• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #24 Valpo @ Illinois State 2/5/19 @ 7pm espn+

Started by VU2014, February 04, 2019, 07:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justducky

Quote from: bbtds on February 05, 2019, 08:08:07 PM
It's a good thing nobody is doing a plus/minus calculation on this game because Evelyn's calculation would be very negative while Freeman's would be very positive.

I would call this Evelyn's worst game with Deion also below normal. Despite that we won on the road!

I'm still thinking something is wrong with Bakari. This is not the same guy we were watching last February.

A heads up message to Matt.-------------------When Fazekas returns the inside will really start to open back up for our centers. All of our outside players need work on their entry passes to the post. When the ball gets inside cleanly good things happen.  :thumbsup:

bbtds

As I predicted in mid-January this team will be streaky this year and tonight's result falls into that pattern

Quote from: bbtds on January 29, 2019, 10:36:29 PMI made this prediction before the Northern Iowa game which we won.

Quote from: bbtds on January 18, 2019, 12:52:23 PM
QuoteI'm afraid the team will be very streaky this year and we are going to be on a downward streak. Grittiness only goes so far. It was good for a turn around but is not sustainable all conference season. Poor shooting and lack of confidence will do us in.

crusadermoe

Just looked at the box score.

Unsung hero was John Kiser.   

7 rebounds   
3 steals
     and 36 minutes played!!!

NativeCheesehead

So when I said I was going to drink during the weeknight game, CLEARLY I meant that I had so much faith in my team that I didn't need to stress a game we'd win easily.

Was that not clear?

RS

A couple of interesting comments on the Illinois State fan forum. One poster commenting on Javon and how the Redbirds should try to recruit Chicago more and then stated that Freeman tried to get out of the Valpo commitment. Another called him a complete showboat and not like a typical MVC player and one he will hate the rest of his career. Sour grapes on both? Did anyone watch the game and think Javon was show boating? Freeman is an exceptional freshman and leave it at that.

PlumStreetBum

He was celebrating those 3s more than you generally see in Valley play, especially from the visiting team. That said, it wasn't egregious. He also stared down the Redbird who fouled him on the breakaway dunk, but it was a bad foul, too late to affect the shot, so that was definitely justified.
I think it's more sour grapes than anything.
On another note, I'd like to see Kiser keep a lot of his minutes when Fazekas returns. His play tonight was outstanding.

VUBBFan

Quote from: RS on February 05, 2019, 10:04:00 PMA couple of interesting comments on the Illinois State fan forum. One poster commenting on Javon and how the Redbirds should try to recruit Chicago more and then stated that Freeman tried to get out of the Valpo commitment. Another called him a complete showboat and not like a typical MVC player and one he will hate the rest of his career. Sour grapes on both? Did anyone watch the game and think Javon was show boating? Freeman is an exceptional freshman and leave it at that.

I'd say it's sour grapes. Javon doesn't go in your face or heckle like Phil Fayne. I sit close to the floor and Fayne was constantly trash talking and complaining when they played at Valpo. I've never really heard Javon go back at the other team ( if he does, it is done  quietly). He just plays hard and dunks. I think if he was trying to get out of his commitment we would have hear about it. So I think it's ISU fans being upset because they lost.

wh

Quote from: RS on February 05, 2019, 10:04:00 PM
A couple of interesting comments on the Illinois State fan forum. One poster commenting on Javon and how the Redbirds should try to recruit Chicago more and then stated that Freeman tried to get out of the Valpo commitment. Another called him a complete showboat and not like a typical MVC player and one he will hate the rest of his career. Sour grapes on both? Did anyone watch the game and think Javon was show boating? Freeman is an exceptional freshman and leave it at that.

Unlike Sean Payton, who decommitted from Illinois State exactly 1 year ago, Javon committed to Valpo early and never wavered.

BHS star Payton decommits from ISU, reopens recruitment
January 24, 2018

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/illinois-state/bhs-star-payton-decommits-from-isu-reopens-recruitment/article_60b07871-496f-59cb-a108-f421e581cc16.amp.html

justducky

Quote from: PlumStreetBum on February 05, 2019, 10:14:48 PMOn another note, I'd like to see Kiser keep a lot of his minutes when Fazekas returns. His play tonight was outstanding.

Another plus was Markus. Still looks like maybe 85% but is progressing nicely. Could he be 100% by Sunday?

may know

Redbird board also has comments how they're above the MVC and need to escape ASAP.

I have no idea what's in the water to make fans of a program who's never been to the Sweet 16 and hasn't played in the NCAA Tournament in decades think they're so special, but they have some clearly deranged posters out of touch with reality.

To be fair, I've never seen one ISUr poster on the MVC board like that. Their low IQ posters seem to be specifically constrained to their fan board.

may know

The wins over ISUr and UNI and the subsequent tears are delicious.

Javon is the most efficient freshman in the league.

ML's achilles heel with personnel all year has been trying to make a certain player happen.

bbtds

Quote from: may know on February 05, 2019, 11:53:24 PM
The wins over ISUr and UNI and the subsequent tears are delicious.

Javon is the most efficient freshman in the league.

ML's achilles heel with personnel all year has been trying to make a certain player happen.

yes, it's quite evident that putting this team on the back of Javon Freeman and minimizing the role of Bakari Evelyn is a no brainer for the head coach yet Lottich is still trying to make Bakari the leader of the team.

usc4valpo

Looks like Freeman is now the man! That's exciting to see. Now Valpo needs to acquire more quality Chitown talent to raise the momentum.

The MVC is one roller coaster of a conference, but at the end I think Loyola will rise from the chaos. They have decent talent and the best coaching in the conference.

valpotx

They are still bitter that Peters wanted nothing to do with their school
"Don't mess with Texas"

RS

As I did not watch the game last night was there a reason why Lavender only played 10 minutes? was he injured? Was not in foul trouble according to the score sheet. Just wondering.

M

Fantastic win...concerned that we still had multiple long stretches where the team didn't score. Nice to listen to them get hot from the start and pour in a few more 3 pointers.

VU2014

Quote from: usc4valpo on February 06, 2019, 06:29:42 AM
Looks like Freeman is now the man! That's exciting to see. Now Valpo needs to acquire more quality Chitown talent to raise the momentum.

The MVC is one roller coaster of a conference, but at the end I think Loyola will rise from the chaos. They have decent talent and the best coaching in the conference.

Valpo currently has offers to only Morgan Park's Marcus Watson (2020). I'm sure more offers will come to Chicago before all is said and done. Watson is a true PG and floor general for such a young player. He made a name for him last month by having 21 assist game. His only 2 offers are from Valpo and Chicago State.

One name that I've heard the staff is really recruiting hard is Isaiah Rivera out of Geneseo, IL. He's not flying under the radar.

Would also love for us to land Christopher Mantis (Lowell and I believe he's Dave Huseman's nephew or related to him in some way) and Doug Konieczny (VUWBB Nicole Konieczny's little brother). Both guys are going to be studs

vufan75

Quote from: wh on February 05, 2019, 10:54:03 PM
Dan Muller post game press conference:

https://goredbirds.com/watch/?Archive=9062&type=Archive
Coach Muller seems like a standup guy. He is blunt about his own team and gives credit to opponents when they do well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

valpo84

Lavender looked off last night.  He seems to struggle against certain teams and defenses, and last night the 2/3 ISUr was running bottled him up.  When he committed the foul on the 3 that sent Gassman to the line, he caused me to exclaim to my wife, "get him out of the game."  It is rare for me to do say that, but it was maybe his 3d mental lapse in a short spell.  The Valpo drought is a common thing.  It usually begins when the 2d unit comes in and there are no scorers on the floor.  Bakari and Deion are good experienced players but the offense bogs down and bad shot selection takes over.  The first 5-6 minutes last night was great ball movement and set up open 3s that were knocked down.  This team the past 2 years goes as those first shots go.  It is a streaky team in games and over a series of games.  BTW Kiser hit 2 open 3s last night.  Those are huge because then they can't sag the lane on him and then boom, Sackey, Freeman and DeBakari can get to the basket. 

When I broadcast, I often discuss the lost art of the entry pass to the center.  It's a finesse pass as you have to judge height, speed, direction and positioning/skill of the defensive player.  You can't force it, but you also have to figure out an angle so that you can have the ball move in and out, so when it goes side to side, it's with purpose.  The big guys also have to give you a spot to throw to, and it helps if they can catch a bounce pass (Vashii struggled with those).  The last 5 mins, the entry passes were much better and the Big Guy could was fed all he could eat. 
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

VUBBFan

Quote from: crusadermoe on February 05, 2019, 09:19:35 PMJust looked at the box score. Unsung hero was John Kiser. 7 rebounds 3 steals and 36 minutes played!!!
I agree, he is a good team player and just contributes where ever he's placed or asked to do.
He even volunteered to do the team laundry after games because they couldn't find anybody to do it this year. He really gets down and Gritty.

a3uge

Quote from: wh on February 04, 2019, 09:22:03 PM
Sorry, but I don't see the Crusaders winning another game until Ryan comes back. In fact, an argument could be made that we're the worst team in the MVC right now. We at least have the most dysfunctional offense.

ILSU 75 Valpo 55

BTW the O/U is 132. To win at that number, we would have to score a minimum of 67 points. I would bet a lot of money against that happening.
Well, at least you were right about the under.

talksalot

Sackey had a 6 assist 4 TO game... for you folks tracking the O/Us...

One of the categories was more Assists than Turnovers... He needs to reach 18+games...

Through 24...

9 games with more Assists that Turnovers
8 games with more Turnovers than Assists
7 games with the same number of turnovers and assists.

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteDid anyone watch the game and think Javon was show boating?

No, he was fine. That was just ISUr fans being salty because we whipped their team on their home floor. Also, it's a rich criticism coming from a team that was selling poster-sized versions of that photo of Williams' soaring dunk over Mileek in Normal last season. (Which is an *awesome* photo, BTW, but you can't then turn around and not expect the team that spent the last year looking at a photo of their teammate being posterized to not respond with some emphasis when they get revenge).

Great team win last night. Everyone played pretty well across the board and contributed even if not on the stat sheet. Gotta figure out how to not give up the 16-2 run in 4 minutes while holding a 21-point lead in the second half, though.