• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #8 - @ The Morehead Eagles

Started by VULB#62, October 18, 2014, 04:17:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Time to put the oh-so-close-it-cuddah-been-us loss behind us and move on to Morehead.

Morehead like Valpo and Davidson have been bottom feeders low these last few years. Can we build on the positives and fix the errors?  Will Ben be OK or will Scoot be our starting QB?  Will the D keep getting more confidence? 

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 18, 2014, 04:17:03 PMTime to put the oh-so-close-it-cuddah-been-us loss behind us and move on to Morehead.
yeah, it's been what...45 minutes?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

usc4valpo

lol - didn't Morehead State drop 76 on Valpo 2 years ago?  But Valpo is actually playing better.

VULB#62

MSU 7 - Dayton 41

From the Dayton web sites:  Led by Connor Kacsor's 232 yards and four touchdowns in just 10 carries, the University of Dayton improved to 3-0 in the Pioneer Football League with a 41-7 win over Morehead State Saturday at Welcome Stadium.  Dayton rolled up 443 yards on the ground, and 514 yards in totoal offense, while holding MSU to 136 and 312.

MSU may not be able to stop a good ground attack and they could only muster 176 passing yards against Dayton.

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 18, 2014, 05:23:11 PM
lol - didn't Morehead State drop 76 on Valpo 2 years ago?  But Valpo is actually playing better.

This team won't allow that to happen,

usc4valpo

Agree, the Osteen days are far gone...

ole skol baller 2

I believe Lehman will be OK but doubtful for Saturdays game.  So look for Staal the start and drive the team. The defense will continue to play hard and gain a lot more confidence as the weeks go on. Nunes I believe is making big plays on the defensive side and continue to push that defensive unit.

VULB#62

Thinking forward, Singh (Sr/Jr.) is also getting into the D-backfield mix (13 tackles (7 solo, 6 assists).

We lose Dale Cook and Devan Gadson from the secondary but have most of the two deep back.  With the new weight room and a full off-season under their belts, they will all be stronger and faster.  As will the LBs and DL.

We lose Colin Burke and Ryan Mundy from the LB corps but have 6 of 8 returning from the 2-deep.

We return 3 of 4 DL starters and 6 of 8 on the 2-deep.

covufan

I like that this team is still fighting for something in the second half.  Althought we have yet to beat an FCS team, we are improved from previous years.  The defense has really improved - we have yet (not counting W. Illinois) to give up 40 or more points this year.  In the past four years, this was a regular occurance.  I think the defense will continue to play well.

Valpo   -   34
MHead  -   31

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

valpopal

Valpo 24
Morehead 21

As we enter this game I find my thinking reversed from the start of the season when I thought the defense would need more work than the offense. However, I am being optimistic and hoping the offense can score on a poor Morehead defense, and the defense will step up once again. Indeed, I have been impressed by the advancement of the Crusader defense this season, and I have been pleased to see the contributions by freshmen. On special teams, Jarrett Morgan has had four blocks of field goals or punts. Moreover, the three freshmen in my following photos have been solid on defense and played in all seven games thus far. Perhaps they are an early indication of the recruiting ability of the new coaching staff, which should have an even better chance to recruit for next season. 

usc4valpo

Great pics but the fonts do not have a football feel. They look more like something on the Lifetime Network.

valpopal

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 21, 2014, 08:11:58 PM
Great pics but the fonts do not have a football feel. They look more like something on the Lifetime Network.

Thanks for the comment on the pics. Actually, the font on Kye Hall's photo is the same one often used by Sports Illustrated. Check "Alabama Football" at the following:

http://www.amazon.com/Sports-Illustrated-Alabama-Football-Editors/dp/1603201491

usc4valpo

True, but the other 2 are something you would see on "Dance Moms" or "Say Yes to the Dress."  Yes, I have 2 daughters who watch these shows.

valpopal

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 22, 2014, 06:02:06 AM
True, but the other 2 are something you would see on "Dance Moms" or "Say Yes to the Dress."  Yes, I have 2 daughters who watch these shows.

I have to admit I have never seen those shows, but I'll give you that the third one was an artistic stretch, and I took a chance with the looping rope text meant to imitate the shapes seen in his hair and inspired by his name "De La Rosa"; however, the second is a common font similar to that used by various sports teams on their logos, ie, the Brewers and Patriots: http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/fint0g6oahbn5w0gh69wqdcpm/Milwaukee_Brewers/2000/Wordmark_Logo and http://americanfootball.wikia.com/wiki/New_England_Patriots

valpochgo

I really like the way you photoshop your pics.  I know you are changing background yet what I really like is your subject color enhancements are great!

VUDad

In the last two PFL games (Marist and Drake), Valpo has started with a scoring drive on their first possession and then been shut down in the mid first qtr for the rest of both games (regardless of who played QB, RB, or WR).That's the reason for both losses. Add St. Joe into that category too--but that was too far back to remember. Makes you wonder about the play calling. According to one of our coaches, MSU gets beat by long plays. Not in our arsenal yet. Valpo 10, MSU 24.

VULB#62

Quote from: VUDad on October 22, 2014, 05:45:41 PM
According to one of our coaches, MSU gets beat by long plays. Not in our arsenal yet. Valpo 10, MSU 24.

I'm not ready yet to predict this game (hoping to know more about the QB situation), but I can't help noticing that generally our predictions are taking on a lower Points Against look and reflect closer game score spreads.  This indicates to me increased faith in the competitiveness of the 2014 team.  That's good to see.

Latest PFL Stats for all games (Both PFL and OOC)

Rush Offense/game - MSU 162.7................Valpo 136.7
Pass Offense /game - MSU 235.7...............Valpo 199.7
Total Offense/game  - MSU 398.4...............Valpo 336.4
Scoring Offense/game - MSU 24.1...............Valpo 21.4

Rush Defense/game  - MSU 245.0...............Valpo 191.0
Pass Defense/game - MSU 261.0................Valpo 207.1
Total defense/game - MSU 506.0................Valpo 398.1
Scoring Defense - MSU 42.1.......................Valpo 28.4

Sacks against - MSU 8..............................Valpo 3
Penalties  By - MSU 53 for 58.7 yds/g..........Valpo 38 for 51 yds/g
Penalties Opponents - MSU 55 for 74 yds/g...Valpo 53 for 81.3 yds/g

Valparent

Valpo 24
Morhead 21
Btw we really need to put someone on our two deep. The second string defensive tackle on the one last week was listed as Bryson Eppinger, who my son tells me is a middle linebacker who has been out with a concussion for weeks. I understand it's not that important but it just seems unprofessional.

IndyValpo

Quote from: Valparent on October 23, 2014, 12:09:25 PMValpo 24
Morhead 21
Btw we really need to put someone on our two deep. The second string defensive tackle on the one last week was listed as Bryson Eppinger, who my son tells me is a middle linebacker who has been out with a concussion for weeks. I understand it's not that important but it just seems unprofessional.

I have been pointing out the poor nature of the two deep for about 3 years.  It seems we try to make it as difficult as possible to follow football.

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

covufan

Quote from: IndyValpo on October 23, 2014, 12:46:26 PMI have been pointing out the poor nature of the two deep for about 3 years.  It seems we try to make it as difficult as possible to follow football.
Why publish a two deep if it isn't accurate? 

usc4valpo

dad, something to be aware of - in previous seasons, Valpo scored points when it really did not matter and the score was out of reach.  The talent on the roster this year is light, and that is a reality check. Give Cecchini time to recruit and develop some players.  They gave Osteen 4 years, I would expect a similar opportunity here.

valpochgo

Melvin Graham III and Kellen Hughes were in sweats on the sideline last game and both were still on the 2 Deep as a starter and back-up respectfully.  Yet Ryan Singh actually started last week and will again be starting this week at safety along with JJ.  Kellen didn't play but I think I saw that he made a tackle in the box score / recap last week so that's a tad off as well.  Honestly, I thought they did the 2 Deep at the beginning of the season and just left it the same all year because I never notice any changes from week to week.

VULB#62

As we fans try to follow the Crusaders and get a substantial feel for how the program is progressing week to week, the lack of an up-to-date 2-Deep is frustrating.  Going into MSU Ben is still listed as the #1 QB, but he will probably not even dress unless his concussion is fully healed -- and that is an issue, because the staff would have had to install the game plan on Monday assuming he would not be back, given Scott the lion's share of the reps, and backed him up with freshman Ryan Clark.  The same can be said in other cases as well.  Bottom line, keep it updated or get rid of it.