip ends. Many fans will enjoy this feeling tonight as one team and its fans will be heartbroken. Good luck, here's to an injury-free, well played, and well officiated game!!

agibson

Apparently Bryce was on ESPN1000 last night

Chris and Adam ‏@bestof1000 21 hours ago
RT "@davejuday: Fans of the @HorizonLeague, Valpo's Bryce Drew joins @ESPNChiBears & @tweetjhood at 9:15pm on @ESPN1000."
Retweeted by Adam Amin

I don't immediately see an archive, but maybe others can find one.

70zboy

I'm curious to see what kind of defense adjustments Donlon may try tonite. I'm guessing nothing different unless Rowdy gets off to a hot start. Would they leave anyone open a lot like Bruinsma was for Detroit?

Let's get this W. I'd like to add a new NCAA shirt to my collection.  I wore my Sweet 16 shirt Saturday at Valpo (didn't see any others) and I'll wear it again tonite for hopefully good karma.

WSU85

Wow bbtds. Those are all pretty lame.  How about Wright State: the Horizon rep fpr the NCAA tourney.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: WSU85 on March 12, 2013, 04:13:06 PMWright State: the Horizon rep fpr the NCAA tourney.

Fine, as long as you tell us what "fpr" stands for.

And remember to add "in 2007".

bbtds

Quote from: WSU85 on March 12, 2013, 04:13:06 PM
Wow bbtds. Those are all pretty lame.  How about Wright State: the Horizon rep fpr the NCAA tourney.
That would be Wrong State, Wrong Team!