• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs Illinois State - 1/2

Started by VU2010, December 29, 2018, 09:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbleopinion

Quote from: valpotx on January 04, 2019, 03:50:21 AM
In retrospect, why in the world didn't Muller at least have 2 players to contest that FT rebound?  They could have easily eaten into the 2.9 seconds on a miss, just in doing such a thing.

I'm sure that in this case, there was a fear of fouling while trying to rebound, which would put Valpo on the free throw line for the win.  I would guess that given the odds of Valpo rebounding and then sinking a half court heave, positioning the team away from making a mistake under the basket seemed to be the better choice.  I have always been baffled that Kampe does this regardless of the time on the clock.  I'll never forget Joaquim Gomes giving up a rebound on a free throw allowing ORU to win a tournament game.
Beamin' Beacons

talksalot

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on January 03, 2019, 07:39:16 PMIt's marketing fodder.  Identities aren't defined by words...but actions. 

If you missed the connection... the Ill St game was "Duneland Chamber of Commerce Night"... Duneland being "Chesterton"... thus, the Band, Choirs, half-time middle-school team...

Just received my invitation to come to the 1/19 game against Northern Iowa as "Valparaiso Chamber Day at the ARC" (3pm start)... $12.50 chairbacks if ordered by 1/9...

bbtds

Quote from: humbleopinion on January 04, 2019, 06:52:27 AM
I have always been baffled that Kampe does this regardless of the time on the clock.  I'll never forget Joaquim Gomes giving up a rebound on a free throw allowing ORU to win a tournament game.

Still does it after all these years. Last night I watched NKU at Oakland and almost thought I would see another miracle but Drew McDonald(NKU) missed his 3/4 court heave with the Norse down 2 with 0.7 seconds on the clock. BTW, the Grizz FT shooter missed the FT on purpose hit the back of the rim with Oakland rebounders contesting for the rebound (Kampe puts his rebounders on the line when it comes down to end of games) but holding back so as to not foul. McDonald's shot was very short. It would have been really sweet to see OU go down on one of those miracle plays.

wh

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on January 03, 2019, 07:39:16 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on January 03, 2019, 11:43:46 AM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on January 03, 2019, 11:26:20 AM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on January 03, 2019, 09:20:19 AM
Quote from: vusupporter on January 03, 2019, 09:06:00 AM
Quote from: oklahomamick on January 03, 2019, 08:33:41 AMWe didn't used to have to win by grit.  We won by skill and better teamwork.
We also used to play in the Horizon League, not the Missouri Valley Conference.
Bingo. Literally every successful MVC team I've ever seen that has won in the tournament from Wichita State to UNI to Bradley to SIU to Loyola has been marked by its grit. There is no glory without grit in the MVC. Grit is what allows this league to consistently challenge and beat P5 schools. The MVC embodies the axiom "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." Now I believe that we have a talented team, even if the results are inconsistent, and when talent and grit come together on the same team, then you can see some truly special things happen (See: Loyola last year and 2013 Wichita State.) We are heading in the right direction as long as we never lose sight of what got us this win. When our talent catches up to our grit, we could be in for a historic year.
Anyone else starting to dislike the word "grit" besides me?

Why? This team needed an identity. Now it might have one. That's not a bad thing. Do you think Wichita State fans get tired of Play Angry? Probably not because that's part of who they are. If grit\gritty becomes our central identity\rallying cry\unifying principle then so be it. Having an identity surely beats the alternative.

It's marketing fodder.  Identities aren't defined by words...but actions.  There's a reason why marketing and advertising are the first to go during a down turn in the business world.  It's all fluff...

Simply put, if we produce an inferior product no amount of marketing can save VU.  He can challenge his players any way he cares to, but I'm not walking around like a tool espousing "Grit" as a victory cry.  Some might say determination and effort ("grit" if you care) is simply the price of entry into the world of NCAA D1 college athletic scholarship.

In other news, I was listening to the game on the plane ride home last night and no play-by-play could do justice to the crisp nature of our play.  Now THAT was fun to watch for much of the game!!!  Go VU

Marketing is an indispensable business function. The fact that ownership has more discretion over how and when to spend marketing dollars in no way makes it "fluff."

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: wh on January 04, 2019, 06:21:22 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on January 03, 2019, 07:39:16 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on January 03, 2019, 11:43:46 AM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on January 03, 2019, 11:26:20 AM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on January 03, 2019, 09:20:19 AM
Quote from: vusupporter on January 03, 2019, 09:06:00 AM
Quote from: oklahomamick on January 03, 2019, 08:33:41 AMWe didn't used to have to win by grit.  We won by skill and better teamwork.
We also used to play in the Horizon League, not the Missouri Valley Conference.
Bingo. Literally every successful MVC team I've ever seen that has won in the tournament from Wichita State to UNI to Bradley to SIU to Loyola has been marked by its grit. There is no glory without grit in the MVC. Grit is what allows this league to consistently challenge and beat P5 schools. The MVC embodies the axiom "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." Now I believe that we have a talented team, even if the results are inconsistent, and when talent and grit come together on the same team, then you can see some truly special things happen (See: Loyola last year and 2013 Wichita State.) We are heading in the right direction as long as we never lose sight of what got us this win. When our talent catches up to our grit, we could be in for a historic year.
Anyone else starting to dislike the word "grit" besides me?

Why? This team needed an identity. Now it might have one. That's not a bad thing. Do you think Wichita State fans get tired of Play Angry? Probably not because that's part of who they are. If grit\gritty becomes our central identity\rallying cry\unifying principle then so be it. Having an identity surely beats the alternative.

It's marketing fodder.  Identities aren't defined by words...but actions.  There's a reason why marketing and advertising are the first to go during a down turn in the business world.  It's all fluff...

Simply put, if we produce an inferior product no amount of marketing can save VU.  He can challenge his players any way he cares to, but I'm not walking around like a tool espousing "Grit" as a victory cry.  Some might say determination and effort ("grit" if you care) is simply the price of entry into the world of NCAA D1 college athletic scholarship.

In other news, I was listening to the game on the plane ride home last night and no play-by-play could do justice to the crisp nature of our play.  Now THAT was fun to watch for much of the game!!!  Go VU

Marketing is an indispensable business function. The fact that ownership has more discretion over how and when to spend marketing dollars in no way makes it "fluff."

Point taken about its business function, I don't contend that it's necessary in doses and at measured times.

When I state "fluff" I should have clarified, I'm referring to the use of gimmicky slogans like "grit" to external parts of the program such as the fan base etc.  I felt the conversation went off the rails when posters made recommendations like t-shirts with that slogan for fan purchase etc

My frustration is with the cheer leading types that think t-shirts and catchy slogans are going to bring VU to relevance in the new conference.  WE NEED RESULTS, not slogans and t-shirts.  However Lottich wants to do that behind closed doors is good by me, but count me and countless others out of "grit" printed t-shirts...

VUGrad1314

Quote from: talksalot on January 04, 2019, 07:42:01 AM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on January 03, 2019, 07:39:16 PMIt's marketing fodder.  Identities aren't defined by words...but actions.
If you missed the connection... the Ill St game was "Duneland Chamber of Commerce Night"... Duneland being "Chesterton"... thus, the Band, Choirs, half-time middle-school team... Just received my invitation to come to the 1/19 game against Northern Iowa as "Valparaiso Chamber Day at the ARC" (3pm start)... $12.50 chairbacks if ordered by 1/9...

Are we planning to do this for other area towns? (Portage Laporte Michigan City Hobart Merrillville Schererville StJohn Griffith Hammond Highland Gary Dyer Knox North Judson Rensselaer Kouts New Carlisle Rolling Prairie Maybe even New Buffalo MI?)

I think these chamber events are great for building regional fan interest and exposure  and possibly for current and future recruiting. We should expand them as much as possible.

bbtds

Quotecount me and countless others out of "grit" printed t-shirts... :snore:

"You have a problem with my t-shirt"