• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Opponents Scoreboard 2014-2015 Season

Started by motowntitan, November 02, 2014, 09:22:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justducky

YSU played great basketball against the GB man to man but when the GB zone forced them to pass the game quickly changed. I don't think YSU could have shot much better than that.

bbtds

Quote from: SanityLost17 on February 10, 2015, 09:10:10 PMIf the HL picks up another team and we go back to a Thursday/Saturday or Friday/Sunday travel partner game schedule, Kampe will have to add depth to compete on the 2nd game of the road trips.

I do not believe that the days of the week that HL games are played have anything to do with having 10 teams or 9 teams. The reason that the HL has gone to games on Sunday, Wednesday, Friday and some Saturdays are because of the new agreements with ESPN and the American SN for TV coverage. ESPN and ASN wanted programming on the other nights that the other leagues didn't have games scheduled. The HL will not go back to the Thursday/Saturday or Friday/Sunday travel partner schedule until those TV contracts are done.

oklahomamick

Quote from: bbtds on February 12, 2015, 03:24:21 AM
Quote from: SanityLost17 on February 10, 2015, 09:10:10 PMIf the HL picks up another team and we go back to a Thursday/Saturday or Friday/Sunday travel partner game schedule, Kampe will have to add depth to compete on the 2nd game of the road trips.
I do not believe that the days of the week that HL games are played have anything to do with having 10 teams or 9 teams. The reason that the HL has gone to games on Sunday, Wednesday, Friday and some Saturdays are because of the new agreements with ESPN and the American SN for TV coverage. ESPN and ASN wanted programming on the other nights that the other leagues didn't have games scheduled. The HL will not go back to the Thursday/Saturday or Friday/Sunday travel partner schedule until those TV contracts are done.

I was just fine with the HL network. 
CRUSADERS!!!

FWalum

Getting a little help (very little) from IPFW which has now won 6 in a row and, while I think it is almost mathematically impossible for them to win the regular season conference race, is becoming the team that was the preseason selection to win the Summit League.  No one wants to play them right now and I think they have a good shot to win the tournament especially since the conference doesn't give byes to any teams in the conference tournament.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

SanityLost17

Quote from: bbtds on February 12, 2015, 03:24:21 AM

Personally, I think recruiting in the Horizon league would be better with more Saturday games.  Saturday games = bigger crowds.  If I was a recruit, I could care less about TV, I would want to play in fun environments.  In conference play, every team in the Horizon NEEDS to have at least 3 Saturday night home games a year.  That is how you sell the team to the local community and to incoming recruits.   

oklahomamick

I know this is not an opponents score, but I thought it was interesting the Detroit Mercy fans are questioning Ray.  They even have topics titled, "So When Does Change Need to Occur?" and "Rock Bottom"
CRUSADERS!!!

hailcrusaders

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 12, 2015, 10:08:52 AM
I know this is not an opponents score, but I thought it was interesting the Detroit Mercy fans are questioning Ray.  They even have topics titled, "So When Does Change Need to Occur?" and "Rock Bottom"

They were also calling for his head after the Capobianco game a few years ago. According to our forums, half of HL coaches are on the hot seat (UIC, YSU, MIL, DET apparently...)
#CrusadersForever

a3uge

Quote from: hailcrusaders on February 12, 2015, 12:10:49 PM

According to our forums, half of HL coaches are on the hot seat (UIC, YSU, MIL, DET apparently...)

As they should be... There's only 3 teams with winning records, UIC and YSU have been bottom dwellers since we've been in the Horizon, Jeter was on his way out before a surprise run and having your team face APR violations could be grounds for removal. Detroit has underperformed every year despite having a lot of talent, but I don't think McCallum is on the hot seat.

Kyle321n

Quote from: a3uge on February 12, 2015, 12:54:58 PM
Quote from: hailcrusaders on February 12, 2015, 12:10:49 PM

According to our forums, half of HL coaches are on the hot seat (UIC, YSU, MIL, DET apparently...)

As they should be... There's only 3 teams with winning records, UIC and YSU have been bottom dwellers since we've been in the Horizon, Jeter was on his way out before a surprise run and having your team face APR violations could be grounds for removal. Detroit has underperformed every year despite having a lot of talent, but I don't think McCallum is on the hot seat.

Let's play a game called "Kyle is the AD"

Valpo- Could be gone to a higher level program? Not being fired ever. (Imagine what it would take to get Bryce fired). Can I give him a 35 year contract worth like $200mil ($5.6 a year)?
Green Bay- He survived the "scandal" from a few years back. His on court record speaks for itself. Safe.
Cleveland St. - He's had one bad year with a full batch of his recruits. I think Waters is really safe unless he wants a higher position outside of the HL.
Oakland- We don't call him King Kampe for nothing. He'll die on the bench, which should be a few years from now, due to a heart attack.
Wright St.- You know I think he's safe for a few years. They lost a lot from last year, had some key injuries and had low expectations. I'd give him a couple years to bring the program back.
Detroit- Ray Sr. is an interesting case. 0.469 winning percentage while at Detroit. Only 3 winning seasons and they were all with his kid. Unless he has another offspring that's good at basketball and being recruited by UofM and Duke then I think he's gone soon. I'd give him 2 years to turn things around. If he's under .500 in either of those season, hit the bricks.
Milwaukee- I fired Jeter before last season. He wouldn't survive this year in my books with the APR violation and the team's performance.
YSU- Poor Jerry. Seems like a good guy but he's a bad D1 coach. He's fired after this yearGood bye.
UIC- He's gone. There's no way you bring him back if you want to be a legitimate program.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

classof2014

I still believe Wardle should've been fired for defe-gate. I find it hilarious why GB fans don't understand why we don't respect Wardle at all.

talksalot

Ahem.   Nutter Center Final.    UIC (3-8) 79  Raiders (3-8) 75    Flames next game... AT Cleveland State Sunday.  2 wins in a row for UIC, 4 losses in a row for WSU.

Other games Tonight:
Pepperdine at Portland- late
ETSU 65 NCGreensboro 62
Murray State (22-4) 78 SIUE 46

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

CSU at Detroit should be a good one.  CSU beat Detroit at home 70-66 and are favored by 3.5 in this one. 

covufan

Detroit up 18-13 with 7:37 left in first half.  Am I supposed to root for Detroit?

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

covufan

Pathfinder

Detroit is choking (or should we say, just being Detroit). Lead down to 3.

govalpogo

In and out for charlie lee.  Ouch.  Big night in the standings!

talksalot

Thank you Titans.  66-65...One full game lead with 4 to play.   OK.... we're allowed 2 deep breaths.  Then.  Think TIBY. 

justducky

Good day of HL basketball! Glad we won, glad Oakland won, and to a lesser degree I am glad CSU also won. Things are setting up perfectly for us coming down the stretch . We now have maybe a 60% chance of winning out even though we probably will not need to.

vu72

Watched the Oakland-Detroit game.  Oakland packed their place--literally standing room only and then, not much of that either! Some of the Oakland students showed up in Speedos as a way to show off their shortcomings...

Great game with little defense.  Felder is the real deal as is Bass. 
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

oklahomamick

I watched it too. There was a lot of discussion that the HL made an exception on oaklands gym size when accepting them into the league.  Personally, if they can fill it up and create such an environment, who cares.  I hate the huge gyms and arenas that sit 8,000-10,000 but only get 3,000-5,000 bodies. 
CRUSADERS!!!

agibson

Quote from: justducky on February 15, 2015, 04:38:09 PMWe now have maybe a 60% chance of winning out even though we probably will not need to.

You're counting on another UWGB loss? Or what's your scenario?

wh

I was only able to catch the last 3-4 minutes of the Oakland-Detroit game, but it looked like a rockin good time for sure. Exciting game, packed house, rivalry storyline - all good stuff.  :thumbsup:

HC

I miss the Butler rivalry. Standing room only, several rows deep around the track.