• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Games #6 & #7 - Looking ahead to Savannah: Kent State (Friday) & UNCW (Saturday)

Started by VULB#62, November 21, 2017, 10:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justducky

Quote from: bbtds on November 25, 2017, 02:04:16 AM
Quote from: wh on November 24, 2017, 01:18:29 PM
My understanding is they decide alphabetically in descending order by first letter of the university name. If both universities begin with the same letter, the tie-breaker is first letter of the team name in ascending order. It appears to be well thought out and completely fair.
It's not really a tournament because it's not designed to have a clear cut winner. It is designed for like teams to play each other on home and neutral courts. SELA and Samford were put in a lower tier and therefore had to play Valpo at Valpo. Kent State, UNCW, Loyola and Valpo were put in a higher tier and therefore got to play each other on a neutral floor in Savannah, GA. Savannah, GA was picked as a site for this event because they could make money from the fans of the teams that came to Savannah to play. Loyola and Valpo did not play each other in Savannah because they are in the same conference (this conference pairing happened after the field was announced for this event) and so they paired up Valpo to play Kent State and UNCW. Although it would have been interesting if Valpo had played Loyola on a neutral court because both teams seem to be headed towards the top of the MVC as does UNI.
wh nailed it with his explanation while bbtds put me to sleep before I reached the second sen----- :snore:

FWalum

Quote from: valpotx on November 24, 2017, 11:35:39 PM
Whoever was doing the live stats just messed up that last 2 possessions.  They originally had Mileek missing a 3 and Kent State making a last second lay-up, before reversing it to the correct plays. 
There were more mistakes than that. At least twice during the game they applied points to the wrong team.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

agibson

Quote from: FWalum on November 25, 2017, 05:59:20 AMThere were more mistakes than that. At least twice during the game they applied points to the wrong team.

This happened at least once in the arena as well.

agibson

Quote from: justducky on November 25, 2017, 03:29:45 AMwh nailed it with his explanation while bbtds put me to sleep before I reached the second sen-----

I'm still not sure what they'll use as a tiebreaker if we and Loyola both win again. I assume they would normally declare some kind of "winner". I guess they'll have an all-tournament team too, but there's not a lot of people here to vote.

wh

My previous made-up tie breaking procedure aside, my assumption is very simply they will name Valpo and Loyola co-champs. Both teams get honored, and everyone walks away with hardware and a happy face.  Easy peasy.

vu84v2

This would not be the first time this has happened for Valpo. The Indianapolis tournament in Fall 1998 was like this. Valpo won both games and Indiana won both games. There was no award for a champion, if memory serves me correctly.

Note that Valpo was the only team not in a Power 6 conference in that tournament.

wh

wh

In regard to Joe's huge 3-pointer, Matt mentioned in the postgame that he told BE during a timeout prior to look for Joe, who was open from 3 on the previous play where BE drove the lane and missed. Then he told Joe, "You're a shooter. Don't ever put your gun away."  The rest is history.

bbtds

Quote from: justducky on November 25, 2017, 03:29:45 AM
Quote from: bbtds on November 25, 2017, 02:04:16 AM
Quote from: wh on November 24, 2017, 01:18:29 PM
My understanding is they decide alphabetically in descending order by first letter of the university name. If both universities begin with the same letter, the tie-breaker is first letter of the team name in ascending order. It appears to be well thought out and completely fair.
It's not really a tournament because it's not designed to have a clear cut winner. It is designed for like teams to play each other on home and neutral courts. SELA and Samford were put in a lower tier and therefore had to play Valpo at Valpo. Kent State, UNCW, Loyola and Valpo were put in a higher tier and therefore got to play each other on a neutral floor in Savannah, GA. Savannah, GA was picked as a site for this event because they could make money from the fans of the teams that came to Savannah to play. Loyola and Valpo did not play each other in Savannah because they are in the same conference (this conference pairing happened after the field was announced for this event) and so they paired up Valpo to play Kent State and UNCW. Although it would have been interesting if Valpo had played Loyola on a neutral court because both teams seem to be headed towards the top of the MVC as does UNI.
wh nailed it with his explanation while bbtds put me to sleep before I reached the second sen----- :snore:

What did you say? I must have fallen asleep.

VULB#62

VULB#62

Appeared that they cruised a bit easier than we did. Now we get to compare how we play against UNCW who LUC beat pretty easily.

VUGrad1314

VU2014

It sounds like we can't get anything done offensively. They are dominating us on the boards. UNCW is a terrible defensive team. This a lousy offensive thus far.

uncw 26, valpo 19 with 9min left in the 1st

VUGrad1314

Evelyn has done a nice job getting us back into the game with two big threes. 28-26 Wilmington

VUGrad1314

And just as I start to feel better we start playing like crap again. Let's get it together Valpo!

VU2014

Can someone at the game please tell our guys to stop fouling!? They've been to the foul line 16 times so far. UNCW isn't even shooting the ball well. Let's getting it going!

VUGrad1314

We are lucky to be down only 4. Just a horrible half of basketball. Hope coach Lottich can light a fire under them and their play improves dramatically.

jloose128

I can't quite understand it, but somehow this game is tied at the half.

VUGrad1314

Tied at 35 at the half. Could have been a lot worse. Good work by Golder and Bradford on the final possession. Defense (foul trouble aside) has been solid. Offensively, Evelyn appears to be the only bright spot thus far. Here's to a better second half! Go Valpo!