• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Coach Woodson Considered by Kent State

Started by valpopal, June 14, 2013, 12:52:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

According to a report by Sean Ryan at College Baseball Insider, Kent State is considering Coach Woodson for its opening at head coach. "Hearing Valpo head coach Tracy Woodson is in mix at Kent State. Has taken Crusaders to NCAA tourney past two years." Others under consideration are Texas Assistant Coach Andy Sawyers and Purdue Associate Head Coach Jeff Duncan.

ARCInsider

Kent State has made a couple of deep runs in the tourney over the last three years...if Coach Woodson were offered the job, it would be tough to pass up.

valporun

Did the coach at Kent State get fired, or did he apply for a better school? I mean this is the Kent State team that was in the CWS last year. Would KSU really dump a coach a year after a run like that, even if this season a rebuild/reload season?

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Valposter

Head Coach Scott Stricklin has recently left Kent State and accepted the head coaching job of the Georgia Bulldogs in the SEC.  Associate Head Coach and Pitching Coach Mike Birkbeck is remaining at Kent State in the same capacity.  He was voted the national Assistant Coach of the Year in 2012 when Kent State went to CWS.  He turned down the head coaching job at Kent State when Stricklin recently left and also declined to follow Stricklin to Georgia as well.  He currently has a son pitching at Kent State and is very tied to the community and is very happy in his current capacity. The other Assistant Coach, Scott Daeley, is following Stricklin to Georgia.  Kent State has a good roster but has lost some talent the last couple of years due to graduation and the draft.  A very, very good mid-major program in a mid-major conference located in the north.  Not a huge jump above Valpo. 

Although Kent State is a very good baseball program, I'm not sure it's a big enough jump to entice Coach Woodson and his family to break their many ties with Valpo unless the money makes it happen.  I hope Valpo is able to retain Coach Woodson until his dream job (or at least a national power southern destination job) becomes a viable opportunity for him.  I would hate to lose Coach Woodson to another northern mid-major baseball program, no matter how good that baseball program may be.
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

Valposter

I have also heard a rumor (speculation on one of the college baseball blogs) that Rob Cooper of Wright State is also a candidate for the Kent State job.  I have not been able to confirm and I don't know if that is true. 
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

Valpo2008

Again his record is 187- 210.  Kent State would be a big step up, mid major or not.  They have been a baseball powerhouse for the last 7 or 8 years.  Rob Cooper (WSU) would be a stronger candidate for the job. He has record of 286-230.  It also helps that he has been recruiting in Ohio and was just named the 2013 18U National Team Manager.  If you look at previous managers that is a big honor.  Tracy has had some success at Valpo, but he is going to need to keep showing it in order to be promoted to program like Kent State/ NC State.  Maybe after one or two more years like the last couple he might have a shot.  The key is to keep going the right direction. Hopefully they will keep recruiting and developing the right players, and maintain the current coaching staff (which is the hardest part).  It is clear if you look at the recent success (2011-2013) that this particular group of coaches do something different that leads to success even against the bigger schools.

jetz

Stricklin signed a contract worth about $300K per year after last year's CWS appearance, I believe.  No matter where it is or what the circumstances, a Valpo coach in any sport would have to consider that kind of cash when offered the job.   
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

LaPorteAveApostle

For sure, but he wouldn't be making that anyway.

Yet.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpopal

Woodson reportedly is one of the three finalists interviewed by Kent State, but he also is under consideration by Richmond.

valpotx

Sounds like he is taking a much more aggressive approach to finding a home elsewhere this summer.  You really can't fault him too much, as he has turned around an underperforming program, and probably wants a shot at a larger/better program
"Don't mess with Texas"

vubballfan

I'm not sure aggressive is the right term....perhaps, "listening" is the better term. From my understanding, Kent was the one to inquire about/pursue Coach Woodson first. And Richmond may be doing the same. I think we would hear his name in the mix for the Iowa job, Penn State, etc. if he were aggressively going after jobs and doing the pursuing this summer.

ARCInsider

Quote from: vubballfan on June 24, 2013, 07:57:09 AM
I'm not sure aggressive is the right term....perhaps, "listening" is the better term. From my understanding, Kent was the one to inquire about/pursue Coach Woodson first. And Richmond may be doing the same. I think we would hear his name in the mix for the Iowa job, Penn State, etc. if he were aggressively going after jobs and doing the pursuing this summer.

Iowa and Penn State qualify as larger programs, but certainly not better programs.

valpopal

Kent State expected to name Duncan of Purdue as their next head coach.

valpotx

It will be a fun few months until the next school year.  I am sure that Woodson is going to be approached for interviews by several schools
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Woodson is one of the finalists for head coach at Richmond and considered the leading candidate by some. He will be interviewing on Wednesday.

valpotx

Only a matter of time unfortunately before he left us.  I had hoped it would be in a few seasons, but I guess now is better than any to be able to get a decent coach to replace him, coming off 2 NCAA tourneys!
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

After much thought, Richmond actually seems like a step back in competition for Woodson.  It is a similar-sized school in student population, hasn't been to the NCAA tourney since 2003, and the A-10 traditionally has one representative in the NCAA tournament for baseball as well.  He would have a 1/12 chance of making the tourney in 2013-2014, and probably a 1/11 chance in 2014-2015/beyond (SLU and Dayton probably going to Big East, Davidson joining A-10).  In the HL, unless we expand, he will have a 1/6 chance of making the tourney, with a program that is becoming top dog in the conference. 

The biggest selling points for Richmond are that it is apparently where he grew up, and they have an endowment of $1.67B!!  That means they can probably invest more money into his program and salary than Valpo can.  Hopefully it will be a very hard decision for Coach to leave our program, as he has been fantastic for us.  Obviously, I am not making the decision for him, but if he is looking for a competitive program on a national level, he has already built that at Valpo.  We have beaten top teams over the last few years, which shows that it can be done consistently at VU.  If he is looking to go home and build another team to conference prominence, than Richmond will be it.
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpotx on July 12, 2013, 02:21:57 AMAfter much thought, Richmond actually seems like a step back in competition for Woodson.

I was thinking the same thing.  Thanks for making the case (as well as that for the opposite side...well maybe not SO much for that : )

talksalot

Tracy's wife (and her sister) have some roots in the Richmond area.  Remember the Diefenthaler twins?  Waynesboro High School.... just up the road a piece from Richmond. 

valpotx

Looking at Richmond's schedule and results over the last 5 seasons, they do not challenge themselves at all!  The only reason they ended up above .500 in a couple of seasons, is because they played terrible teams both within and outside of conference.  It seems like they avoid top teams on purpose each season (no West coast or Southern teams that are solid).  They are in VA, you would think that they would challenge themselves!

We even beat them in 2009-2010 in FL 9-1.  If Woodson leaves for the Spiders, I imagine that the schedule will be one of the first things that he changes, as he did when he came to Valpo.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Valpo2008

While I do not think he will leave- the question is who will replace him?

bbtds

Quote from: Valpo2008 on July 13, 2013, 08:09:15 PM
While I do not think he will leave- the question is who will replace him?

I've heard through the grapevine that the AD has a lot of confidence in asst baseball coach, Brian Schmack. I would think that Schmack would be at least considered for the job.

covufan

Quote from: talksalot on July 12, 2013, 03:05:38 PM
Tracy's wife (and her sister) have some roots in the Richmond area.  Remember the Diefenthaler twins?  Waynesboro High School.... just up the road a piece from Richmond. 
An article from a few years ago:

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/columnists/jim-hunsley/twins-reunite-on-valpo-girls-coaching-staff/article_55f9e567-43ae-58a9-b0ec-6d9c38c7d5c3.html

Valpo2008

Quote from: bbtds on July 13, 2013, 11:24:40 PM
Quote from: Valpo2008 on July 13, 2013, 08:09:15 PMWhile I do not think he will leave- the question is who will replace him?
I've heard through the grapevine that the AD has a lot of confidence in asst baseball coach, Brian Schmack. I would think that Schmack would be at least considered for the job.

That would be a good choice.