• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Carlson Relieved of Duties as Head Coach

Started by KL31NY, November 10, 2013, 05:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vufan75

Quote from: bbtds on November 11, 2013, 12:48:39 PMAfter Valpo's selection committee finds the candidate that fills all these requirements what are they going to pay him? Valpo still needs the people in control to come up with the money to reward a coach with these qualities. If not, whoever has these qualities will most likely scoff at the salary and assurances of the backing of the administration. Unless the new coach gets a greater commitment from the board of directors Valpo will end up with another Dale Carlson. 

Have to agree with bbtds on this. Without a real commitment in terms of compensation AND football facility improvements, I'm afraid the next coach could struggle as have the last several. Under ML the dollars going to football must have increased, just looking at the locations that have been recruited around the country. But our facility is woefully lacking when compared to most of our PFL competition. Hopefully that will change as the athletic dept. strategic plan is implemented. No change by itself will lead to wins, but better facilities can help to create a culture where football is seen to be important by potential recruits and their families, and that can also benefit the program in terms of changing the atmosphere, culture and expectations for football for the better. We need a coach who has a solid track record of success in his field, be it as a coordinator or a current or even former head coach. The next coach hopefully also can figure out how to adapt his game plans to the personnel he has available. He needs to recruit the heck out of the midwest. If that strategy works for Drake, Butler, etc., no reason it won't work for Valpo. Hopefully the next coach also will bring with him a sense of urgency to win. It would be nice to see some immediate success in terms of W's, to give players and fans something to look forward to. 

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on November 11, 2013, 01:09:48 PM
Quote from: bbtds on November 11, 2013, 12:48:39 PM
Quote from: covufan on November 11, 2013, 11:48:13 AM
The new coach will need to be hungry, have great organizational skills, a great evaluator of football talent - both on the field and coaches, and be able to adapt with the talent on hand.  We need to reach out to successful coaches who have moved up in the ranks such as Harbaugh and Lembo, not only to find out what is needed for the overall program to be successful, but to get a list of names they feel would be qualified and ready to take on such a challenge as Valpo. 

After Valpo's selection committee finds the candidate that fills all these requirements what are they going to pay him?

Valpo still needs the people in control to come up with the money to reward a coach with these qualities. If not, whoever has these qualities will most likely scoff at the salary and assurances of the backing of the administration. Unless the new coach gets a greater committment from the board of directors Valpo will end up with another Dale Carlson. 

You may be right but what are your sources?  I have no idea what our coaches are paid and whether or not they are competitive with peer institutions.

All I can rely on is what the Strategic Plan says:

Strategy 6.F: Compensate coaches/staff at or above the median level of compensation among
peer institutions.

No sources. I can't fathom that Valpo was paying Carlson what a Harbaugh should have been paid (if he was paid well at USD, he might have been depending on his savings from his NFL salary, something like what we feel Powell and Bryce are doing) or a name football coach with a solid reputation should be paid. Valpo is asking this next head coach to resurrect maybe the greatest reclamation project in the history of Div.I football. If Valpo doesn't come up with the salary maybe the guy will have his own resources from a previous pro career and a love for Valpo. If you want football to succeed give the student/players, parents, alumni, available coaches a sign that a huge commitment is going to be made. We need the same commitment to the football program that was made to the men's basketball program when Bryce was kept around by bumping his salary whether it's a Div. I non-scholarship football program, a Div. I scholarship football program or a Big Six football program. Letting Carlson go in the middle of a season was a sign. A better sign would be paying the next head coach what he deserves to resurrect one of the biggest failures in Div. I football. Keep the signs of commitment to football coming.   

LaPorteAveApostle

MARK MANGINO.

he made KANSAS football a relevant national power again...remember?

after THE INCIDENT he's coaching TEs at YSU.

so. 

AVAILABLE
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

milanmiracle

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 11, 2013, 03:52:23 PM
MARK MANGINO.

he made KANSAS football a relevant national power again...remember?

after THE INCIDENT he's coaching TEs at YSU.

so. 

AVAILABLE

While I would be in favor of this hire, I actually don't think he'd leave for Valpo. Would he leave? Absolutely. For Valpo, um...unlikely.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

milanmiracle

And the Joel Osteen, Dale Carlson era is over! I wish him the best of luck in his next career as a motivational speaker.

Mostly I am happy for the kids, who deserved MUCH better than this. I didn't like how he threw the senior class under the bus by not allowing them to be competitive all in the name of the "system". I could say many things about this staff, but in the end the best thing to do is put this behind us and move on.

"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: milanmiracle on November 11, 2013, 04:31:14 PMFor Valpo, um...unlikely.
Possibly (probably) true, but then again, would you ever have thought he'd have been interested in COACHING TIGHT ENDS in the fcs?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

Or maybe Alex #$%ing English.

Let's face it...we are damaged goods, albeit with a successful past.  Let's find someone who's the same.

DOUBLE REDEMPTION.

Lowered Expectations

Lurking Dog

MARK MANGINO.

Below is a link to a recent article on a (somewhat slimmer) Mark Mangino.  A few things about him:  1)he makes more than you've been paying the head coach...that's just something in which I'm very confident. 2)he really likes Youngstown, Ohio.  3)Although he's toned down some of his aggressive antics, he's way more "in your face" than any coach you've likely ever had.

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/11/09/4609966/three-years-after-ku-mark-mangino.html

There's also a Valpo thread on the PFL board:
http://www.pflfan.proboards.com/thread/2162/dale-carlson

Good luck in your search.

jetz

Gerry Faust will take the job right now.  Holtz can be his part time assistant.
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

LaPorteAveApostle

Or "jerry fouts" as I saw him called earlier today.

no, i don't expect Mangino would be that interested, nor English, nor Carl Pelini, or Larry Eustachy, or Earle Bruce.  If you've been Lurking long you'll know I'm rarely serious.

Well, since our previous head coach went to the HS ranks, why not get one FROM the HS ranks?  Kirk Kennedy doesn't really have a college offense, per se, but then again, we don't really at the moment either.  And you can make it work easily. 

Maybe we could lure Mark Hoffman outta retirement.

Lurking Dog

I knew you weren't terribly serious.  But it's a good idea.  If San Diego can get Harbaugh...

VULB#62

Quote from: Lurking Dog on November 11, 2013, 06:48:33 PM
MARK MANGINO.

Below is a link to a recent article on a (somewhat slimmer) Mark Mangino.  A few things about him:  1)he makes more than you've been paying the head coach...that's just something in which I'm very confident. 2)he really likes Youngstown, Ohio.  3)Although he's toned down some of his aggressive antics, he's way more "in your face" than any coach you've likely ever had.

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/11/09/4609966/three-years-after-ku-mark-mangino.html

There's also a Valpo thread on the PFL board:
http://www.pflfan.proboards.com/thread/2162/dale-carlson

Good luck in your search.

LurkingDog, you made a GREAT point.  Check Ivy or Patriot OCs and DCs.  They recruit top level students to play in a non-scholarship setting.  Yes, I know the Patriot is transitioning to scholarship, but the the mindset an techiques are there. 

IndyValpo

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 11, 2013, 05:21:57 PM
Or maybe Alex #$%ing English.

Certainly Alex English was a fantasic player in the NBA for years but I am not sure how he would translate on the football field!!

Good "outside the box" thinking, however!!

LaPorteAveApostle

RON English good catch.  worse because I got it right before.

i must have been thinking of this from my youth:

LaPorteAveApostle

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 12, 2013, 12:37:06 PM
I found this to be the most compelling research/journalism writing by Paul Oren yet, on the situation, and hadn't seen it posted here yet.

http://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/valparaiso-university/reaction-and-impact-to-dale-carlson-s-firing/article_d0ec9d7a-4aa5-11e3-97f5-0019bb2963f4.html
Very good story Paul! Great investigative work in our modern times.

No mention of this board!!?? I'm confused about that. Are we that irrelevant?

usc4valpo

Quote from: bbtds on November 12, 2013, 04:43:48 PM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 12, 2013, 12:37:06 PMI found this to be the most compelling research/journalism writing by Paul Oren yet, on the situation, and hadn't seen it posted here yet. http://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/valparaiso-university/reaction-and-impact-to-dale-carlson-s-firing/article_d0ec9d7a-4aa5-11e3-97f5-0019bb2963f4.html
Very good story Paul! Great investigative work in our modern times. No mention of this board!!?? I'm confused about that. Are we that irrelevant?
With absolutely no intention of dissing this outstanding message board, do you believe we had inflluence on MLB's decision to relieve Carlson of his duties?  Also, are there other  Valpo message boards (I doubt better)?

usc4valpo

I was looking at the "relieved of duties" headline, and then I was thinking about the movie "Wreck It Ralph"...

Vanellope von Schweetz: I bet you really gonna watch where you step in a game called Hero's duty[Vanellope Laughs] What's you win a medal for, wiping? I hope you washed your hands after you handled that medal.
Wreck-It Ralph: Listen, I'm gonna!
Vanellope von Schweetz: Hang on, hang on, why did the hero flushed the toilet?... say why.
Wreck-It Ralph: why.
Vanellope von Schweetz: Because it was his duty!
Wreck-It Ralph: How dare you insult Hero's Duty you little gar snipe! I earned that medal! you better give it back to me two tweet sister!

Swarm94

Look back to the early 90's. program had won two games in four years. It then won 3 then 5 then 7 games in the first season in the Pioneer Football League. They succeeded in recruiting Chicago. Browser, Ozzie Lee Young, Shayne Snider, John Palyok, Ronnie Sazone to name just a few.  Add in the Players recruited from Texas, Georgia, Wisconsin and California.  The National Lutheran University because of the geographical reach of the Pioneer Football League can rise quickly.  Must have an excellent staff and the recruiting budget to make it happen.
Must Alums reinvested in the program.  Had Homecoming West in '94 at San Diego game.  Have similar events at various game locations. 
Facilities. Formulate a plan. Create drawings.  Can sell on what is coming

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

This article by Mike Hutton in the Gary PostTrib pretty much says it all and illustrates our discussion in the past 2 years...

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/23803110-556/hutton-valparaiso-must-find-right-coach-this-time.html

usc4valpo

72, congrats for being ahead of me by one minute on this!!!

Getting a new coach will not solve all problems here...Carlson contributed to the failure of the program but there was more to this.

chef

A typical Hutton story....very little homework about a subject he doesn't know. Thus, leading to some inaccuracies. Starting with the statement that the media wasn't informed. The media received a press release on the Carlson firing. Hutton, I assume did not receive the release because he hasn't ever covered a Valpo football game. I think Mark Laberbera's record of hiring coaches speaks for itself. Bryce Drew and Dale Carlson are not the only coaches hired over the past decade. Was Carlson a mis-step, sure. However, his resume showed he had been the NAIA national coach of the year. Did Hutton criticize the hire when it happened? I don't recall that article. Pretty easy to take a shot now. What's wrong with the football building and offices?? This is not a BIG10 school. Has Mike ever seen the football building? I have faith that Mark will find the right guy, and don't have faith in Hutton doing any homework for the next story he writes.

setshot

I liked the Hutton article. I hope he continues to stir the pot adding different ingredients as needed. Thanks Mike :thumbsup:

bbtds

"We must not sacrifice our courage, our boldness, to settle for what is safe or what we can manage reasonably--that is, quite simply, to surrender to the 'tyranny of the possible.' "

--President Mark A. Heckler

In this case it's obvious Valpo is not even managing reasonably but are we also only looking for what can be managed reasonably?

Hutton may not know all the facts and may be throwing out his musings but is he at least shaking things up enough so that Valpo doesn't stay mired in it's current condition? Are some of us part of keeping the current condition going and does too much change scare us?