• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MVC Hoops: 2018-19

Started by VU2014, April 13, 2018, 03:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NativeCheesehead

While a budget size twice the next biggest may not equate to year over year supremacy, my guess is if that remains the case over a decade or more you'd see some serious separation. If nothing else it puts their coaches in front of more recruits each and every year.

And really it's less about the $$$ as it is about the commitment. Loyola's administration has backed up their verbal commitment to athletics with tangible action.

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteA more interesting question is "what are they spending it on?" Their spending is a huge outlier versus the rest of the conference, though it is pretty clear that they are not head and shoulders above the rest of the conference (like Gonzaga is in the WCC).

A chunk of it is on Moser's new contract, but most of the rest just started this year. If they continue to spend like that above the rest of the league year after year, they absolutely will eventually dominate the Valley like that. The correlation on this point is pretty clear at the mid-major level.

valpo84

Interesting article online at the Cleveland Plain Dealer about University of Akron's athletic budget and how much has to be subsidized by students and the institution.  For what one might ask.  Does spending $34 million help Akron's rankings, curb appeal or name recognition?  They do have a nationally successful soccer team, though.

BTW, Chris "Spuds" Sabo was recently hired to help return a baseball team.  Spuds played with Barry Larkin at Michigan for Bud Middaugh (that's for TX).

https://www.cleveland.com/datacentral/2019/03/how-university-of-akron-raised-and-spent-money-on-sports-in-2017-2018.html?utm_source=akron-morning-roundup&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20190312&utm_content=article10-readmore
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

crusadermoe

Precisely why SLU should get smart and accept an MVC invite.

VU2014

Quote from: crusadermoe on March 12, 2019, 03:52:22 PM

They're holding out for that Big east invite. If the be starts poaching other A10 programs and weakens that league the MVC might become more attractive for them. Another reason SLU values the A10 is because it's considered a more "national" conference that raises their profile and helps them attract students from the east coast. How much it truly does is up for debate.

bbtds

Quote from: crusadermoe on March 12, 2019, 03:52:22 PM

It's interesting. I ate lunch at a BBQ place near the SLU campus on Friday and the talk among the SLU fans at the restaurant after they saw from the Valpo apparel I was wearing and some of the other MVC fans gear that we were attending Arch Madness was that with teams like Valpo, Indiana State, Evansville and without Wichita State that the MVC is down this year and may stay that way with the A10 holding serve and the Big East on an up swing. To each their own point of view. I don't think you will see SLU joining the MVC anytime soon.

elephtheria47

I think the general consensus among college bball fans is that the MVC is down and this season confirms that in their mind. That's why it's important that this year is an anomaly and not the new norm. I would agree the A10 is holding steady (but down year in college basketball overall)...be interesting to see how they increase/decrease over the next few years. Big East also had a down year but remaining relevant. I think theyll at least keep their status over the next few years, if not increase it.

valpo64

With the Big East having a down year and Butler finishing tied for last, I suppose it is time to get rid of coach LaValle at BU.  Some of you are brutal on ML. Every word he speaks is analyzed, scrutinized,  and with  some reading between the lines, the guy doesn't stand a chance  to be successful in your minds.  Maybe we should focus our efforts on getting rid of B. Drew at Vandy.  After all he left our program in less than desirable circumstances and now he finishes 0 for 2019, losing his last 19 games of this season.  Some of  us almost appear to be heading toward a So. Illinois fans vs, B. Hinson situation.  Or maybe we should campaign for P.Moser's departure.  After all, he gets to the Final Four and was supposed to win the MVC again and then gets beat in the Conference semi finals and most likely will not get in the Tourney.  Enough is enough because as good of a coach as he is it has been 6 or 7 years and Loyola is still not a National power.  If some of you want that immediate success and conference domination like we used to have in the HL and Summit, why don't  you campaign to return to  that type of competitive conference affiliation.  One more thought, Mark Few should be fired at Gonzaga.  After all he beats a team(St. Mary's) by 48 points a few weeks ago then gets beat in their Conference Championship game.  Time to chill folks.

vu72

Quote from: valpo64 on March 13, 2019, 01:56:39 PM
With the Big East having a down year and Butler finishing tied for last, I suppose it is time to get rid of coach LaValle at BU.  Some of you are brutal on ML. Every word he speaks is analyzed, scrutinized,  and with  some reading between the lines, the guy doesn't stand a chance  to be successful in your minds.  Maybe we should focus our efforts on getting rid of B. Drew at Vandy.  After all he left our program in less than desirable circumstances and now he finishes 0 for 2019, losing his last 19 games of this season.  Some of  us almost appear to be heading toward a So. Illinois fans vs, B. Hinson situation.  Or maybe we should campaign for P.Moser's departure.  After all, he gets to the Final Four and was supposed to win the MVC again and then gets beat in the Conference semi finals and most likely will not get in the Tourney.  Enough is enough because as good of a coach as he is it has been 6 or 7 years and Loyola is still not a National power.  If some of you want that immediate success and conference domination like we used to have in the HL and Summit, why don't  you campaign to return to  that type of competitive conference affiliation.  One more thought, Mark Few should be fired at Gonzaga.  After all he beats a team(St. Mary's) by 48 points a few weeks ago then gets beat in their Conference Championship game.  Time to chill folks.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUGrad1314

There's a difference between having a down year (Butler Loyola) Having a bad game (Gonzaga) and being terrible on offense without a guy who left three years ago. Bryce MIGHT get fired. And those of us who want to see the team compete ASAP in the MVC would NEVER campaign for a return to a lesser conference That's insane. Been there done that. Now it's time to put the infrastructure in place (and it will take more than the Drews this time) to compete at this level. Nobody's looking for 6 titles in a row That's insane at this level unless you're spending $6million a year like Wichita State was. We just want our team to contend  not be a drag and a bottom feeder and to not piss away home games. That's not that much to ask.

Missouri State

Drake

Loyola

Indiana State

Evansville

All home games we could hav/should have won. I'd say by subjecting us to losses each time Matt was brutal on us first.

bbtds

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 13, 2019, 03:29:31 PMAnd those of us who want to see the team compete ASAP in the MVC would NEVER campaign for a return to a lesser conference That's insane.

And yet that is what we are asking Saint Louis to do join a lesser conference just because they fit the footprint of the league. Valpo is right in the middle of the HL footprint and if IUPUI wanted us back in the HL we should go back to the HL?

valpo84

To me, the A14 is essentially the East Coast version of the MVC with a few programs (Fordham, Umass and Lasalle) that have seen their better days.  (BTW, this is the conference to restart a challenge with.)  Plus, as to other sports, is the A14 better than MVC?  SLU from a cost, geographic base and other factors/sports would be better off in the MVC.  But, that's from a certain perspective.  SLU has affinity with the Catholics and privates in the A14, and the A14 programs (like the MVC) have had some great NCAA tourney teams and players.  I like the A10, but if I was SLU the MVC provides a number of more natural/geographic rivalries, reduces my athletic budget costs, and probably (if I think we should be better) improved chances of going to the Dance.  Frankly, bring Dayton and SLU to the MVC and suddenly the MVC becomes a really fun conference.  SLU fans should appreciate a SLU/SIUC or SLU/MoST game better than going to SLU-Fordham.  Dayton-Valpo is an better draw than Dayton-Lasalle in mid-Feb.  SLU-EVille and SLU-Loyola revive the old MCC rivalries.  Dayton and SLU improve the quality of the baseball in the MVC, too (for TX)
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

bbtds

I asked on the SLU message board Billikens.com the reasoning why SLU would not accept an invite to the Valley. Mostly what I got was unintelligent answers and irritation at the same topic being discussed over and over. Here are two of the best answers once some of the more intelligent ones saw the thread.

Missouri Valley is a one bid league. It's the only solid reasoning I need. Don't come to our message board, ask us a question we've been asked  a million times, and then get mad at us for being annoyed with you. You aren't new to this board, you know all of this.

Yea it is pretty simple as 05 said, the goal for SLU every year should be to get into the tournament.  The tournament means more money and more exposure for the school and the program.  The path to get to the tournament is better in the A10 that has gotten at least 3 teams in for years compared to the MVC that only gets one team in.  SLU should only look at conference moves that improve their chances at getting in the tournament or at least keeps them the same, not decreasing them which a move to the MVC would do.

I'm sure there will be more.

EDIT: One more comment that isn't from a doofus.

MVC has had a lot of turnover and the turnover was good teams like Wichita State, and Creighton leaving the MVC so why did those teams move on because they moved to better conferences.  The A10 > MVC can anyone in that part of Indiana understand that?

In the non conference I wish the Billikens would schedule more MVC teams like Illinois State, Northern Iowa, Bradley, Indiana State, Valpo, Loyola I am not interested in anyone else and more importantly I am not interested in playing in a conference with them.

The A10 gets multiple tournament bids why go to the MVC where there is not chance at an at large bid.  SLU has gotten at large bids in the A10 so I do not understand the why they don't understand.

The best fit for SLU is the big east, that is a conference with the same type of schools.  Next for SLU would be the AAC where I think SLU will end up one day.

I will look for your post at the end of next season.

bigmosmithfan1

He's not entirely wrong, though there is a chance the A-10 could end up being a one-bid league, as well. But 3 bids in a 14 team league is significantly better than being in a one-bid, 10, 11 or 12 team league. Let's even say that SLU was one of the ten. Well, that basically takes your odds of being a tourney team from 10% to 21.5% in any given year. That's huge.

VUGrad1314

PlumStreetBum

Quote from: bbtds on March 12, 2019, 11:27:10 PM
I ate lunch at a BBQ place near the SLU campus on Friday

Mmmm, Pappy's

bbtds

Quote from: PlumStreetBum on March 15, 2019, 07:14:53 AM
Quote from: bbtds on March 12, 2019, 11:27:10 PM
I ate lunch at a BBQ place near the SLU campus on Friday

Mmmm, Pappy's

Yes, it was Pappy's. An excellent place for St Louis style bbq on Olive just east of the SLU campus.

VUGrad1314

Positively shameful and embarrassing stuff from Bradley... Wardle really might be the thin skinned douche so many on here believe him to be.

https://www.pjstar.com/sports/20190315/cleve-in-eve-bu-disgraces-itself-telling-longtime-pjs-beat-writer-you-dont-promote-bradley-brand

VUGrad1314

I propose that "Free Dave Reynolds" and "First Amendment" chants rain down from the fans at the ARC  the next time Bradley comes to the ARC.

vu84v2

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 15, 2019, 11:06:51 PM
Positively shameful and embarrassing stuff from Bradley... Wardle really might be the thin skinned douche so many on here believe him to be.

https://www.pjstar.com/sports/20190315/cleve-in-eve-bu-disgraces-itself-telling-longtime-pjs-beat-writer-you-dont-promote-bradley-brand

I guess that this type of stuff happens at other (and probably larger) schools, with coverage by individuals in the media not allowed to cover a team if they are perceived as negative. Still, I agree that Wardle and the Bradley athletic department are complete thin-skinned jerks for restricting access of any reporter from an established media source.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: vu84v2 on March 15, 2019, 11:45:37 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 15, 2019, 11:06:51 PMPositively shameful and embarrassing stuff from Bradley... Wardle really might be the thin skinned douche so many on here believe him to be. https://www.pjstar.com/sports/20190315/cleve-in-eve-bu-disgraces-itself-telling-longtime-pjs-beat-writer-you-dont-promote-bradley-brand
I guess that this type of stuff happens at other (and probably larger) schools, with coverage by individuals in the media not allowed to cover a team if they are perceived as negative. Still, I agree that Wardle and the Bradley athletic department are complete thin-skinned jerks for restricting access of any reporter from an established media source.

Especially a reporter of Reynolds caliber Total abuse of power. Though (allegedly) Wardle knows a thing or two about abuse.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/horizon/2013/04/30/wisconsin-green-bay-brian-wardle-abuse-allegations-ryan-bross/2123569/

NativeCheesehead

VULB#62

Quote from: vu84v2 on March 15, 2019, 11:45:37 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 15, 2019, 11:06:51 PM

It's a product and reflction of our current times.  :(

Valpo89

As a former sports writer, I'm outraged but not surprised.

I've said it before here, Wardle is an ass. That is now confirmed.

If I was still writing, and wrote the truth about this year's Valpo team, I'd probably be banned too. :)