• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Turn back the clock

Started by usc4valpo, January 03, 2019, 03:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteUniversity of Iliinois - Chicago Circle, home of the Chicas

You are correct! But they also used "Circle" as a nickname for a couple of years. Also, the spelling was changed to "Chikas" by the time of the first meeting with VU. "Chicas" was the original nickname which was an abbreviation of Chicago and supposed to be pronounced "Shick-as" but most people pronounced it like the Spanish word for girls. The spelling was changed in order to help eliminate the confusion but it didn't, so they just switched over to "Circle." When UICC and the UI Medical Campus merged, the school dropped "Circle" from the university name and became "UIC" and a student vote came up with the new nickname of "Flames."

usc4valpo

Basketball reference is wrong  - it is 1981-82

FWalum

Turned back the clock tonight by going to the ORU vs PFW game.  ORU came in tied for first in the SL with PFW at 3-0 and left humiliated after a 94-69 thrashing at the hands of the Mastodons.

John Konchar is a delight to watch and one of the most complete players in the country.  His stat-line tonight: 8-12 from the field, 3-6 from 3 for 21 points, 8 rebounds, 5 assists and 4 steals playing 31 minutes.

Just to give an idea how he would compare to Alec Peters' career numbers... barring injury Konchar will probably end his career with 170 more rebounds, 300 more assists, 150 more steals and 30 more blocks than AP, while scoring close to 2100 points or about 250 fewer points than Alec .
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VUGrad1314

Can't wait for them to take their place in the HL more regional and recognizable teams should help PFW in the attendance column.

usc4valpo

Regarding a turn back the clock game, it's unfortunate that Valpo could not face Marquette, where they can wear 70's untucked jersey. The moronic NCAA would never allow it...

valpo84

1981--Craig Maass versus Marquette and Glenn "Doc" Rivers
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

usc4valpo

I was there for that game at the MECCA. Al Hudson had some killer dunks in that game.

covufan

Quote from: valpo84 on January 07, 2019, 08:31:09 AM
For Michael Stanley fans, Michael Stanley & the Resonators will be playing in "my town" at the Akron Civic Theatre on March 2. 

https://wncx.radio.com/events/michael-stanley-resonators-coming-akron-civic-theater

Don't recall any concerts while we were on campus, unless you count the live band outside Lambda Chi Spring Weekends, but there were the all-campus boxing championships and the Chicago Bears Charity Basketball game with Hampton, Wilson and others.  Those were held in Hilltop.
Armory parties?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

usc4valpo

I was at the Michael Stanley band concert in 1981. A unique and fun night. The sad part was that the student fund lost big money that night due to lack of predicted attendance, and I learn much about Valpo student government cronyism which benefitted my life education.

Ryanharden

Do any of you have pictures of rob?