• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #8 - @ The Morehead Eagles

Started by VULB#62, October 18, 2014, 04:17:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

The game will be streamed on the OVC Network.  Wish I could tune in but I'll be traveling.

http://www.ovcdigitalnetwork.com/watch/

Speaking of watching:  Be sure to keep tabs on the Butler @ Drake game.  We know how we measured up against Drake and we have Butler at home in two weeks.

bbtds

Let me get this correct. Because of the issues with background, colors and fonts the discussion was getting two-deep? Wouldn't that be three-deep?

You're right. We could never be really two-deep and neither can our coaches think that far ahead.

VULB#62

With the questionable QB situation and other injuries,  the Crusader's will ride the shoulders of the Defensive unit.  The D will have another good day, shutting down the MSU rushing attack and keeping MSU receivers in front of the secondary.  The offense will focus on the run to control the ball and the clock. Staal will manage the game and protect the ball throwing fewer than 20 times.   It will be a close game that will turn on a critical mistake and MSU is the one who makes it -- Jarret Morgan blocks another kick.

Valpo 24
MSU 21

bbtds

I'll play along.

Valpo                12
Sir Thomas Morehead 10

Sir Thomas is going down again!

This time Valpo is all about Renaissance!!

Henry the VIII we are, we are!!!!

Of course, let's not lose our heads!!!!!

crusadermoe

Morehead State will always bring back memories of the one Pioneer Championship game played at Brown Field.  They were the South division team playing us as North division champs.    Can't recall the year-- -2003?    Great offensive game that had Dave Macchi throwing all over the yard.   

Yes,........ Valpo had some good seasons in the early 2000s even though they get lost in the blur of so many bad ones before and after.   It showed that even with a grass field and garbage facilities, Valpo actually competed when they had the right QB and some good linemen.

bbtds

I specifically remember the MSU cheerleaders yelling into our faces through their megaphones the chant "Morehead..Morehead..Morehead." My brother's roommate was seeing his first Valpo fb game. He had listened to that all game long and was known as a nice clean cut guy. He turned to me and whispered "I want that too." I fell out of my seat and couldn't stop laughing.

valpotx

Yes, that was the 2003 season, my last year.  We were actually on some regional TV station that game, I forget what it was called, but it had some announcer that was fairly well known. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

JERRY GLANVILLE

i'll take valpo trivia for $400, alex.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valporun

Wasn't DeMarco Farr working with Jerry Glanville for this game? I just know it was a really cold day at Brown Field.

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on October 25, 2014, 07:15:38 AM
JERRY GLANVILLE

i'll take valpo trivia for $400, alex.

WHO WAS
Jerry Granville?!!!!!!  As on Jeopardy, in the form of a question but actually an answer.

usc4valpo

Did Coach Horne leave tickets for Henry Baker Brown for that game?

bbtds

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 25, 2014, 09:41:55 AM
Did Coach Horne leave tickets for Henry Baker Brown for that game?

If HBB was still in charge there would have never been a football team. I'm sure he's over there in his grave at Graceland Cemetery wondering how his university ever got it's greatest exposure from playing games.

valpotx

I tuned in with us leading 10-7, and within 5 minutes of watching, we are now up 24-7.  Glad to see that Lehman is playing!
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

With 7:04 to go in the 2nd quarter, the Crusaders lead the Morehead St. Eagles, 24-7. Includes a 42-yard rushing TD by Brandon Hall, and a 79-yard punt return for TD by Joey Gadson. Of course, as I type this, MSU scores on a long TD pass. Going to be 24-14 in the 2nd.

vu72

As good a half of a football game as I've seen Valpo play in years.  Also really like the quality of the picture and tv coverage.  Vastly superior to the butter smeared lens look put out by a Valpo football broadcast.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

What a good start to the second half, love the play calling!  We get a long pass to Kuramata on the first play, and then a WR pass to Lehman for a TD!  The idiot announcers didn't see that he snuck the ball in and tagged the pylon.  You can hear them talking about it in the break, and their sideline guy confirmed it was a TD, even though they were freaking out.

Then we get a missed extra point, and a kick out of bounds at the 20.  He shanked both badly.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Hopefully that missed EP doesn't cost us like it did the last game.  Even though we had a chance to tie in the closing minutes against Drake, having an 8 pt deficit just seems like a large hill to climb, even though you know that you have to score a TD regardless.  We are up 30-21 now.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Geez, now a kickoff return for a TD, off a high bounce!  Morgan with the take back!  37-21 Valpo!

It almost looks like Newman kicked these last two out of bounds on purpose.  Both were literally diagonal kicks.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpochgo

Where is our defense at this game?  Soft zone isn't working that well.  We need to tighten that up some as they are going underneath the linebackers and just moving up and down the field.

valpotx

Clutch kick by Newman on that 37 yard FG.  I didn't think that he would make it since we were on the right hash mark, but he booted the heck out of it (looked good from 50).  I agree on the soft zone comment as well, as it looks like we are playing 10 yds off each of their WRs.  They are dinkin' and dunkin' easily
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Our defense is not doing well this half.  Now up 40-35, and they are having their way with us.  We better not let this one get away.  We should have beaten Campbell with how that game went, same for Drake, can't let it happen again when we have been owning them all game...
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Dang it, two bad runs right into MSU, and then a throw a bit off target.  Need a stop, after a good punt downed at the MSU 4.
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Yeah, the D is not doing the job this week.  After 3 3&O on their first 5 drives (and another ending in TO on downs), now they have 4 TDs in their last 5 drives, and the one that didn't still gave up 50 yards.

They're pinned deep ... time to make plays.

EDIT:  *were* pinned deep
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

Good coverage leads to a sack, and hopefully a punt!

MSU's defense is cheating up on the run, need a play-action pass again.
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

KYE HALL !!!!

WE WILL RENAME SOME HALL AFTER YOU!

(PROBABLY NOT DAU-KREINHEDER)