• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #19 UNI at the ARC 1/19/19 3pm

Started by VUSWIM08-12, January 18, 2019, 12:34:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Quote from: M on January 19, 2019, 07:48:39 AM
Haven't climbed out of my warm bed yet but I'm hearing the roads aren't very good this morning. Probably going to keep the community at home.

I've been out and about for the past hour. Pretty nasty. Maybe 2-4" accumulation of wet, heavy snow, and still snowing. Some drifting on county roads. Snow is supposed to stop about midday. Streets and lots should be plowed long before game time. Just looks like winter in NWI, but I agree it will probably keep some people at home, maybe even some older regulars.

FieldGoodie05

Haven't climbed out of my warm bed yet but I'm hearing the roads aren't very good this morning. Probably going to keep the community at home.

Makes the trip from Schaumburg less appealing today...still might try it yet.  Though my trip may be easier than St Joes MI (fellow alum) who might be getting lake effect. 

Personally I don't get the hatred for casual fans that don't want to deal with the snow / horrible parking situation at the ARC.  I strongly disagree with bashing ppl for not going to a game where the weather blows.  Compounded by the fact that parking in ideal weather barely exists, combine that with lack luster snow plowing and you've got "the perfect storm" for days like this.

M

That's great! I was hoping people were just being dramatic about road conditions.

wh

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on January 19, 2019, 08:06:05 AM

Makes the trip from Schaumburg less appealing today...still might try it yet.  Though my trip may be easier than St Joes MI (fellow alum) who might be getting lake effect. 

Personally I don't get the hatred for casual fans that don't want to deal with the snow / horrible parking situation at the ARC.  I strongly disagree with bashing ppl for not going to a game where the weather blows.  Compounded by the fact that parking in ideal weather barely exists, combine that with lack luster snow plowing and you've got "the perfect storm" for days like this.

Far be it for me to tell someone else what to do, but if you were one of my children 80 miles away, at this point I migjt suggest that you sit this one out in the comfort of your home/apt. That said, there's still a lot of time to decide. Things could clear up.

VUBBFan

The ARC is ready for this Afternoon.

https://twitter.com/jordanbernfield/status/1086642916364304384

Look close in the pictures and you can see Ryan still wearing the boot.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: wh on January 19, 2019, 08:23:39 AM

Far be it for me to tell someone else what to do, but if you were one of my children 80 miles away, at this point I migjt suggest that you sit this one out in the comfort of your home/apt. That said, there's still a lot of time to decide. Things could clear up.

Traveling for a living combined with few weekend home games means "it's on".  Put her in 4-wheel drive and listen to a good audiobook!

NativeCheesehead

A thought on the giveaways:
These are really great ideas. But I wish they executed them a little better. The Jersey giveaway for example. Half of them will go to the older crowd who arrives early, who will never wear them.(not saying they shouldn't take one, I realize they get passed to kids and grandkids.) Most of the rest go to students who grab them and don't stay for the game. At the last jersey giveaway I saw so many students leaving as I arrived I thought the building was on fire.

These are meant to entice people who otherwise wouldn't come to a game (and whose money you don't already have) to show up. If Valpo Guy A brings his son to the game to get a jersey, takes forever to find parking, sees students running out with jerseys, and his kid doesn't get one, that's not a very positive experience.

My suggestion would be for next year to do 1,000 jerseys in children's sizes and make it a 16 and under giveaway. Maybe do a separate giveaway at a different game for Vu students only to bring out a crowd.

VALPO LI

1: Score 68-62 Valpo.  UNI has kept it close in conference play (except for the Bradley Game)
2: UNI over 60.8 pts but not by much.
3: Attendance 2,373 even with a victory bell give away.
4: Student section over 50% full because the Pikes will attend.
5: 16 g-signs (gritty).  Unless the 5 students wearing Valpo on their chest from the last home game are brothers of Pike.
Shine on Vu

crusadermoe

That's B.S. that students take the jerseys and leave.    Scum.

There must be a way to make them stay by giving out with student ID through 10 min into game and then keep them after the game by showing student IDs. after 5 minutes left in the game.  Anything less really ticks me off!  They already get free admission with no skin in the game.

M

Today's giveaway is first 500 families I'm told. You get a voucher on the way in and pick up the giveaway after the game on the way out.

may know

How bad the snow and roads are seems to vary this storm around. Roads where I'm at are pretty bad but I'll make it.

A win here would have the extra benefit of sticking it to the UNItard who's the most delusional and self-unaware poster in the league.

VALPO LI

Perhaps they get passed out during timeouts and half time.  The crusderetts can walk up and down the aisle with a focusing on little ones during one time out, students during another etc...
Shine on Vu

VUBBFan

Quote from: M on January 19, 2019, 11:30:47 AMToday's giveaway is first 500 families I'm told. You get a voucher on the way in and pick up the giveaway after the game on the way out.

[tweet]1086673634721189888[/tweet]

M

Says fans, I've heard that's an error (but maybe that person was wrong) and should say families. Just a heads up.

bbtds

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on January 19, 2019, 10:27:22 AM
Quote from: wh on January 19, 2019, 08:23:39 AM

Traveling for a living combined with few weekend home games means "it's on".  Put her in 4-wheel drive and listen to a good audiobook!

Exactly. It's a sign of the changes. With less periods of severe weather in the midwest when some periods of snow happen people are less likely to want to deal with it because they feel it will go away.

I will say that putting your life on hold due to some somewhat tricky snowfall just makes you a dull person. Get out and enjoy what life has to offer. It leads to good stories for when you are sitting around the house, bar, campfire, etc.

VUBBFan

Quote from: bbtds on January 19, 2019, 12:43:17 PMI will say that putting your life on hold due to some somewhat tricky snowfall just makes you a dull person. Get out and enjoy what life has to offer. It leads to good stories for when you are sitting around the house, bar, campfire, etc.

Yeah, I agree.

One time  -  At Band Camp - It snowed so hard we .....

hckjag

Quote from: humbleopinion on January 19, 2019, 08:00:38 AM

Less than three inches at my house.  It would be sad if that would discourage people for venturing out.

Coming from south suburbs of Chicago to Valpo currently. Expressways and tollways have been nothing but wet. Typically ride into town down 130 but instead taking the tollway to 49 to avoid any issues and so far road conditions have been great! Hopefully most people still venture out. Looking forward to the game

justducky

Quote from: bbtds on January 19, 2019, 12:43:17 PMI will say that putting your life on hold due to some somewhat tricky snowfall just makes you a dull person. Get out and enjoy what life has to offer. It leads to good stories for when you are sitting around the house, bar, campfire, etc.

That is a bold statement considering your accident was I believe weather related?

Southern Lake County not as bad as I feared. All systems- Go!

Nobody bothers to question my sanity anymore as I mislaid it many years ago.  :popcorn:  As long as they don't run out of popcorn I should be just fine.

Valpo2013

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on January 19, 2019, 10:39:29 AM
A thought on the giveaways:
These are really great ideas. But I wish they executed them a little better. The Jersey giveaway for example. Half of them will go to the older crowd who arrives early, who will never wear them.(not saying they shouldn't take one, I realize they get passed to kids and grandkids.) Most of the rest go to students who grab them and don't stay for the game. At the last jersey giveaway I saw so many students leaving as I arrived I thought the building was on fire.

These are meant to entice people who otherwise wouldn't come to a game (and whose money you don't already have) to show up. If Valpo Guy A brings his son to the game to get a jersey, takes forever to find parking, sees students running out with jerseys, and his kid doesn't get one, that's not a very positive experience.

My suggestion would be for next year to do 1,000 jerseys in children's sizes and make it a 16 and under giveaway. Maybe do a separate giveaway at a different game for Vu students only to bring out a crowd.

This is a good post!

bbtds

Quote from: justducky on January 19, 2019, 01:27:24 PM

That is a bold statement considering your accident was I believe weather related?

Southern Lake County not as bad as I feared. All systems- Go!

Nobody bothers to question my sanity anymore as I mislaid it many years ago.  :popcorn:  As long as they don't run out of popcorn I should be just fine.

In reality accidents happen and I'm still alive. I probably have more aches and pains then before the accident and I do slow down more when driving than I did when I was younger. I'm just not going to let it effect how I attend events I truly enjoy. The amount of time we spend on the road is the thing that most determines our risk of being injured. I will slow that down in about 4 to 5 years.

oklahomamick

For us alumni that are 1,000 miles away, What's the update on the crowd size?
CRUSADERS!!!

crusadermoe

And WTF on why I can't see on ESPN3?   I'm not in the Chicago TV market.   

crusader05

no idea on crowd size but saw a tweet that the student section has a great crowd. I know at least one fraternity is having their recruitment event at the game today

VALPO LI

Student section looks great from tv.  Pike is representing :thumbsup:
Shine on Vu

VALPO LI

Quote from: crusadermoe on January 19, 2019, 03:10:08 PM
And WTF on why I can't see on ESPN3?   I'm not in the Chicago TV market.   

Game is on espn3!
Shine on Vu