• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Turn back the clock

Started by usc4valpo, January 03, 2019, 03:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

The 1984 game against Green Bay when in an uninspiring 35-33 win was when I lost complete respect for Tom Smith destroying the beauty of the sport. We had many an argument over that game.

bbtds

Back in the late 70's/early 80's there was a coach at Hammond Noll who used to stall the whole game until the defenders practically fell asleep and then they would finally take a shot. One of their games ended 10-4, with Noll being the winning team. It was an extremely boring game with possessions going 3 to 4 minutes each.

VULB#62

Thank you for that.  ;D

Back in HS, my coach required any shot from outside 15' to be a Set Shot (God rest his soul). We were also required to take all FTs underhand (ala Rick Barry). Say what you want, I ended my sr. year with a 78% FT percentage.

What a hoot.

IndyValpo

I love the idea. I was a freshman year two of D1 with Rochlitz the coach. We were pretty bad but I loved the short walk from Dau. Also saw the Michael Stanley Band open for REO at Hilltop. The beginning of 40 years of following MSB now simply Michael Stanley. He still
occasionally performs in Cleveland and puts out new music yearly.

VULB#62

You mention REO. I remember every year at Homecoming we would have headline talent "for the time" (Kingston Trio, Julie London to name two I can remember). Where has that gone?  [Facilities Alert] Maybe if we had a facility that could support acts like that, NW Indiana would have a place to go for tbat sort of thing. In Green Bay it is the Resch Center. I've been to many non-basketball events there. The metro area around GB is 300K. I wonder what the metro area in NW Indiana is?

valpotx

I remember Run DMC and Lifehouse during my time on campus.
"Don't mess with Texas"

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 06, 2019, 12:29:16 AM
You mention REO. I remember every year at Homecoming we would have headline talent "for the time" (Kingston Trio, Julie London to name two I can remember). Where has that gone?  [Facilities Alert] Maybe if we had a facility that could support acts like that, NW Indiana would have a place to go for tbat sort of thing. In Green Bay it is the Resch Center. I've been to many non-basketball events there. The metro area around GB is 300K. I wonder what the metro area in NW Indiana is?

I would think it's mostly about seating capacity (due to ticket sales).  I'm not certain it's lucrative for us knowing that 5,000 seats is about as big as any rennovated ARC should hold.

Also, most venues / show organizers have to guarantee "x" number of ticket sales...with our ability to fill seats of late, what's the rush here? 🤷🏻‍♂️🤪🤷🏻‍♂️

P.S.  Lifehouse concert was fun, the football team worked it and I operated one of the spot lights from the mezzanine!  That was enjoyable.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: valpotx on January 06, 2019, 02:22:28 AM

Was Run DMC your freshman year?  I don't recall seeing them during my time.  I think Lifehouse was our freshman year and then no other real concert after that.

I recall Ben Folds doing a "thing" at the student union but that had to be tiny (winter time).  Think he had "just" broken off from his band Ben Folds Five..

crusader05

The University still does the concert in the spring. My freshman year they had life house, Ben Folds came by junior year and Something Corporate came my senior year. I know they have had Guster and Dashboard Confessional and then bands I don't know cause i'm old. The headliners are pretty geared towards the students (although they had Barenaked Ladies at Homecoming several years ago to kick off the Forever Valpo Campaign).

They've moved to have it outside if possible and it is now free for students. The last year they had 3 artists and it's one of the more popular things that happens on campus. The President's office donates part of it's budget every year to cover any costs needed to keep it free for the students.

usc4valpo

Michael Stanley Band sucked. Bring in Morris Day and the Time!

valpotx

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on January 06, 2019, 05:13:27 AM
Quote from: valpotx on January 06, 2019, 02:22:28 AM

Was Run DMC your freshman year?  I don't recall seeing them during my time.  I think Lifehouse was our freshman year and then no other real concert after that.

I recall Ben Folds doing a "thing" at the student union but that had to be tiny (winter time).  Think he had "just" broken off from his band Ben Folds Five..

Yes, I seem to remember Run DMC during my FR year, which was the 1999-2000 year.  It was only attended by around 100 students, whereas Lifehouse was much more packed.
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

Perhaps George Clinton and the Mothership can land and lead the Crusaders to victory.

bbtds

Anyone remember Harry Chapin in the late 70's?

His son came along on the tour which gave some poignant meaning to the song "Cats in the Cradle."

valpo84

For Michael Stanley fans, Michael Stanley & the Resonators will be playing in "my town" at the Akron Civic Theatre on March 2. 

https://wncx.radio.com/events/michael-stanley-resonators-coming-akron-civic-theater

Don't recall any concerts while we were on campus, unless you count the live band outside Lambda Chi Spring Weekends, but there were the all-campus boxing championships and the Chicago Bears Charity Basketball game with Hampton, Wilson and others.  Those were held in Hilltop.

"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

IndyValpo

Quote from: bbtds on January 07, 2019, 06:12:17 AM
Anyone remember Harry Chapin in the late 70's?

His son came along on the tour which gave some poignant meaning to the song "Cats in the Cradle."
Yep he showed up at Theta Chi l believe after the show.
Besides REO/MSB, the Outlaws played Hilltop as did a Canadian band named Wireless while I was there.

vu72

From my time on campus, I recall seeing Victor Borge and the 5th Dimension at Homecoming concerts and the Temptations as well.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

Was anybody else at the Bob Dylan concert in the ARC? When my girlfriend and I showed up, we noticed the band roadies had moved a speaker right between our seats and the stage, pretty much blocking the view; so I spoke to an usher, and we were given seats in the front row.

FWalum

I started Valpo as a Music major (ended with a Business Admin and Marketing degree took me a little longer than 4 years because not much of my first 2 years translated over to Business) and as far as contemporary music I was and still am a huge progressive rock fan. Imagine how excited I was when at the beginning of my freshman year the Hilltop concert was KANSAS! it was unbelievable to be seated in Hilltop and hear them open up with Song For America. Really cool to hear Robby Steinhardt, a classically trained violinist, playing with a rock band. https://youtu.be/sMok_uHFb7g
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VUGrad1314

Wow! So cool! Those were top notch acts of the time! Amazing that they played in Valpo. Makes me wish I had been around in the 70's.

nkvu

Judy Collins fall of 1969. Kenny Rogers while he was still with his band The First Edition in the spring of 1970 right after Kent State and Kinsey? Hall burning down (don't recall if they ever proved it was arson) on old campus. They donated their pay back to the university. I believe the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band did a concert with Jonathan Edwards while I was there if I remember correctly.

As for Harry Chapin, my first date with my wife was a Harry Chapin Concert in Cincinnati December 3, 1979. A memorable date for me, but Cincinnati remembers it more as the date several concert goers were killed when the crowd rushed the gate for open seating at a concert given by The Who at the coliseum.

talksalot

Head East... with warm up group:  Kansas

and of course:   Sha Na Na !!

usc4valpo

Bring Primus in and let Claypool go to work.

humbleopinion

The Byrds played Hilltop in the late sixties. Shades of Night opened for them.
Beamin' Beacons

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteThe 1984 game against Green Bay when in an uninspiring 35-33 win was when I lost complete respect for Tom Smith destroying the beauty of the sport. We had many an argument over that game.

I remember that game as well. That was when many, many teams around the country started playing "slow-down" offense or the Four Corners, which is a big reason the NCAA added the shot clock shortly thereafter. However, I remember celebrating the heck out of this win, because wins were a rare and precious thing for the Crusaders at the time. (I remember the GB player rattling out a half-court shot that would have tied the game at the buzzer).

vu84v2

I was also at the 35-33 win against Green Bay. That game made it clear that a shot clock was needed.

Another infamous game in the early 80s was when Valpo beat Bradley and Bradley finished with four players. Was there for that one too.

The better memories (in person) came a little later - starting with the Notre Dame upset and followed by the conference championship game in 1995 and many more.