• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Opponents' Schedule & Results 2013-14

Started by bbtds, October 28, 2013, 07:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklahomamick

I didn't get to catch the game, but saw the result of YSU vs. Oakland.  It was an Oakland victory with a couple seconds left.  Did they storm the court? 
CRUSADERS!!!

historyman

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 01, 2014, 02:22:17 PMI didn't get to catch the game, but saw the result of YSU vs. Oakland.  It was an Oakland victory with a couple seconds left.  Did they storm the court?
It's in the replay section of ESPN 3 now. After the refs gave Perry a fortunate foul call and he made 2 FT's, Felder, a freshman, was fouled 4 seconds later and the kid stepped up and, like Perry, made a tying and go ahead FT to win it for the Grizzlies. YSU got off a 3/4 court Hail Mary shot that hit the rim but was no where near close to going in.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

wh

Just tuned in the Oakland-Cleveland State game on the HLN.  Why is Oakland in dark uniforms?  You can barely tell the 2 teams apart.

wh

Bader has 6 3's and 20 pts. at half, CSU leads by 7.

wh

Barber's and Kaplan's picks for HL 1st Team at the half way point:

Forbes CSU
Dority Valpo
Sykes GB
Bader Oakland
Perry YSU

a3uge

Quote from: wh on February 06, 2014, 09:00:18 PM
Barber's and Kaplan's picks for HL 1st Team at the half way point:

Forbes CSU
Dority Valpo
Sykes GB
Bader Oakland
Perry YSU

Bader over Brown? Questionable.

HC

Seems like a solid list to me, going to be pretty hard for a guy on a winless team to make the first team squad.

classof2014

I'm guessing it'll be Brown over Bader and Bader will be on the second team. Bader is very one dimensional, all he does is shoot threes, when he's on he's gonna have a great game, like tonight going 10-13 from 3, for 35 points. But many times he's off and has a 5-17 shooting performance for 15 points. While Brown can shoot, post up, rebound, and block. If one part of Brown's game isn't there he has some other way to contribute, while when the 3 doesn't fall for Bader he really doesn't do anything else special.

I know I was hard on Brown earlier this season but he really has lived up to the hype this season. So bravo to him and hope he makes on the first team because he deserves it.

a3uge

Quote from: classof2014 on February 06, 2014, 09:17:17 PM
I'm guessing it'll be Brown over Bader and Bader will be on the second team. Bader is very one dimensional, all he does is shoot threes, when he's on he's gonna have a great game, like tonight going 10-13 from 3, for 35 points. But many times he's off and has a 5-17 shooting performance for 15 points. While Brown can shoot, post up, rebound, and block. If one part of Brown's game isn't there he has some other way to contribute, while when the 3 doesn't fall for Bader he really doesn't do anything else special.

I know I was hard on Brown earlier this season but he really has lived up to the hype this season. So bravo to him and hope he makes on the first team because he deserves it.

I think Brown is having a better year than Forbes. I'd say Forbes is the last 1st teamer and Bader is the first 2nd teamer. The "Bader 1st Team" seems rather reactionary after tonight. But we don't really have to argue this until the end of the year. Plenty of games left.

Also Murray State is playing Belmont on ESPNU and you all need to be watching this.

valpo84

It would be nice for CSU to lose one of the two games this weekend....@WSU Saturday.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpo84 on February 07, 2014, 08:26:26 AMIt would be nice for CSU to lose one of the two games this weekend....@WSU Saturday.
exactly what i'm thinking.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpo64

Bader a 1st teamer????????    You've got to be kidding...emotional over load here for a few people.......he is a pretty good one-dimensional guy.  When you shoot basically only three-pointers for your career, even at 38% you are bound to make a lot of them.

oklahomamick

1st team
Sykes
Dority
Brown
Perry
Bader

2nd team
Forbes
Howard
Petros
Barlow
Darling

Defensive team
Mondy
Brown
Fernandez
Fouse
Perry

Newcomer team
Felder
Barlow
Williams
Lowe
Peters
* Maybe Adekoya instead of Lowe??? 
CRUSADERS!!!

wh

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 07, 2014, 12:36:31 PM
1st team
Sykes
Dority
Brown
Perry
Bader

2nd team
Forbes
Howard
Petros
Barlow
Darling

Defensive team
Mondy
Brown
Fernandez
Fouse
Perry

Newcomer team
Felder
Barlow
Williams
Lowe
Peters
* Maybe Adekoya instead of Lowe??? 

The one name I would take exception with being on either team is Darling. He is averaging less than 9 PPG and only plays about 20 minutes. Injuries have really taken their toll.  He did, however, have 20 points in their last game.  Maybe he can work his way back into consideration if he can stay healthy.

oklahomamick

Yes, I was just trying to find someone on WSU....Who would you put in place?  And I know some won't agree with Bader on 1st team. 
CRUSADERS!!!

wh

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 07, 2014, 01:42:54 PM
Yes, I was just trying to find someone on WSU....Who would you put in place?  And I know some won't agree with Bader on 1st team. 

Off the top of my head, I'd probably go with Tiby.  He's been somewhat inconsistent, but overall he's been a really good addition for Milwaukee.

valpotx

Wow, Milwaukee beats GB at GB, and CSU holds on late at WSU.  We really could have used that W last night, as if it still would have played out this way today, we would actually have had a chance for 1st by end of season...
"Don't mess with Texas"

classof2014

With the loss by GB we still have an outside shot at the regular season title. If we win out we get 2nd and if we win and one other loss by GB we get the regular season title.

Am I saying it's gonna happen this way? NO

This is a possibility and as a fan of Valpo basketball I still have some hope that we can run the table and win the league as well as the tournament, although the tournament is more likely than winning the league at this point. Like I said we need the double by. Winning 2 in a row is much easier than 3 or 4 in a row.

Does seem like road teams have the edge so far this weekend. Doesn't bode well for us tomorrow, if we lose that one our chances of finishing first is just about .2% and finishing in 2nd is much lower than right now.

HC

CSU is he best team in the league right now. The double bye is big, but I'd say just about any team outside UIC and Oakland (don't play defense) could pull off 3 in a row and win the title.

a3uge

CSU shouldn't have won. Wright State got screwed at the end - Late down 2, Grady threw up an ugly 3 before double dribbling and the refs called a shooting foul. Grady hit all 3 free throws.

classof2014

Quote from: a3uge on February 08, 2014, 05:49:46 PM
CSU shouldn't have won. Wright State got screwed at the end - Late down 2, Grady threw up an ugly 3 before double dribbling and the refs called a shooting foul. Grady hit all 3 free throws.

It was Charlie Lee I believe.

oklahomamick

A poster on the Horizon League forum posted his newcommer team. 

All Newcomer Team:Kahlil Felder, Oakland
Matt Tiby, Milwaukee
Kelsey Barlow, UIC
Trey Lewis, Cleveland State
Jon Harris, Cleveland State

Read more: http://horizonleaguefans.freeforums.net/thread/580/conference-awards#ixzz2tJ7Oydcb

In my opinoin I think he left some Crusaders out. 
CRUSADERS!!!

classof2014

Guess somebody is jealous. Both Lexus and Alec are locks in my opinion, while Jubril has a shot if he finishes really strong. The only one I truly agree with is Felder, Tiby should be a first or second teamer, he's a big reason why Milwaukee has been such a surprise. Barlow shouldn't get anything, he's a senior on a terrible team and he's okay.

valpotx

There is absolutely 0% chance that we put 3 on the all-newcomer team.  It's laughable that one poster thinks that 3 Oakland players will make second team, with the second worst record in conference...
"Don't mess with Texas"

oklahomamick

I agree with both of you, but thought I might be biased.  I think Peters and Williams should make.  Jubril's impact is huge but his numbers aren't near Matt Tiby, Kelsey Barlow, Trey Lewis, Jon Harris.  To be honest, even Peters and William's number are a little lower than the players mentioned above. 

CRUSADERS!!!