• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2013 Spring Game Assessment

Started by VULB#62, April 20, 2013, 10:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Not being able to attend the Spring Game, I would be interested in any and all comments by those who had a opportunity to see and evaluate the results.

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

historyman

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

Paul Oren begins his article with "Depending on Point of View."  Aptly put. 

The optimist in me says that the big plays mean we have gotten better skilled.   :)

Those same big plays and the pattern that was evident (giving up the ball early on offense and surrendering big offensive gains later on defense) tells the pessimist in me that we will be starting many games in the hole and have to dig ourselves out from under too much -- just like last season.   :(

I kind of understand why the Spring scrimmage uses the format that it does.  Originally, it was because there was not enough depth in the spring to field two teams.  But with 70+ in uniform and each with more skill and strength than back in 2010, you'd think a real game format could be adopted.  It's really very hard to tell if there is improvement looking at a 82-68 result.  I'd rather see #1 O vs. #1 D and #2 O vs. #2 D and game condition scoring.  Just my humble opinion.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 21, 2013, 08:32:47 AMI'd rather see #1 O vs. #1 D and #2 O vs. #2 D and game condition scoring.  Just my humble opinion.
Ditto. I think only coaches prefer anything else.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

VULB#62

This is the VU coverage -- not much different from the Times and PostTrib.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/football/news/2012-13/12654/brown-gold-game-caps-off-spring-practice-for-crusader-football/

In a game setting with the normal ebbs and flows, you'd see a different picture, I'm sure.

And......... it would be really helpful to see the stats, not just a couple of highlights.  For instance, I want to see Hoffman's passing stats including completion percentage (not just that he threw a 65 yd bomb); I want to know who the leading tacklers were; who had the most receptions and for how many yards? 

By comparison:

Here's the JU game (Green 26 White 20 )
http://www.judolphins.com/football/news/263/17613/

Drake (White 7, Blue 3)
http://www.godrakebulldogs.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=15700&ATCLID=207341161

Morehead State (17-7 with stats)
More than 2,000 fans turned out for the contest, which showcased approximately 70 student-athletes.
http://www.msueagles.com/news/2013/4/20/FB_0420134015.aspx

Butler (Blue 20- White 0)
http://butlersports.com/sports/m-footbl/2012-13/releases/20130420x3ipa2

LaPorteAveApostle

VUdad

The early season scrimmages tend to favor the defense because they run against the same plays week after week. However, the LBs/defensive secondary seemed faster yesterday in making mid-play adustments/coverages--a positive direction. On offense, 7 scoring drives took place (5 TDs and 2 FGs). Interestingly, the two freshman QBs ran 5 of the 7 and accumulated the bulk of the passing yards--another potential positive. Several receivers made good grabs whenever the ball was close--chalk up a plus. Hutson looked strong and both kickers hit 35+ FGs into the wind--definitely positives. And the physical size of the recruits who attended was a final reason for optimism.

VULB#62

Thanks Dad.  Your short paragraph told me more than two news paper articles and the VU release.  Thanks again!

willy

I agree with VUdad that the defense looked faster and more athletic.  The defense had seven takeaways which is great! The problem is it was against our offense!  We cannot turn the ball over that easily or we will struggle all year.  With the scoring system they used it is hard to tell if there is improvement.  The offense had a couple of explosive plays, but I'm concerned with our ability to run the ball.  We had several 3rd and 4th and short and failed to convert.  The kickers made every field goal and extra point attempt which I thought was a huge positive as the kicking game cost us two or three victories last year.  All in all I see the glass as half full.  I think the schedule is easier this year so I could see three to four wins.

VULB#62

Speaking of the running game, anybody know why Gabe Ali-El has disappeared?  The one-back system with such a pronounced emphasis on the pass as the ball control mechanism, IMO, is self-limiting and is very predictable.  Hutson is already a targeted man and defenses will key on him as the only running threat.  Because of the heavy emphasis on the pass, Hoffman will not be risked as an option QB to add that other necessary threat.  By comparison, Butler's Lancaster is a threat to run as well as pass and that puts tremendous pressure on the D.  At one point last year at least we had an inside runner, Ryan Lehr, who made tough yardage inside the tackles and took some pressure off of Hutson.

willy

This is a qoute from reigning PFL champion Drake, Coach Creighton.

"I think our defense looked good today and our only turnover of the day came at the very end of the game," Creighton said. "Defense and turnovers win games, so I was happy to see the ball not being turned over and great defense being played."

I hope our defense is much improved over last year.  Because Coach Creighton is right, defense wins championships.

willy

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 23, 2013, 08:45:22 AMSpeaking of the running game, anybody know why Gabe Ali-El has disappeared? The one-back system with such a pronounced emphasis on the pass as the ball control mechanism, IMO, is self-limiting and is very predictable. Hutson is already a targeted man and defenses will key on him as the only running threat. Because of the heavy emphasis on the pass, Hoffman will not be risked as an option QB to add that other necessary threat. By comparison, Butler's Lancaster is a threat to run as well as pass and that puts tremendous pressure on the D. At one point last year at least we had an inside runner, Ryan Lehr, who made tough yardage inside the tackles and took some pressure off of Hutson.
I have heard Ali-El tranferred after some run ins with the coaching staff.  Max Delia also left which leaves only three running backs that were dressed for the spring game.  One is a converted defensive player Hayden Hast who didn't look bad.  I agree the one back sytem is very limiting. 

VULB#62

Help may be on the way based on known signees:

Derrick Estell, Miller, MO,   5-11, 190# RB (4.5 40, 275 BP, 38" VL, 4.0 GPA) http://www.ncsasports.org/football-recruiting/mo/miller/miller-high-school/derrick-estell

Grayson Bastin, Fort Wayne, IN,   5-7, 177#, RB  (Pursued by Indiana State, 4.0 GPA)   http://nationalunderclassmen.ning.com/profile/GraysonBastin

Our list from the signee string has only 17 of the 33 or so signees mentioned in Twitter releases, so there could be another one or two in the group.

Shame about Ali-El.  Agree on defense as a priority.

VULB#62

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 23, 2013, 08:45:22 AM
The one-back system with such a pronounced emphasis on the pass as the ball control mechanism, IMO, is self-limiting and is very predictable.  Hutson is already a targeted man and defenses will key on him as the only running threat.  Because of the heavy emphasis on the pass, Hoffman will not be risked as an option QB to add that other necessary threat.

Another point............  Unless your QB is a flat out outstanding passer (and Hoffman is good, but has not shown he is great.... yet) not complementing the passing attack with a diverse and effective running game makes him a target as well.  I already know what opposing teams will do against Valpo:  DL - ignore run, rush 4 and pressure Hoffman until he can prove he can find receivers under pressure. LBs - rush 1 to confuse QB; anchor 1 for run defense.  Secondary - play nickel and keep everything in front.

A number of posters and IMers indicate that there seems to be lots of beef in the incoming class.  A big, powerful and aggressive OL could change everything.  But if that was the case, wouldn't the Spring be ideal for refining that aspect of the attack in preparation? Just wondering.

vu72

Quote from: willy on April 23, 2013, 09:07:33 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on April 23, 2013, 08:45:22 AMSpeaking of the running game, anybody know why Gabe Ali-El has disappeared? The one-back system with such a pronounced emphasis on the pass as the ball control mechanism, IMO, is self-limiting and is very predictable. Hutson is already a targeted man and defenses will key on him as the only running threat. Because of the heavy emphasis on the pass, Hoffman will not be risked as an option QB to add that other necessary threat. By comparison, Butler's Lancaster is a threat to run as well as pass and that puts tremendous pressure on the D. At one point last year at least we had an inside runner, Ryan Lehr, who made tough yardage inside the tackles and took some pressure off of Hutson.
I have heard Ali-El tranferred after some run ins with the coaching staff.  Max Delia also left which leaves only three running backs that were dressed for the spring game.  One is a converted defensive player Hayden Hast who didn't look bad.  I agree the one back sytem is very limiting. 

One of the papers said Gabe was an academic casualty.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

VUdad

Another point............  Unless your QB is a flat out outstanding passer (and Hoffman is good, but has not shown he is great.... yet) not complementing the passing attack with a diverse and effective running game makes him a target as well.  I already know what opposing teams will do against Valpo:  DL - ignore run, rush 4 and pressure Hoffman until he can prove he can find receivers under pressure. LBs - rush 1 to confuse QB; anchor 1 for run defense.  Secondary - play nickel and keep everything in front.

The running game will open up real well if the passing game hits down field targets rather than cross field tosses. Defenses tend to put up a broad wall against us, typically with sagging man coverage on the receivers and a box full of linebackers. Why? Because the wide toss to the side is an easy tackle and yields 1-2 yards (positive or negative); no need for zone or double coverages. When a QB hits a man downfield, though, the defense will shift. On Saturday, Hutson had a flare route that yielded a TD only after several mid-route completions. Many of the short wide completions netted a yard or two. If we hit the mid-routes this year, the run will open up, the LBs will have to worry, and the ball will move downfield. And the stands will fill, too. 

usc4valpo

Quote from: VUdad on April 23, 2013, 02:49:36 PMAnother point............ Unless your QB is a flat out outstanding passer (and Hoffman is good, but has not shown he is great.... yet) not complementing the passing attack with a diverse and effective running game makes him a target as well. I already know what opposing teams will do against Valpo: DL - ignore run, rush 4 and pressure Hoffman until he can prove he can find receivers under pressure. LBs - rush 1 to confuse QB; anchor 1 for run defense. Secondary - play nickel and keep everything in front. The running game will open up real well if the passing game hits down field targets rather than cross field tosses. Defenses tend to put up a broad wall against us, typically with sagging man coverage on the receivers and a box full of linebackers. Why? Because the wide toss to the side is an easy tackle and yields 1-2 yards (positive or negative); no need for zone or double coverages. When a QB hits a man downfield, though, the defense will shift. On Saturday, Hutson had a flare route that yielded a TD only after several mid-route completions. Many of the short wide completions netted a yard or two. If we hit the mid-routes this year, the run will open up, the LBs will have to worry, and the ball will move downfield. And the stands will fill, too.
I guess I have an ant-Chicago Cub optimisitic attitude.  It is always make conclusions from a spring practice.  This is going to be an interesting year, and hopefully without any 70-20 blowouts to Morehead State.

VULB#62

Quote from: VUdad on April 23, 2013, 02:49:36 PM

The running game will open up real well if the passing game hits down field targets rather than cross field tosses. Defenses tend to put up a broad wall against us, typically with sagging man coverage on the receivers and a box full of linebackers. Why? Because the wide toss to the side is an easy tackle and yields 1-2 yards (positive or negative); no need for zone or double coverages. When a QB hits a man downfield, though, the defense will shift. On Saturday, Hutson had a flare route that yielded a TD only after several mid-route completions. Many of the short wide completions netted a yard or two. If we hit the mid-routes this year, the run will open up, the LBs will have to worry, and the ball will move downfield. And the stands will fill, too.

My point exactly, Dad.  That's a lot to put on the shoulders of one pretty good kid, but one who still is not an Andrew Luck or even a Matt Lancaster.  And mid to deep route completions require time and greater accuracy than the short, quick stuff.  So far we are consistently better at the latter.  That's why I hope the maturing OL and the class of '13 beef can buy some more time for Eric.  It's a chicken/egg thing.  Coach Carlson over 3 years has gone with controlling the ball with short passes and changing up with an occasional run.  The opposite school says establish the run (or at least make opponents respect the threat of the run) so that the pass can be effective.  In the former, the passing game has got to click or it's a 3 and out and the defense must come up with an unfair amount of stops.  As far as the latter is concerned, I'm hoping the O will incorporate more running 1) to complement the passing game and 2) run the clock down to compress the game more so that the D can do their job in a more realistic time frame without eventually getting overrun.  All of these, of course, are hopes unfortunately.

valpopal

I heard today that Valpo has hired a new QB coach named Kenton Evans (a former Memphis Tigers QB), but unless I missed it, I haven't seen anything here. Anybody know details?

VULB#62

Mercer had 4,000 at their spring game.  A conventional game setting was employed.  Neither the black nor the white offense scored a TD.

http://www.mercerbears.com/sports/fball/2012-13/releases/201304135o2lv7

We play @ Mercer on October 12th.

usc4valpo

Wow, it seems like Mercer really has it going well setting up thie football program.  Enthusiasm, a beautiful new stadium, a good set of recruits, community involvement.  That being said, do you think beating Mercer in its first year is going to be a gimme?  I don't think so. 4000 at their spring game - that is inmpressive, but it is also a novelty there.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 27, 2013, 06:21:51 AMNeither the black nor the white offense scored a TD.
and they say affirmative action hasn't leveled the playing field

willy

Quote from: valpopal on April 26, 2013, 10:59:29 PMI heard today that Valpo has hired a new QB coach named Kenton Evans (a former Memphis Tigers QB), but unless I missed it, I haven't seen anything here. Anybody know details?
I hope this is true. Valpo could use a dedicated QB coach to work with our quaterbacks who are all young (three freshman).  Five interceptions in the spring game will get us killed during the regular season.  Hopefully he can help with that.