• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting 2021

Started by FWalum, March 15, 2018, 08:40:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

I am already intrigued by Keyondre. He's listed as a 6-8 SG, 1st team all-state. Even in this short video, you see he can score in a variety of ways - step-back 3, standing 3, turnaround jumper in the lane, stop-and-pop jumper. He also looks comfortable handling and advancing the ball. If that's not enough, he looks like he has the wingspan of Vashil Fernandez.

BTW the game highlighted was part of an early season invitational. He scored 27 points in their other game and was named to the all-tournament team.

VUGrad1314

Awesome. Hope it translates. Maybe he might be a small ball four or five. Could make for some interesting offensive options if he pans out.

VU2014

I think Chris Mantis is going to Drake. His announcement is coming today.

VU2014

Looks like App State. Good get for them. He's probably going to get early playing time there.  I'll be following his career

VUBBFan

Seems we have some good players coming next year.  This kid may be legit. He keeps come up with high lite reels

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/1340154895400374274

VU2014

Nick is a local kid (was one of the best local high school players in the area a few years ago) and Chris Mantis' older brother. I wonder if the coaches might think about offering him a preferred walk on role. Nick is the guy I'd target with a Kisser preferred walk on role. If Chris would ever decide to transfer from App State, it might be a nice recruiting tool to play with your older brother on the same team.

The only issue is that I imagine Nick wants to play (and get a scholarship) and that preferred walk on role, he'd need to battle for minutes. But with us being down a scholarship player with Nick, maybe he'd get a crack at playing if he could get instant eligibility which isn't likely. Just spit balling ideas. You need to look at the macro view and not just the stats on this one.

https://twitter.com/nmantis30/status/1355209792445362179?s=21

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on January 29, 2021, 02:23:54 PM
Nick is a local kid (was one of the best local high school players in the area a few years ago) and Chris Mantis' older brother. I wonder if the coaches might think about offering him a preferred walk on role. Nick is the guy I'd target with a Kisser preferred walk on role. If Chris would ever decide to transfer from App State, it might be a nice recruiting tool to play with your older brother on the same team.

The only issue is that I imagine Nick wants to play (and get a scholarship) and that preferred walk on role, he'd need to battle for minutes. But with us being down a scholarship player with Nick, maybe he'd get a crack at playing if he could get instant eligibility which isn't likely. Just spit balling ideas. You need to look at the macro view and not just the stats on this one.

https://twitter.com/nmantis30/status/1355209792445362179?s=21

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the worst time ever to transfer? Next year teams are already going to be overcapacity with some percentage of 5th year players returning. Also, I've never heard/read that scholarship players who decide not to return for a 5th season are replaceable. That's just one less scholarship in excess to have to fill and pay for with funds that don't exist.

wh

5 3-pointers in a recent game for our soon-to-be 6-8 2-guard Keyondre Young. Notice the distance!

https://www.maxpreps.com/m/athlete/keyondre-young/Od692fexEeeT-Oz0u-e-FA/videos.htm?videoid=9b402aeb-475b-4a8a-ba46-4ec76b6e8bb6

vok22

Seems like a lot of good recruiting news for us lately.

Cameron Palesse, averaging 36 ppg and over 50% from three, hit a game winning shot minutes ago per Paul Orens twitter.

Keyondre Young showing off the range, especially impressive for his size.

I also just realized that Trey Woodyard is now a 3 star recruit by 247 sports, ranked #10 in Ohio, and #65 at his position in the country.

valpo64

Where had Nick Mantis been attending school?  What year is he?   Size?  Position?

RS

What am I missing here about Mantis? i thought he was still in high school. Is he saying he made a mistake signing with Appalachian State? if so couldn't he just change his mind about the signing he made? This sounds a little odd to me

VUBBFan

Quote from: RS on January 30, 2021, 08:37:11 AMWhat am I missing here about Mantis? i thought he was still in high school. Is he saying he made a mistake signing with Appalachian State? if so couldn't he just change his mind about the signing he made? This sounds a little odd to me

We're talking about his brother Nick not Chris

JD24

Quote from: RS on January 30, 2021, 08:37:11 AMWhat am I missing here about Mantis? i thought he was still in high school. Is he saying he made a mistake signing with Appalachian State? if so couldn't he just change his mind about the signing he made? This sounds a little odd to me
Nick Mantis is the player in the transfer portal. He's at Cedarville U. Chris Mantis is still in HS and committed to App St.

valpo95

Quote from: valpo64 on January 30, 2021, 08:13:55 AM
Where had Nick Mantis been attending school?  What year is he?   Size?  Position?

Looks like Nick was a sophomore at Cedarville University (D2). 6'3", 205lbs guard. He was averaging 2.2 ppg, 1 rpg and 13mpg in six games this season. He did start for Cedarville's exhibition game against VU last year.

wh

Looking forward to the Darias DeAveiro show coming to town. He should be a lot of fun to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xAM39frdMA

vu72

If Darias  can shoot the three at better than 8% he is our guy!  ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

29 points, 6 rebounds, and a block for Keyondre in last night's 79-56 win. He also hit 4 3's, 2 of which came from downtown Del City:

http://www.hudl.com/v/2Ezrim

wh

I've done enough research and watched enough video that I'm beginning to believe that this may be Valpo's best ever recruiting class on paper. All 4 are top 10 players. Keyondre and Cameron are in competition for Mr. Basketball in their respective states. They all excel against big school competition. The competition for playing time next year is going to be fierce, and IMO this group will get its share.

vu72

Quote from: wh on January 31, 2021, 10:47:17 AM
I've done enough research and watched enough video that I'm beginning to believe that this may be Valpo's best ever recruiting class on paper. All 4 are top 10 players. Keyondre and Cameron are in competition for Mr. Basketball in their respective states. They all excel against big school competition. The competition for playing time next year is going to be fierce, and IMO this group will get its share.

Agreed.  Woodyard skipped his local high school and is playing for an elite (like top 20) prep school team. That's the same path Conner,  Goodnews and Sheldon all took.  Jacob, on the other hand didn't and as a result, though obviously talented, just isn't quit ready for regular minutes at the D1 level.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

Quote from: vu72 on January 31, 2021, 11:38:41 AM

Agreed.  Woodyard skipped his local high school and is playing for an elite (like top 20) prep school team. That's the same path Conner,  Goodnews and Sheldon all took.  Jacob, on the other hand didn't and as a result, though obviously talented, just isn't quit ready for regular minutes at the D1 level.

Interesting point. Playing against higher competition probably did help them to a degree.

With JO it's interesting. Definitely has shown glimpses but when it comes to defense and rebounding he's still adjusting. He was always the biggest guy on the court in high school and that's no longer the case.

I'm not down on JO but he needs to get stronger (really hit the weight room  in the offseason) and work with Coach Gore. He's not a traditional big guy but he needs to focus on fundamentals. He will be the strongest, fastest or most athletic but I needs to improve on the fundamentals to sure up his rebounding and defense

valpotx

Doubtful on the best ever recruiting class.  Unless it becomes a top 25 ranked class, they aren't surpassing one of the classes while I was in school.  As you said, on paper.
"Don't mess with Texas"