• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #28 SIU @ the ARC 2/20/19 7pm

Started by VUSWIM08-12, February 19, 2019, 12:07:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlumStreetBum

mj

Why does Bakari take the last shot every. single. time.

Seriously what the hell.
I believe that we will win.

hckjag

Quote from: mj on February 20, 2019, 08:53:18 PM
Why does Bakari take the last shot every. single. time.

Seriously what the hell.

Because Bakari waves everyone out of the way and says I got this boys. And then....

SanityLost17

I have been staying positive...  I really have... 

BUT WHY IS BAKARI STILL ALLOWED TO HAVE THE BALL IN HIS HANDS TO END GAMES.   FOR THE THE LOVE OF GOD LOTTICH NOBODY ON THIS MESSAGE BOARD HAS BEEN MORE FAIRLY CRITICAL OF YOU THAN ME.  DON'T ALLOW BAKARI TO EVER HAVE THE BALL IN HIS HANDS AGAIN TO END A HALF OR I WILL CALL FOR YOUR HEAD KING LOUIS XVI STYLE.  WHY??????????  NO STATS CAN BACK UP HIM HAVING THE BALL TO CLOSE A GAME!!!!!!

mj

Is Valpo a really a well coached team? 

bigmosmithfan1

How in the hell do these guys get a college scholarship without being able to shoot FTs? (Not just us, SIU too). It's a very basic (and simple, yes -- simple) skill, and coaches are dumb for not insisting on it.

oklahomamick

Love it Sanity.  Retirement is treating you well.  I knew you had it in you.
CRUSADERS!!!

nkvu

Well, we tried to give it away at the end with missed free throws but hung on by the skin of our teeth. So now I guess we can say we've won more conference games than last year at the very least.

Be nice to add another one or even two.

SanityLost17

Who has a connection with the team?  Somebody do a smoke signal, messenger pigeon. bat signal.....Anything to alert Bakari he can never have the ball in his hands ever again in the last 2 minutes of a game. And I mean ever.  Who the hell does he think he is waiving people off?  Lottich should have called a timeout and benched him for simply asking for the ball to close a half.   

oklahomamick

I have criticized Lottich and Valpo bball (rightfully so)

Now it's the Solukis turn.

They have 3 seniors and 2 juniors starting.  Some Preseason conference players and picked to finish top 3.  Half the team is majoring in Recreation or University studies.  What the hell is that?  Shut the school down already, if you are just handing out made up degrees.

And the bball team just got swept by a poorly coached Valpo team.
CRUSADERS!!!

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: SanityLost17 on February 20, 2019, 09:01:21 PM
Who has a connection with the team?  Somebody do a smoke signal, messenger pigeon. bat signal.....Anything to alert Bakari he can never have the ball in his hands ever again in the last 2 minutes of a game. And I mean ever.  Who the hell does he think he is waiving people off?  Lottich should have called a timeout and benched him for simply asking for the ball to close a half.

2nd

I'm hoping Gordon and Robinson limit / eliminate his playing time next season.

mj

Quote from: SanityLost17 on February 20, 2019, 09:01:21 PMWho has a connection with the team?  Somebody do a smoke signal, messenger pigeon. bat signal.....Anything to alert Bakari he can never have the ball in his hands ever again in the last 2 minutes of a game. And I mean ever.  Who the hell does he think he is waiving people off?  Lottich should have called a timeout and benched him for simply asking for the ball to close a half.   

Dude is literally our worst shooter in conference play. Yet we keep going back to him every single time. Doing the same thing, over and over, hoping for a different result. Definition of insanity.

SanityLost17

I have calmed down.   

New approach. 

Somebody who knows literally ANY member of the team other than Bakari.  Message them and tell them it is their responsibility to not let Bakari have the ball in the last 2 minutes.  Don't even pass to him.   Just tell them, "hey, we tried Bakari about 15 times this season to end halves this season and so far he hasn't hit a shot, and most of the time he throws the ball in the air or dribbles it off his foot, sooo...don't pass it to him, be a leader and take the ball."

S#*t, I guess that was still mean....  Oh well.  Other players, please take charge!  He is not the guy to close halves.  He is at best a spot up 3 point shooter and doesn't have a drive to the basket.     

VUSL98

We didn't play all that well- Too many turnovers- yet we won.  Maybe due to a few good breaks.  Think about the season and all the bad breaks that went against us.  That may be the difference between a winning and a losing season.  The talent is there, but so are the turnovers, bad fouls, etc.

M

Valpo got lucky the clock ran out (even that almost didn't happen).

Good defense, yes maybe, but terrible offense by SIU. Quite a few of those turnovers were really unforced. I will say they did a great job on Pippen.

Refs were allowing them to grad Fazekas every cut he made. Freeman too. Think our guys need a few acting lessons (not Ind St flopping level though) to sell these non calls.

mj

SanityLost17

Quote from: SanityLost17 on February 20, 2019, 01:36:22 PM
All I know is the following would go a long way for us to resurrect our season. 
1. We beat SIU (we are due for a home win)
2. MoSt beats UNI (MoSt on fire lately)
3. Bradley already lost last night to Drake so thats good   :thumbsup:
4. IndSt upsets IllSt (unlikely but since we have already swept ILLSt this is the least imperative result)

If we can put together a 3-1 streak here to end the season we can still avoid Thursday.  We are in a fight with SIU/UNI/ILLSt/Bradley to make that happen.  More games they lose the better.  We have already swept IllSt and we get the chance to play SIU/UNI/Bradley -- albeit 2 on the road.  No better way to advance your cause than to win head to head against the teams your are battling for position with.  We don't have to pass all 4 of them in the standings, just 2 of them.  I chose to remain optimistic until there is no choice but to lose hope.

BTW -- This is the one thing I didn't understand about USH podcast.  They thought the tie breakers were not in our favor but Considering we have the opportunity to sweep a bunch of teams in the middle I actually think the tie-breakers could work out in our favor if we the right games.

Back to being positive.  We are currently in 6th due to sweeping both ILLSt and SIU (who are in 7th and 8th on the tie-breaker).   We play the 4th and 5th place teams on the road next (UNI and Bradley)!   If we can find a way to steal one on the road and beat Evansville at home we are all but assured a top 6 finish.   

I really would like to see MoSt on our side of the bracket as I think we match up well against them.

How is Golder, any word?     

oklahomamick

Will the team fly out to N. Iowa and then travel from there to Bradley? 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpopal

I guess a win is a win but that was an ugly game. The two teams combined to shoot 41% on field goals, 27% from the 3-point line, 56% from the free throw line, and committed 34 turnovers. SIU scored no field goals in the last 4:32 of the game, and Valpo scored no points at all in the last 2:07. The officiating wasn't much better since there were a couple of out of bounds calls that were clearly wrong, and somehow despite his mauling players at times, Pippen played the whole game without committing a single foul in the eyes of the officials.   

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: SanityLost17 on February 20, 2019, 09:41:25 PM
Quote from: SanityLost17 on February 20, 2019, 01:36:22 PM
All I know is the following would go a long way for us to resurrect our season. 
1. We beat SIU (we are due for a home win)
2. MoSt beats UNI (MoSt on fire lately)
3. Bradley already lost last night to Drake so thats good   :thumbsup:
4. IndSt upsets IllSt (unlikely but since we have already swept ILLSt this is the least imperative result)

If we can put together a 3-1 streak here to end the season we can still avoid Thursday.  We are in a fight with SIU/UNI/ILLSt/Bradley to make that happen.  More games they lose the better.  We have already swept IllSt and we get the chance to play SIU/UNI/Bradley -- albeit 2 on the road.  No better way to advance your cause than to win head to head against the teams your are battling for position with.  We don't have to pass all 4 of them in the standings, just 2 of them.  I chose to remain optimistic until there is no choice but to lose hope.

BTW -- This is the one thing I didn't understand about USH podcast.  They thought the tie breakers were not in our favor but Considering we have the opportunity to sweep a bunch of teams in the middle I actually think the tie-breakers could work out in our favor if we the right games.

Back to being positive.  We are currently in 6th due to sweeping both ILLSt and SIU (who are in 7th and 8th on the tie-breaker).   We play the 4th and 5th place teams on the road next (UNI and Bradley)!   If we can find a way to steal one on the road and beat Evansville at home we are all but assured a top 6 finish.   

I really would like to see MoSt on our side of the bracket as I think we match up well against them.

How is Golder, any word?   

Read somewhere that tie breakers aren't head-to-heads any longer.  Isn't it that new national ranking?

M

Sorolla got away with a few mailings of his own luckily.

Some odd calls and non calls for sure.

GoldenCrusader87

Good news: We won. And we desperately needed it. Thankful for the win. Hopeful it'll spur on the team to finish strong and get another couple wins before the regular season comes to a close. Finally got a win at home - we deserved that.

Not so good news: Much of what's plagued this team and worried me thus far will not suddenly go away, and a win like today's or even any single game performance will not answer a lot of the overall questions I have about the direction of the team. That's a terrible Southern Illinois team. Glad we swept them, as we should.

Next up .... let's see how Saturday goes.

PlumStreetBum

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 20, 2019, 09:47:29 PM
Read somewhere that tie breakers aren't head-to-heads any longer.  Isn't it that new national ranking?

Tiebreaker rules:
http://mvc-sports.com/news/2018/12/18/arch-madness-revises-tiebreaker.aspx

Head to head is first, then NET ranking as of March 3 if head to head is an even split.

valpotx

I was so excited to watch us play again...that I completely lost track of time and missed my first game in around 10 years :).

Are we in 5th now, since we are 5-0 against the other three 5th place teams?
"Don't mess with Texas"

EddieCabot

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 20, 2019, 09:46:13 PM
Will the team fly out to N. Iowa and then travel from there to Bradley?

That's a lot of time away from campus.  I would assume they charter to NIU so guys are back for Monday and Tuesday classes, then bus to Peoria late on Tuesday.  I'm sure ml, ml2 or others can correct me if I'm wrong.