• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo @ Cleveland State, Sat 1/25, 2 PM ET tip

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, January 23, 2014, 08:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

Quote from: valpotx on January 27, 2014, 01:20:00 PM
No one is being serious that just because we have beaten them 4 times in a row, that we are now the better team.  All of us just like to revel in the fact that from now until the end of time, we get to say that we have beaten them 4 times in a row (since they won't ever schedule us again) ;D
It's just not that great of an accomplishment in my view and really not that amusing. Now Butler's accomplishments over Valpo are much better. Not even counting the Final Fours how many straight wins did Butler have over Valpo in recent times? It really is time to stop counting on a few victories over Butler. It makes this board seem small and petty and has gone on far too long. Butler has gone on and Valpo fans can't seem to do that.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vu72

Quote from: historyman on January 27, 2014, 02:17:43 PM
Quote from: valpotx on January 27, 2014, 01:20:00 PM
No one is being serious that just because we have beaten them 4 times in a row, that we are now the better team.  All of us just like to revel in the fact that from now until the end of time, we get to say that we have beaten them 4 times in a row (since they won't ever schedule us again) ;D
It's just not that great of an accomplishment in my view and really not that amusing. Now Butler's accomplishments over Valpo are much better. Not even counting the Final Fours how many straight wins did Butler have over Valpo in recent times? It really is time to stop counting on a few victories over Butler. It makes this board seem small and petty and has gone on far too long. Butler has gone on and Valpo fans can't seem to do that.

Oh come on, lighten up.  We like to take digs at Butler because of their fan's egotistical attitudes.  Now that they are mired in last place with three road games ahead, some of us long time fans just get a chuckle at their struggles.  As for how many straight they had over us, I'm not some sort of computer that brings up old data at will but we did  beat them 7 of 8 back in the early 70's.  ;D
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu72 on January 27, 2014, 03:00:14 PM
I'm not some sort of computer that brings up old data at will
DID SOMEBODY SAY MY NAME?

10 straight losses before that, dating back to 1994 (12/1), with the last win being 12/4/93.

Before THAT three straight losses, dating back to 1990 (12/6).  Homer split with them in his first year.  His FIRST GAME he lost by 30 and then later in the season won by TWENTY. So that's IMMEDIATE improvement.  (Also beat ND that year, remember?)

But before THAT the TOM SMITH ERA was GOLDEN with wins in 7 out of 15 games.  Until Bryce, our most successful coach against 'em.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpo84

Remember to add "(SI)" when using sarcasm to remind people that we vibe Butler only because we like them and would like to see the rivalry continued.

For example,

1-7 in conference. Maybe they'd like to reduce that horrific travel schedule and come back to the Horizon to be the 10th member... (SI)

or maybe not (SI).
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

LaPorteAveApostle

why "SI"?  because we want to support Hispanic fans?

or because we want a video of One Shining Moment and a brown-and-gold parka FREE with our paid subscription?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

"Lavonte has been sensational for us during this three-game winning streak," Drew said. "He started off the game great, but then had two or three guys around him at all times. What we needed was some other guys who could score for us. When we couldn't get that going, they kept putting multiple guys on Lavonte. We need to get back where we have other players stepping up for us."

Do these comments make any sense to anybody?  LVD scores 8 points in the first five minutes.  He was on fire!  Then Bryce takes him out for some unknown reason and he sits for more than half the rest of the game (18 of 35 minutes).  It almost sounds like Bryce is saying he took LVD out because CSU put a bunch of guys on him and rendered him ineffective, which of course makes no sense.   

In 6 conference games leading up to Sat., LVD played 36, 37, 32, 31, 35, and 34 minutes. He is clearly the MVP of the team.  He is a co-captain and reportedly the hardest working player on the team.  He would be the last player I would expect Bryce to feel a need to sit because he won't listen or has some kind of attitude problem.  There wasn't mention anywhere about his back bothering him, or anything else physical. Last, but not least, there is no way we were going to beat CSU without LVD on the court and having a big game, and yet he was only on the court half the time. Nothing about any of this makes any sense to me.   

StlVUFan

Quote from: wh on January 27, 2014, 06:57:10 PM
"Lavonte has been sensational for us during this three-game winning streak," Drew said. "He started off the game great, but then had two or three guys around him at all times. What we needed was some other guys who could score for us. When we couldn't get that going, they kept putting multiple guys on Lavonte. We need to get back where we have other players stepping up for us."

Do these comments make any sense to anybody?  LVD scores 8 points in the first five minutes.  He was on fire!  Then Bryce takes him out for some unknown reason and he sits for more than half the rest of the game (18 of 35 minutes).  It almost sounds like Bryce is saying he took LVD out because CSU put a bunch of guys on him and rendered him ineffective, which of course makes no sense.   

In 6 conference games leading up to Sat., LVD played 36, 37, 32, 31, 35, and 34 minutes. He is clearly the MVP of the team.  He is a co-captain and reportedly the hardest working player on the team.  He would be the last player I would expect Bryce to feel a need to sit because he won't listen or has some kind of attitude problem.  There wasn't mention anywhere about his back bothering him, or anything else physical. Last, but not least, there is no way we were going to beat CSU without LVD on the court and having a big game, and yet he was only on the court half the time. Nothing about any of this makes any sense to me.   
Doesn' t make perfect sense to me, but it makes a good deal of sense.  Seems pretty self-explanatory: he was on the floor for awhile after CSU adjusted and was getting no action at all.  I'm not saying the obvious answer is to remove him, but that Bryce wanted to throw a new wrinkle at them because the LVD wrinkle was not working at all hardly seems like twilight zone thinking to me.

historyman

Quote from: StlVUFan on January 29, 2014, 10:14:18 PMDoesn' t make perfect sense to me, but it makes a good deal of sense.  Seems pretty self-explanatory: he was on the floor for awhile after CSU adjusted and was getting no action at all.  I'm not saying the obvious answer is to remove him, but that Bryce wanted to throw a new wrinkle at them because the LVD wrinkle was not working at all hardly seems like twilight zone thinking to me.
I have to agree. LaVonte had re-entered the CSU game and his scoring had diminished to nil before being taken out again. Bryce tried something new and it didn't work. Our balanced scoring used to be a huge asset but it seems our balanced scoring isn't so balanced anymore and is leaning heavily on Dority.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

HC

I think they are leaning on him right now because he is dangerously hot. When/if he comes back to earth the others will pick up the pace.

FWalum

Been reading the forum but not commenting because I didn't want to get into debates based on what I think is a lot of over analysis.  What LAA said here hits the nail on the head.
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 25, 2014, 07:37:50 PMI'll repeat, because it bears it:  This team is top-50 in shooting, rebounding, scoring.

And we're 12-10, hovering around the top-50 PERCENT of teams.

Why?  Well, multiple reasons, owing a lot to ill-defined roles and a lack of consistency in lineups, not allowing for gelling, player confidence or comfort, etc.

But mostly, the turnovers. We're really really good at scoring IF WE DON'T FRICKIN GIVE THE BALL AWAY.  (And maybe the lack of familiarity with one another lends itself to that?)
Love the kids, love the talent, just don't think this team has an identity yet.  I don't think Bryce has been able to trim the bench to only 7-8 players that typically play at this time of the year hence the yo-yo and what seems to be a searching for the right combinations.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

LaPorteAveApostle