• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

VU confronts the Bulldogs

Started by setshot, October 09, 2011, 02:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

setshot

In the next two weeks Valpo will be confronting the Bulldogs. We are likely to be severly bitten and mauled by both teams (Butler,Drake). In the first match up I predict that Butler will win 41-14. Then,we'll go into Des Moines with an 0-6 record and lose BIG to Drake. 0-7 makes it 0-27. Any relief in sight? :-[

historyman

Valpo    24
Butler   40

Valpo will play better but they still can't outscore anyone with the way the defense is playing.

valpopal

vu72

Butler isn't that good. They just lost to Campbell by 15.

Giving the Helmet and all I'll go with a closer game.  Butler 35 Valpo 21.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

Not many chances left this season.  We need a big game from the defense at some point this year.  We need to make our own luck and get some turnovers - to help keep our defense off the field.

VU    -   17
Butler -  38

KL31NY

I think the more intriguing question for these Bulldogs games is who's playing, especially at quarterback. Courtesy of the Times:

Carlson remarked after the game that he'll continue to evaluate the quarterbacks before deciding who will start next week at Butler.
"I'll have to look at the video, but everyone has to compete every week," Carlson said. "Eric is going to have to have a good week of practice."
Read more: http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/article_7d22fba0-3531-5b56-9e6b-455b198a53b0.html#ixzz1aUs79lgy
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

covufan

IndyValpo

Butler was been in a win one lose one mode all season.  This week needs to be a win to continue the streak.

I have a bet with a Butler colleague and to be fair we had an independent third party set a point spread.  He set it at 31.5. I have Valpo and the points.  My guess unfortunately is that we do not cover that.

cornonthe

historyman

It would be a great surprise and a great moment for another disappointing season if the defense could come through and hold Butler enough for the offense to kick in one of their better games and win one for the rivalry. I forgot what the teams exchange for a prize for this rivalry contest. Was it the Helmet of some kind?

I'm driving down to see if there will be some great surprise finally this year. Okay I also want to see Butler's campus so it really is a no loss situation for myself. Come on defense! When no one has confidence in you then you must stand up on your own two feet and show the people what you really have.

Indyvalpo---31.5 points seems like too big a spread. No one on this board has predicted that big of a margin with the up and down Butler team. Here's hoping you are off by 32.5 points. 

vu72

Could this be the game??  Trailing just 14-7 at half and out gaining the Bulldogs.
The last time we were only down 7 or less was against Franklin, 28-28 at half.

Win lose or draw you have to think this is an improvement.  I for one would consider the season a success if we beat Butler, even if it is our only win.  Keep your fingers crossed!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

setshot

21-7 in the 3Q,Butler. Damn, I wish VU could do it.

setshot

We're down 35-7 in the 4Q. 0-6 on the year and 0-26 over the past three seasons. Davidson?

KL31NY

42-14 final.

This game could have been a lot different, with a minimal chance for a win, if only a couple plays go the other way, especially early on. Offense with some good movement, but failed to end many deep drives, usually due to turnovers. Nothing special to report on defense. From my assessment, a pretty positive first half overall that fell apart for most of the second. Nice to see Valpo's "one good half per week" come in the first for a change to make for a nice fight.

Interesting Figures to Mull Over (Based off live stats):

Valpo outgained Butler offensively 463>400
Crusaders in the red zone: 2-5 (2 touchdowns, 2 turnovers on downs, 1 interception)
Half of Butler points (21/42) off Valpo giveaways, including a "pick-six"
Valpo on fourth down: 7-9, closing the game 7-of-7 after a pair of red zone turnovers on downs
Six 40+ yard Crusader drives (2 Valpo touchdowns, 2 Valpo turnovers on downs, 2 Butler interceptions)
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

historyman

I'm at the Arbys in Lafayette with my laptop. I've agreed all along that Coach Carlson should be playing the younger guys but I'm not at all convinced that the younger players that he is bringing in will develop enough even by senior year to compete in the PFL or for that matter in any div.1 football game. I really want to believe in these young players but they must start to develop more or 4 years is not enough time. Let's see if these guys can pull themselves up by their bootstraps and play another game where they don't get pounded like today. More like the Franklin game but even a more complete game.

The quarterback position is so important in the game of football and it is killing the Crusaders. Interceptions at critical times has burned them severely at many times. Of course if the defense could make a stop that would balance out some of the tough turnovers. There is a top of the hill in the horizon for Valpo football but this team is still doing a lot of slipping and making very little progress near the bottom of the hill. When Valpo makes it over that hill there will be joyous memories of the times and the fights it took to get there.

Keep on fighting Valpo! These guys do need some positive support from their fans!

It's tough but it's the only way they start pulling away from the bottom of that long hill.

IndyValpo

Just back from the game...

Definitely some positives on offense as we moved the ball all game including by the run. Interceptions and some bizarre play calling in the red zone prevented anymore than 14 points. 

The defense actually has some moments but also had some major major breakdowns.  The scary part is we graduate basically all the D Line this year and how no one of any size in the wings.

The most disappointing thing for me was that it appeared that the head coach quit with about 3 minutes to go. We made no attempt to score after taking the ball at about the 50.

milanmiracle

Quote from: IndyValpo on October 15, 2011, 05:32:26 PMThe most disappointing thing for me was that it appeared that the head coach quit with about 3 minutes to go. We made no attempt to score after taking the ball at about the 50.

Just wondering what they did in the last 3 minutes? Was it a run up the middle situation to end the game, or did they just not call plays that were working?

"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

IndyValpo

2 runs, 2 short passes, normal speed play calling, it was like we in ball contraol mode.  We let 30 seconds run off the clock before Butler punted.

sectionee

Sounds like they need a field goal kicker.

historyman

Quote from: KL31NY on October 15, 2011, 02:41:24 PM
42-14 final.

This game could have been a lot different, with a minimal chance for a win, if only a couple plays go the other way, especially early on. Offense with some good movement, but failed to end many deep drives, usually due to turnovers. Nothing special to report on defense. From my assessment, a pretty positive first half overall that fell apart for most of the second. Nice to see Valpo's "one good half per week" come in the first for a change to make for a nice fight.

Interesting Figures to Mull Over (Based off live stats):

Valpo outgained Butler offensively 463>400
Crusaders in the red zone: 2-5 (2 touchdowns, 2 turnovers on downs, 1 interception)
Half of Butler points (21/42) off Valpo giveaways, including a "pick-six"
Valpo on fourth down: 7-9, closing the game 7-of-7 after a pair of red zone turnovers on downs
Six 40+ yard Crusader drives (2 Valpo touchdowns, 2 Valpo turnovers on downs, 2 Butler interceptions)

I just didn't think the long drives without points mean anything if you know the offense will find some way to blow it. I realize that is a pessimistic view but maybe fairly realistic. It was a good surprise when Valpo did score. The same really goes for the defense. When they were seemlyly making good plays you knew they would make a mistake and let Butler make a big play that took away all the positive plays for the Valpo defense. There certainly are things that can be built on but how far does this team need to progress before they can play a decent game against a fair div.1 team. Time seems to be already running out on the young players if they don't make huge strides in progress over the remaining games of the season and the off season. Making big plays is a huge part of the game of football. Driving down the field and always finding some way to blow up the drive by making mistakes at the end really is not a positive. Football is a game of big plays and this Valpo team can't seem to make big plays.  My rant is over. I hope you can feel some of my frustration with this team.

Also field goals in those situations would have made the score about 9 points closer. So we lose 42-23. So what!

covufan

I too looked at the box score and was both pleasantly surprised and frustrated.  How can a team that controlled the ball for 38 minutes lose 42-14.  VU was better offensively than Butler, but the three turnovers really hurt - especially the INT return for TD.  Hopefully, this is the offense we can expect in the future, and maybe keep the defense off the field. 

covufan

Bulldogs Part Deux (stolen from another post):

This Drake team could be better than last years, who we played close at Brown Field.  Drake is coming off of a loss at San Diego.  Can we catch them off guard?  I hope so. 

VU  -  21
Drake - 35

VU keeps it close until the fourth quarter.

Valpo89

Quote from: covufan on October 18, 2011, 11:56:36 AM
Bulldogs Part Deux (stolen from another post):

This Drake team could be better than last years, who we played close at Brown Field.  Drake is coming off of a loss at San Diego.  Can we catch them off guard?  I hope so. 

VU  -  21
Drake - 35

VU keeps it close until the fourth quarter.

VU has rarely played well against Drake, even the so-called halfway decent teams. (I hesitate to call any VU football team of the last 25 years "good," even the 2003 team that won the PFL).

The Crusaders will score their normal 14 points, and give up at least 42.

valpopal

After guessing the Butler score perfectly at 42-14, and guessing the Valpo score exactly but just missing the San Diego total by one touchdown, I'm hesitant to press my good luck, but I will give it a shot:

Valpo  14
Drake  52