• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2018-19 VU Schedule

Started by VU2014, November 07, 2017, 08:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on August 13, 2018, 07:11:10 PM
I think we need to start with more aggressive scheduling and go from there.

It's not for a lack of trying. The Coaches are making the calls. You can't hold a gun to coaches head and demand they schedule a series with us. Many of the quality series mid-major programs get are through connections. I do wish the home schedule would be consistently better, but we need to give things a little time. I think over the course of the next few years VU will be able to land more quality series. We know we have to Vandy game in our back pocket. The away schedule is tougher this season.

Quote from: IrishDawg on August 13, 2018, 07:09:48 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on August 13, 2018, 03:52:14 PM
It makes sense to give GW the first home game in this situation. We need to set ourselves up for the 2019-20 season. Hopefully GW will be stronger next season. GW is predicted to be one of the weaker A10 programs this upcoming season.

Lot of things need to go right for that home game to be worthwhile.  Biggest things are their 3 eligible transfers need to pan out and they need to develop their younger guys (who for the most part weren't even average offensively last year).

I know it's way too early to be talking at-large but if we have any chance of getting a at-large bid it would be that season, because of all the upperclassman and guys would have tons of experience playing with each other (other than Gordon and Robinson). The program needs to be in a at-large bid mindset and schedule accordingly. Time will tell but that team has the chance to be the next special VU team if everything comes together.

IrishDawg

Quote from: VU2014 on August 13, 2018, 07:43:33 PM

I know it's way too early to be talking at-large but if we have any chance of getting a at-large bid it would be that season, because of all the upperclassman and guys would have tons of experience playing with each other (other than Gordon and Robinson). The program needs to be in a at-large bid mindset and schedule accordingly. Time will tell but that team has the chance to be the next special VU team if everything comes together.

Sorry for not making it more clear, but George Washington has to have a lot go right to be a worthwhile opponent for Valpo in 19-20.  I'm confident Valpo will be a good team in 19-20 assuming no major roster changes.

VUGrad1314

Please let Powell Diebler Ragland Manuel and Tonagel be hired as head coaches in decent non MVC places in the near future. And please let Tom Crean Scott Drew  and Matt Painter be receptive to series with return games. Our schedule needs this.

VU2014

If Brandon Newman plays for Purdue we may have a shot at 2-for-1 like we did for the Hummel series. The only thing is that was a different era of CBB and scheduling has changed since then.

Even if Brandon choses a different school maybe they'd give him a home game in his hometown. His stock has shot through the roof the last few months.

VUGrad1314

Don't get me wrong I understand the challenges, I really do, but you can't tell me that you've watched what Illinois State has done the past two years  and UNI consistently does and haven't come away just a little disappointed that it hasn't happened for us yet. We have the potential to become equal to or greater than any program in the MVC and I am desperate to see that potential realized. Sometimes  that comes off as impatience but it's more like passion. When you're passionate about something you want to see it prosper you want to see it become great. You want to see progress in all fronts and scheduling is coming along but a bit slowly. Since we're still paying off series we concluded as a member of the HL it's somewhat understandable but I just don't see why elimination of the non-D1s or their confinement to the exhibition portion of the schedule is a goal that hasn't happened yet. It would be a sure and obvious sign of progress  but I guess the non-D1s do save us from having to return games against bad teams which would make a one year problem a two year problem. I don't know I just want more than 1-2 home games per year that I can really get excited about. They don't have to be P5 I just don't get why we as a strong mid don't see a bunch more strong mids on the schedule. It seems like birds of a feather should flock together.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VU2014 on August 13, 2018, 08:15:14 PMIf Brandon Newman plays for Purdue we may have a shot at 2-for-1 like we did for the Hummel series. The only thing is that was a different era of CBB and scheduling has changed since then. Even if Brandon choses a different school maybe they'd give him a home game in his hometown. His stock has shot through the roof the last few months.

Are you hearing that he is leaning toward Purdue or are you just using Purdue as an example because it happened before? Also might his decision to go to prep school hurt our chances of getting such a series? Also who's to say Purdue won't do something similar for Sasha? What decent basketball school is closer to Crown Point than VU?

EddieCabot

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on August 13, 2018, 08:33:57 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on August 13, 2018, 08:15:14 PMIf Brandon Newman plays for Purdue we may have a shot at 2-for-1 like we did for the Hummel series. The only thing is that was a different era of CBB and scheduling has changed since then. Even if Brandon choses a different school maybe they'd give him a home game in his hometown. His stock has shot through the roof the last few months.

Are you hearing that he is leaning toward Purdue or are you just using Purdue as an example because it happened before? Also might his decision to go to prep school hurt our chances of getting such a series? Also who's to say Purdue won't do something similar for Sasha? What decent basketball school is closer to Crown Point than VU?

I don't mean to throw a wet blanket on this idea, but Purdue is only an hour from Crown Point vs 1/2 hour to Valpo.  It's not like Crown Point fans can't see him unless he plays a game at Valpo.

Others may know the answer, but was the Purdue-Valpo series agreed to when both Hummel AND Martin were there?

EddieCabot

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on August 13, 2018, 08:28:47 PM
Don't get me wrong I understand the challenges, I really do, but you can't tell me that you've watched what Illinois State has done the past two years  and UNI consistently does and haven't come away just a little disappointed that it hasn't happened for us yet. We have the potential to become equal to or greater than any program in the MVC and I am desperate to see that potential realized. Sometimes  that comes off as impatience but it's more like passion. When you're passionate about something you want to see it prosper you want to see it become great. You want to see progress in all fronts and scheduling is coming along but a bit slowly. Since we're still paying off series we concluded as a member of the HL it's somewhat understandable but I just don't see why elimination of the non-D1s or their confinement to the exhibition portion of the schedule is a goal that hasn't happened yet. It would be a sure and obvious sign of progress  but I guess the non-D1s do save us from having to return games against bad teams which would make a one year problem a two year problem. I don't know I just want more than 1-2 home games per year that I can really get excited about. They don't have to be P5 I just don't get why we as a strong mid don't see a bunch more strong mids on the schedule. It seems like birds of a feather should flock together.

Lots of really good points here.  You'd think that Valpo could easily schedule home-and-home series with MAC schools or even nearby HL/Summit schools like UIC/UWM/FW/IUPUI.  I know Valpo is somewhat above those schools, but those road games would be easy road trips for Valpo fans and would be in cities with Valpo alumni bases. 

However, as 1314 points out, it may take a few years for Valpo to fully leverage their MVC status to improve the schedule.  I'm willing to wait and see what happens.  The GW series is a huge step in the right direction.

VUGrad1314

I think if we can turn in a top 100-125 RPI this year we could tempt them to come here in 19-20 or 20-21 because we'd show them decent potential of being a Q1 road game for them.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: EddieCabot on August 13, 2018, 10:01:52 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on August 13, 2018, 08:28:47 PMDon't get me wrong I understand the challenges, I really do, but you can't tell me that you've watched what Illinois State has done the past two years  and UNI consistently does and haven't come away just a little disappointed that it hasn't happened for us yet. We have the potential to become equal to or greater than any program in the MVC and I am desperate to see that potential realized. Sometimes  that comes off as impatience but it's more like passion. When you're passionate about something you want to see it prosper you want to see it become great. You want to see progress in all fronts and scheduling is coming along but a bit slowly. Since we're still paying off series we concluded as a member of the HL it's somewhat understandable but I just don't see why elimination of the non-D1s or their confinement to the exhibition portion of the schedule is a goal that hasn't happened yet. It would be a sure and obvious sign of progress  but I guess the non-D1s do save us from having to return games against bad teams which would make a one year problem a two year problem. I don't know I just want more than 1-2 home games per year that I can really get excited about. They don't have to be P5 I just don't get why we as a strong mid don't see a bunch more strong mids on the schedule. It seems like birds of a feather should flock together.
Lots of really good points here.  You'd think that Valpo could easily schedule home-and-home series with MAC schools or even nearby HL/Summit schools like UIC/UWM/FW/IUPUI.  I know Valpo is somewhat above those schools, but those road games would be easy road trips for Valpo fans and would be in cities with Valpo alumni bases. However, as 1314 points out, it may take a few years for Valpo to fully leverage their MVC status to improve the schedule.  I'm willing to wait and see what happens.  The GW series is a huge step in the right direction.

That post was a nod to VU2014's point that I need to give it a bit more time. I agree on the significance of the GW series and that MAC teams UIC UWM IUPUI and FW  and other HL\SL teams would be so much better than any non-D1 from an SOS standpoint and a fan interest standpoint. And what's more not only do they offer better preparation for MVC play they will also prove far more instructive for where our team stands in a given year. The big potential matter that hurts this plan is the HL's lawsuit which to my knowledge is still pending though we have scheduled HL teams in other sports this year.

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on August 13, 2018, 08:33:57 PM

I haven't heard an update on his recruitment in a while since the VHS coach was taken out of the picture as an advisor in his recruitment. It sounds like others have sort of been advising him on recruitment/prep school/etc. I'm out of the loop but last I heard was that Purdue liked him a lot and the interest was real.

It sounds like Sasha Stefanovic isn't going anywhere and the only way I see that possibly changing is if he really struggles in his role at PU and gets buried on the bench for a season or two.

Quote from: EddieCabot on August 13, 2018, 09:54:02 PM
Others may know the answer, but was the Purdue-Valpo series agreed to when both Hummel AND Martin were there?

It's my understanding that the series was scheduled while Robbie and Martin were on Purdue's roster, Martin transferred to ND before the series started. It really was a series for Hummel. It's common to see teams give upperclassmen a game close or very near to their hometown. Probably helps that Homer was widely respected coach and could have also been doing him a solid.

wh

Stefanovic has already used up his red-shirt year. If he stays for for 2 more years and then decides to transfer due to lack of playing time, he'll have to sit out a year and only have 1 year of playing time remaining. What a wasted collegiate career that would be. Goes to show that if you burn a year as a redshirt, you're really committing to that school.

may know

Quote from: VUGrad1314A FEW?!!! They'd better be exhibitions. You can't schedule multiple non-D1s and schools like UC-Riverside and SIU-Edwardsville and then complain about declining attendance numbers. This was a year to start loading up in preparation for next year and it's the same crap. If and when the MVC gets multiple bids this coming year they're going to be really sorry they went soft again and put their eggs in the Arch Madness basket. Illinois State got it done UNI gets it done routinely, Missouri State, SIU, and  Evansville are getting the message and here we are doing the same thing we've always done. If we miss out on the tournament again in the future  because of this "it doesn't hurt our RPI," and "its what we've always done." horse crap I know I won't be the only fan upset. Only this time, it won't be at the committee because it will show that we haven't learned anything and the drumbeat of "buyer's remorse" and "we should have added Murray State instead" will only get louder among the other fanbases in this conference. The old way wasn't working. That's why we joined the MVC in the first place. Now, the scheduling needs to evolve too if we really want to move forward and consistently contend. Our coaches and athletic department do such a good job on everything else, so in some respects I'm sorry for this rant; and I know it's hard, but for God's sake if  Illinois State can do it so can we. It's just going to take a little extra hard work.

???

Chill.

VUGrad1314

I have to assume there's a second game out east coupled with the GW game somehow right? Can't see that trip being a one-off, though perhaps it is given how close that is to finals. Wonder who it could be.

VUGrad1314

Some UNLV roster news. It seems they've just gotten a little tougher.

https://twitter.com/boettger_eli/status/1027333071291310080

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: may know on August 14, 2018, 06:08:53 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314A FEW?!!! They'd better be exhibitions. You can't schedule multiple non-D1s and schools like UC-Riverside and SIU-Edwardsville and then complain about declining attendance numbers. This was a year to start loading up in preparation for next year and it's the same crap. If and when the MVC gets multiple bids this coming year they're going to be really sorry they went soft again and put their eggs in the Arch Madness basket. Illinois State got it done UNI gets it done routinely, Missouri State, SIU, and  Evansville are getting the message and here we are doing the same thing we've always done. If we miss out on the tournament again in the future  because of this "it doesn't hurt our RPI," and "its what we've always done." horse crap I know I won't be the only fan upset. Only this time, it won't be at the committee because it will show that we haven't learned anything and the drumbeat of "buyer's remorse" and "we should have added Murray State instead" will only get louder among the other fanbases in this conference. The old way wasn't working. That's why we joined the MVC in the first place. Now, the scheduling needs to evolve too if we really want to move forward and consistently contend. Our coaches and athletic department do such a good job on everything else, so in some respects I'm sorry for this rant; and I know it's hard, but for God's sake if  Illinois State can do it so can we. It's just going to take a little extra hard work.

???

Chill.

How certain are we that a non-D1 is on our schedule?  Also regarding SIU, what about their exhibition schedule?

EddieCabot

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on August 15, 2018, 06:34:12 AM
How certain are we that a non-D1 is on our schedule?  Also regarding SIU, what about their exhibition schedule?

I'll bet anything that SIU will have at least one non-D1 team on their exhibition schedule.

VUGrad1314

EVERYBODY plays non-D1s in the exhibition schedule. That's what those spots are for. That's where your "tune up games" go. Our problem is that we like to stick 2-3 more of these games where they should not or should I say cannot go. The margin is so thin for schools like VU so not doing everything possible  to maximize these precious few opportunities is foolish not just from an at-large bid standpoint but also from a  preparation for conference play standpoint, Non-D1s serve literally no purpose. They don't prepare you for conference play, attendance suffers, I don't even think they help struggling players "get some confidence" because a D1 team is supposed to win those games and win them handily. SOS matters the committee can't look too favorably on a team will 27-28 wins in a non-power league when only 24-25 of those are D1 wins. At that point, you're just helping their argument to your own exclusion given the beating  the NCSOS takes. Instead of a non-D1, play an old HL or mid-con\SL rival an OVC team, a CUSA or Sun Belt team or a MAC team. Go play the expected top to middle half of those leagues. You still most likely get a home game most years, if the team is decent RPI doesn't suffer much if at all, most years you should have a good chance to win the game, and it might even be a win the committee notices\is impressed by. These teams often struggle to get good games too so it's a win-win. It might be the difference between getting a bid and not, and if nothing else, you boost your chances of at least getting into the NIT.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on August 15, 2018, 06:34:12 AM
Quote from: may know on August 14, 2018, 06:08:53 PM

???

Chill.

Quote from: VU2014 on August 13, 2018, 05:31:32 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on August 13, 2018, 04:45:30 PMStill a solid enough series. I'm fine with this. If every game is at least that good we'll be fine.
Unfortunately we'll be having a few non-d1s on the schedule this season. I don't see those going away anytime soon.

Based on this post.

VU2014

I asked someone who has seen the schedule and they said there will be non-D1s. I didn't directly ask if they were exhibitions, but it came off as if at least one will be a tune-up game.

VUGrad1314

I guess I could live with one; but if you want multiple tune up games, why not just schedule 2-3 exhibition games or as many as the NCAA will allow you to play instead of letting that bleed into the regular  season when the games count? After all, no matter when you play the non-D1 it's as if it doesn't count anyway it's just taking up\wasting precious nonconference space outside of the exhibition period.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VU2014 on August 15, 2018, 12:16:58 PMI asked someone who has seen the schedule and they said there will be non-D1s. I didn't directly ask if they were exhibitions, but it came off as if at least one will be a tune-up game.

How can we get across to the folks with decision-making power that scheduling  is a huge concern to the fanbase and many of us would like them to keep these games to the exhibition portion of the season? MVC teams should be able to get home games\series with any team outside the top 7 conferences, and even with some within the top 7. If you're just trying to fill slots, why not just take a buy game and bring in more money to the athletic department? Then if you win you actually get something significant or some real confidence instead of nothing if you win and a debilitating loss if you lose? If you lose a buy game nothing really happens because you're expected to lose.

VU2014

Members of the Athletics Department occasionally read this board, so they know the concerns. I feel like they've tried implemented some of the suggestions that have been proposed on this board.

As much as I get annoyed with non-D1s they do actually serve a purpose. They don't affect the RPI and they can be used for tune up games to get the young players experience and also the coaches to experiment a bit more. It just sucks for fans because you want to see the team tested against quality competition and play strong opponents. It's fine for exhibitions but ideally I'd want to see us to only play Top 200-225. Scheduling is a tricky business for all mid-majors.

VUGrad1314

Right I just find the notion that we can't get a top 200-225 team to come here and have to resort to non-D1s a bit silly. I really think weeks of preseason practice and the  max number  of exhibition games is enough time for tinkering\experimentation and finding out what works particularly when you don't have a bunch of freshmen.

VUGrad1314

Just did some digging and from what I gather there is no maximum for exhibitions. Therefore, there's literally no excuse not to load up on these to get our non-D1 tune up jollies and no reason to waste regular season slots on them.